6.0 Block heater

I recently sold my WRX which fit in my garage....and thus was the vehicle I normally drove when it was snowy or crummy out. Now that I am parking outside again (my truck doesn't fit in the garage) I remember how much it sucks to have to clean the snow and ice off before being able to drive. 

I have remote start, and that works okay but I really hate just letting the truck run to get everything thawed out, plus it takes a while if it has an inch plus of ice. 

I have read that the factory block heaters only work when its very cold out. This doesnt interest me as I want it on whenever its snowing out. Maybe try aftermarket and just clear the CEL when it comes on? 

Does anyone have experience with a coolant circulating pump/heater? If I plumb that to the heater core it would help keep some heat in the cab itself and maybe keep it from icing up as badly? Other option might be to just run a 12v electric heater in the cab for a few hrs off an extension cord, but not sure how I feel about doing this. I need to build a bigger garage but that wont be for a few more years. Anyone have suggestions? Just suck it up? 

Truck is a 2016 2500HD 6.0 gas

The GM block heaters don't activate until around 0F. They will not prevent your windows from icing.

A circulating pump will keep that coolant warmer but will not prevent your windows from icing.
Basically it warms the cab quicker, and I suppose defrosts the windows slightly faster but if you're dressed for winter, not a noticeable difference.

For frost and light ice, Prestone De-icer windshield spray for your washer sprayer tank instead of the blue shyt is your best friend. And good gloves and good scraper. Yeah, suck it up.

I know a guy who runs an internal 120V heater tapped into the block heater circuit and it keeps the windows clear but will not melt inches of snow from the windows. Runs it on a timer starting a few hours before go time.
Said it is for a semi truck or something but I could not find one online so not sure exactly what it was. I don't work there anymore.

Sent from the demons in my head

Thinking the the 110v heater in the cab might be the way to go. Timer for a couple hrs before I go only on days its got frozen snow on it. 

I dont mind the cold, I like it. But the other day it took me 30+ minutes to get the 3 inches of pure slush that had turned to ice off it just enough to drive. Unfortunately weather events like this are seeming more common. 

34 minutes ago, Colossus said:

My block heater will work when it gets into the 30s? 

Are you asking that or saying that?

After like 2005-2006 the GM block heaters have a thermostat that wouldn't connect the contacts until it's below 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Years before that would work at any temp.

Hmmm I have been fine getting up a little early when I notice snow and brush the truck off 20 minutes at all is fine but sometimes need to remember to check the windows that there not frozen shut if so releasing the seal on the outside with a card is a quick trick.

I use to have a heater in my subaru but when it snowed made it really hard to get all the slushy snow and ice off the car is more of an annoyance. Although didn't have a timer so it was set for 40f all night.

Also if you don't yet make sure to keep the windshield wipers up when you park so no ice builds up.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Also if you don't yet make sure to keep the windshield wipers up when you park so no ice builds up.

This is one of the things I like about the Frostguard cover.... it has more than enough material to cover the wiper blade rest area

This is one of the things I like about the Frostguard cover.... it has more than enough material to cover the wiper blade rest area
I had one it barely fit it was too much work.
It only snows once a week on average and stays cold under 20f all day if not under 0 so the snow is easy and never any ice as long as its not from melted snow from warming the truck

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

On 12/9/2020 at 8:00 PM, CamGTP said:

Are you asking that or saying that?

After like 2005-2006 the GM block heaters have a thermostat that wouldn't connect the contacts until it's below 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Years before that would work at any temp.

On 2- 2008 Duramax Diesels and 1- 2012 Duramax Diesel I have owned, the block heater has most certainly engaged in the 30s when plugged in.  I base this upon the truck starting up quickly as though it is already warmed up, and the glow plugs cycle is very short, and I get heat much quicker.  The cord thermostat is intact, nothing was bypassed.  unplugged, It is definitely a cold engine start.  3-4 seconds on the glow plugs warming up before start, and slow cranking and nothing warming up fast. 

I saw 6.0 in the post title. I should have clarified, when mentioning 0F, I was talking about GM gas engines, not diesels.

Here is what they say for a 2017 6.0 gas engine. My 2006 6.0 gas engine was the same.

8a99d02736f227cffc4a65b51f8e0ef7.jpg

Sent from the demons in my head

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dplarson said:

I saw 6.0 in the post title. I should have clarified, when mentioning 0F, I was talking about GM gas engines, not diesels.

Here is what they say for a 2017 6.0 gas engine. My 2006 6.0 gas engine was the same.

FWIW, the Duramax supplements all say the same / similar as above.  (04.5 LLY, '10 LMM, '11 LML, '18 L5P,  '21 LM2) 

From the  04.5 supplement - "When the outside temperature drops below 0° F (–18°C), use of the engine coolant heater is recommended."

From the '11 supplement - "The engine coolant heater can provide easier starting and better fuel economy during engine warm-up in cold weather conditions at or below −18°C (0°F)." 

LM2 wording is identical to the 04.5 wording. 

GM claims the LM2 will start unaided at -20F.

From techlink article  https://gm-techlink.com/?p=12389

"Also inform the customer to avoid engine block heater use in temperatures above 0°F/–18°C. While the owner’s manual states an engine block heater should be used in temperatures less than 0°F/–18°C, it isn’t vital until much lower temperatures of less than –13°F/–25°C."

We've had lots of older mechanical diesels around here that needed to be plugged in when it was at / below  30 to 40*F.

Some still needed a sniff of ether to start, or use of glow plugs (but not both) and ran like crap til they warmed up. "

Sorry about the hijack / side-track of the tread, but point is GM gives the same block heater temperature range usage recommendation for the diesels - and has done so for many years.  That they are not being required above 0*F is nothing new.  imho, cold weather starting ability is another benefit of the high pressure common rail injection systems.  

One difference on the diesels (3.0L and 6.6L dmax) , the block heater (rpo KO5) is included with the engine option. (Presumably same for the 2.8L)

• Like 1