Advice on ordering 3500HD that will be a flatbed

I am considering a 2021 3500HD that will be fitted with a flatbed for a truck camper. If I go through the build website and delete the bed, many options are also removed. So I am thinking of a build with the bed and then remove it later.

Have others done this and would like to pass on their experiences?

What options should not be selected? For example, the flatbed I will use probably will not need the rear bumper, so options with sensors in that bumper should not be selected.

Can the trailering option work in this situation?

Thanks for any help!

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk

Factory bed delete code:

ZW9         Pickup bed, delete, includes capped fuel fill, (SFW) Back-up alarm calibration, (9J4) rear bumper delete, (9L3) spare tire delete and spare tire carrier delete. Deletes (SAF) tire carrier lock, standard tailgate and (A60) locking tailgate
On WT and LT -  Requires long bed model and 17" or 18 " wheels. 
On LTZ -  Requires long bed model and 17" or 18 " wheels. Not available with (CWM) Technology Package. 

On HC - not available 

Planning on a slide-in camper style or wanting to pull a trailer?

What 'trailering options' are you interested in?

There are a bunch of 'trailering' related order codes in the order guide. 

Some are not available with bed delete. 

Some examples: 

Z82    Trailering Package, includes trailer hitch, 7-pin connector and (CTT) Hitch Guidance
 -- Is standard, but gets deleted when (ZW9) pickup bed delete is ordered.

VSX    Trailering Information Label, provides max trailer ratings for tongue weight, conventional, gooseneck and 5th wheel trailering
 -  Not available with (ZW9) pickup bed delete. 

CMT         Gooseneck / 5th Wheel Package, includes (Z6A) Gooseneck / 5th Wheel Prep Package
On WT -  Regular Cab model requires (PCV) WT Convenience Package. Includes (JL1) Trailer brake controller and (CGN) Chevytec spray-on bedliner. Not available with (ZW9) pickup bed delete. 
On LT -  Includes (CGN) Chevytec spray-on bedliner. Not available with (ZW9) pickup bed delete. 
On LTZ -  Includes (CGN) Chevytec spray-on bedliner and (UVN) Bed View Camera. Not available with (ZW9) pickup bed delete. When (PCN) LTZ Convenience Package II is ordered, (UVN) Bed View Camera is already included. 

Right now I am thinking of this platform:

https://ok4wd.com/camping-overland/overland-explorer-camp-hudson-bay-edition-camper

The picture is on a regular bed, but there is also a 8'. I like the 8' because the rear of camper is flush to back of truck which makes towing possible.

Edited by mobilelists

As far as options go.  Since I would also like the option to pull a trailer, the options to make that easy would be nice.  They mention the 360 degree camera view around the trailer.  If there are cameras in the bumper, then it would not work.  The GMC upfitter site has a cable package to move the rear camera from the bed door but no mention of trailer camera.

At a minimum the Z82 is needed.  But what if any camera feature does it include?

Anything related to the bed...coatings, camera electrical...are not needed.

Many thanks,

Pat

Z82 is gonna be an issue if you want (ZW9) bed delete, since picking bed delete option will also delete (Z82) trailer towing.

Z82 is standard, if the bed is not deleted and the rear bumper is not deleted

Is a slide-in out of the question?

I have somewhat come to the realization that it needs to be built with the bed. After I get it, I would then remove and sell the bed. Just need to make sure there are no bumper sensors since it will probally have to go.

Are there other sensors that would cause issues with the bed removed?

$60,000 wow.    How can they justify that much for even a handbuilt camper top??  It looks cool..... but wow.  

OP have you looked at custom built Mercedes overland vehicles or off road capable small campers?  

You will be invested 120,000sh and still have to deal with removing a bed and still have a camping ability thats marginally better then sleeping in your truck.

It is expensive to have fun! You have to see some other popups like the Nimbl.

This approach gives me a flatbed for use around the farm. Then when traveling a gasser that is easy to get fixed. The MB is great but not easy to get worked on in many places.

On 11/26/2020 at 11:06 PM, mobilelists said:

I have somewhat come to the realization that it needs to be built with the bed. After I get it, I would then remove and sell the bed. Just need to make sure there are no bumper sensors since it will probally have to go.

Are there other sensors that would cause issues with the bed removed?

Any reputable flat bed builder can incorporate the reverse sensors and a camera.  Look up the gm upfitters guide for "re" placement of the rear view camera (center line, certain height, etc).  The Blind spot sensors won't work with a flatbed since they are integrated behind the standard bumper - you should be able to turn this off.

No idea how the 360 cameras work when some are blocked (your cameras in the 3rd brake light).

Recommend you purchase with a bed to get complete VIN - price difference is only $900 when you include the spare tire.  Presume you are going srw (should be more than enough payload) since GM will not sell a chassi cab without drw.

If you want luxury goodies, just get an LT with all the options and leather.

That is one awesome camper...redarc included.

• 1 month later...

What is included in the second alternator option? Is it simply an alternator to which I would directly connect wiring or is there a connection block and fuse on the truck firewall?

Thank you.....getting near an order.

KW7    Alternator, 170 amps
1 -  Requires (L8T) 6.6L V8 gas engine.     

KW5         Alternator, 220 amps
1 -  Included with (L5P) Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8 engine or (VYU) Snow Plow Prep/Camper Package. Free flow on (L8T) 6.6L V8 gas engine.     

KHF         Alternators, dual, 220-amps primary, 170-amps auxiliary
1 -  With (L8T) 6.6L V8 gas engine, (K4B) 730 cold-cranking amps/70 Amp-hr auxiliary battery is required.    

Battery, heavy-duty 720 cold-cranking amps/80 Amp-hr, maintenance-free with rundown protection and retained accessory power
1 -  Included and only available with (L8T) 6.6L V8 gas engine.    

Battery, heavy-duty dual 730 cold-cranking amps/70 Amp-hr, maintenance-free with rundown protection and retained accessory power
1 -  Included and only available with (L5P) Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8 engine.     

K4B         Battery, auxiliary, 730 cold-cranking amps/70 Amp-hr
1 -  Requires (L8T) 6.6L V8 gas engine and either (KW5) 220-amp alternator or (KHF) dual alternators. Not available with (KW7) 170-amp alternator.

Thank you for the details. As I look at the list and a couple other articles I see that GM dual alternators is not what I need. I am looking for a separate alternator that could be dedicated to a camper/trailer and not interfere with the truck's charging system. There are packages like that (ie Nations), just wanted to check if that was the GM dual option.

15 minutes ago, mobilelists said:

Thank you for the details. As I look at the list and a couple other articles I see that GM dual alternators is not what I need. I am looking for a separate alternator that could be dedicated to a camper/trailer and not interfere with the truck's charging system. There are packages like that (ie Nations), just wanted to check if that was the GM dual option.

Do you have a dealer that you are dealing with now?

If so, ask to speak directly to the fleet manager who orders the trucks. They should be able to give you some insight on what can be done.