Class action lawsuit over oil loss

Shouldn't even need to check the oil on something with 50k miles on it (that's when my Silverado started burning). I've got a 274k mile 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis that doesn't even burn oil! Sure, it leaks out the rear main ... but the damn thing was old enough to vote almost 2 decades ago!

My truck is going to be 14 in a few months - 103k miles -  already replaced the rear end, transmission, brakes going on EIGHT times, entire front end back when it was barely out of warranty, suspension not long after, 4x4 switch failure, front diff leaks ... Our Marquis still has the original driveline from front to back, and is even running the original OE in-tank electric fuel pump! THIS is how automakers USED to build vehicles. Now they charge 3x as much for 1/10th the quality.

About time someone sues the sh$t out of this company. People need to get pissed and STOP accepting garbage for their hard-earned money!!

And I hope the lawsuit isn't limited to just the LC9 - they frigged up EVERY AFM system, not just on the LC9 ...

Looks like they got the years messed up.  Should be 2007-2013s with AFM, not just "2010-2014s with LC9 engines".  LC9s weren't the only ones with AFM, and 2014 was the next generation.  The 2007-2009 models had more problems than the 2010-2013s, which supposedly had the TSB "fixes" installed at the factory.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diyer2 said:

WOW Jsdirt.

I would say go buy another brand but you would probably be just as negative. 

Well, they're all junk - am I supposed to be happy about spending $50-$85-LARGE and having nothing but problems?? I guess you didn't grow up in the same era I did, back when cars were actually built to LAST ... and cost 1/3rd what they do now.

Edited by Jsdirt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

For the wiseguys saying "check the oil" and "low oil warning", there is a reason why GM says to in the owner's manual to check the oil at every fuel stop--they knew all about the problems and spent years trying to act like there were no problems, trying to sandbag us with insane "oil level monitoring procedures" until we were off of warranty.  They would overfill the oil level on purpose to try to hide how much oil it was using.  Threats of class-action suits like this current one finally got them to abandon that crap and come out with some TSBs back in about 2010-11 that never did entirely fix the problem.  There is no "low oil warning" message, at least not on a 2009 LC9.  You can drive it until it's 3 quarts low (6 quart capacity) and until the oil pressure goes down, you'll never get a warning of any kind.  This is the reason they went to 8 quart oilpans on the next generation--you could be down 2-3 quarts and still have some oil left.  I wholeheartedly support any class action suit of this type, knowing full well the lawyers will get rich and the vehicle owners may get a $20 check if they're lucky.  But I'll gladly take the $20 and put it towards a jug of oil.  Lord knows how many barrels of oil our 2009 LC9 has burned through, even after the TSB work was performed.  Before the TSB work was done, at highway speeds, it was burning at least a quart and a half of quality Dexos1 oil every 100 miles.  Nothing quite like having a new 2-3 year old truck and not daring to leave home without a case of oil in the truck.  All of this for a system that was supposed to save 7% on fuel economy.  And when most of us finally used a programmer or Range AFM module to turn off AFM, we saw no difference in fuel mileage, but instead got increased drivability in the form of smoother shifts, no more fart-can exhaust sound with aftermarket exhaust, etc.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaverickZ71 said:

For the wiseguys saying "check the oil" and "low oil warning", there is a reason why GM says to in the owner's manual to check the oil at every fuel stop--they knew all about the problems and spent years trying to act like there were no problems, trying to sandbag us with insane "oil level monitoring procedures" until we were off of warranty. 

Owners manuals have stated to check oil level at fill ups since as long as owners manuals have been written.  Its not there because they "know there is a problem".  Hell, the book for my John Deere X720 says to check the oil level BEFORE EACH USE.  

GM laid it out in English to check the oil level in your vehicle.  If you check it, you will either see no loss, a tiny loss, or a lot of loss.  Its not hard.  The first one filed in Ohio already was shot down:   Oil Burn Suit Against General Motors Dismissed | GM Authority

Edited by newdude

On 12/12/2020 at 7:03 PM, davester said:

It appears to be at the "we handed a bunch of paperwork to the court needed to initiate the lawsuit" stage.  If everything goes right, only 2 more years or so to go for your $20 check BOGO half price meatless Whopper... Lawyers get 90 million .

FIFY LOL

26 minutes ago, newdude said:

Owners manuals have stated to check oil level at fill ups since as long as owners manuals have been written.  Its not there because they "know there is a problem".  Hell, the book for my John Deere X720 says to check the oil level BEFORE EACH USE.  

GM laid it out in English to check the oil level in your vehicle.  If you check it, you will either see no loss, a tiny loss, or a lot of loss.  Its not hard.  The first one filed in Ohio already was shot down:   Oil Burn Suit Against General Motors Dismissed | GM Authority

Oh, I know it’s not hard to check the oil. Good thing, because the frakkin built-in GM AFM oil usage problem has forced me to check it about 1000 times. It’s a wonder the damned hood hinges aren’t worn out. The point is, GM  manufactured millions of vehicles with problems and won’t accept full responsibility, so they have been sued. Don’t like the lawsuit and/or never check your own oil or named your kids Dale and Jr?  Don’t participate. But don’t tell us there’s no problem. We know better!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

Well, they're all junk - am I supposed to be happy about spending $50-$85-LARGE and having nothing but problems?? I guess you didn't grow up in the same era I did, back when cars were actually built to LAST ... and cost 1/3rd what they do now.

I'm pushing 70. Just don't think they are as junky as you think. Simple. 

You're the first person over 35 I've ever seen that thinks things are built well today ...