2020 Silverado Lt Front Axle Replacement with Trail Boss Axles

11 minutes ago, Flatblack83 said:

84793824 should be trailboss axles.

yeah that's the number I have, although on the diagram it is shown as separate parts but I assume they arrive assembled and ready to install right? I ordered the boot by itself, I'm gonna try and see if I can just install that and if not just buy the whole axle. Any idea if you can take the bottom joint off so the old boot can slide off and the new one on?

14 hours ago, viperdad said:

yeah that's the number I have, although on the diagram it is shown as separate parts but I assume they arrive assembled and ready to install right? I ordered the boot by itself, I'm gonna try and see if I can just install that and if not just buy the whole axle. Any idea if you can take the bottom joint off so the old boot can slide off and the new one on?

The axles are assembled if you buy the whole axle and ready to install.  I'm not sure if you can take it apart where they boot will slide off but I would think so.  I think replacing the axle would be a lot easier and cleaner even though it cost a little more but may be worth it.

You can replace the boot, just make sure you have the correct tools for fastening the steel clamps around the boot properly.  If not done 100% correct, it will leak like a torn boot.  I know it's not cheaper and I have no clue what your budgets are, but it's far easier and cleaner just to purchase a new CV and install it.  When done this way, you can keep the original as an emergency backup if you ever break one on a trail or back road.  Good luck!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gangly said:

You can replace the boot, just make sure you have the correct tools for fastening the steel clamps around the boot properly.  If not done 100% correct, it will leak like a torn boot.  I know it's not cheaper and I have no clue what your budgets are, but it's far easier and cleaner just to purchase a new CV and install it.  When done this way, you can keep the original as an emergency backup if you ever break one on a trail or back road.  Good luck!

Thanks everyone, yeah I just ordered the whole axle, I think its gonna be much easier and since I had already ordered the boot I’m just gonna do as you said and keep it as an extra one. I’ll let you guys know how the install went.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On 3/8/2021 at 10:58 AM, viperdad said:

Thanks everyone, yeah I just ordered the whole axle, I think its gonna be much easier and since I had already ordered the boot I’m just gonna do as you said and keep it as an extra one. I’ll let you guys know how the install went.

how did the install go? any issue getting the longer shaft into place? 

On 9/28/2021 at 10:03 AM, anthony2558 said:

how did the install go? any issue getting the longer shaft into place? 

There will be no difference in getting the shaft into place.  The additional length of the longer CV shaft will be hidden inside the cup.

• 8 months later...
On 1/5/2021 at 8:47 AM, Gangly said:

Its relatively easy and quick.

Remove the  wheel speed sensor from the Knuckle.

Remove the Axle Nut from the Front Axle at the Knuckle.

Remove the Rotor from the Knuckle

Remove the nut connecting the Upper Control Arm to the Knuckle.

Remove the nut connecting the Lower Control Arm to the Knuckle.

Remove the Knuckle

Remove CV Axle

Installation:

Reverse removal procedure.

I was able to remove the old CV axle and replace it by just removing the upper control arm. Hope this helps. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/14/2021 at 11:19 AM, andrewb24 said:

I finished the other CV Axle last night.  Feels good to have this project complete and while I was in there I cleaned up all the grease from the boots on the other axles.   When I rolled under to put the skid plate back on I looked at the angles of the axles and to me they do not look that bad so I am wondering when the dealer had it if they just looked at the angle while the truck was on the lift because the whole front suspension is drooping so the angle looks really bad on the axles but on the ground I think they are fine.

What is the actual part number for the longer Trailboss CV axle assemblies ???