2014 Brake Creaking

I've searched and can't find the answer.  I have a 2014 Silverado 5.3 with 50k miles and just started noticing a loud creaking coming from the rear driver side brake.  it happens when I'm at very slow speeds or even when I'm stopped (so I can't see how it would be something with the rotor etc). I've found threads about similar issues and have tried all the suggested solutions without success (clean caliper, parking drum, rotate piston, clean guide pins, etc).  I noticed it is much louder and more regular with the engine running as seen in the video.  Any ideas?  Thank you in advance.

3 hours ago, durandetto said:

I had the same issue but it was always a sticking caliper pin. Replaced my calipers pads and rotors. All is good now.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Stupid question, but how do you know it was a sticking slide pin if you changed rotors and pads? How do you know it wasn't the pads? My 2017 with 40k makes this exact same noise and other threads I've seen say its the caliper piston on the pads. And to either regressed the backside of the pads or put on new pads.

• Like 1

I cleaned the slides twice and the problem went away. Then I finally just replaced everything because the problem kept coming back. I was upgrading the brakes too. Fleet pads, slotted rotors and new calipers front and rear. It was definitely a sticking slide pin causing my noise though.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I can suggest something else for you. I had this issue on my 2014 as well when I changed the pads. If you have pads with a metal backing plate that sits in between the main thick metal backer of the brake pad and where it is clamped on by the caliper you may have some rust inside of there or just the metal rubbing.

My slide pins are lubed up with silicone and the pistons move like brand new. I also bleed my brake fluid and vacuum it out every year just to try and prevent my lines from rotting out from the inside out.

What I would do is get a helper and have them press the brake down and go to each wheel and listen to see which one is making the creaking noise. In my case it was the rear brake pads on both my silverado and my old envoy that did this. I had plenty of pad life on the pads for both of them but what I did was use a small flathead screwdriver to pry the little piece of metal that is riveted on the thick metal backing place of the pad and squirt some high temp brake slide pin lube in there and use the included bottle brush to shove the lube in the middle as best as I could. I then squeezed the backing plate against the thick metal backer and wiped the excess lube off of the back of the pad. Then I put some high temp brake lube on the piston(s) and the mounting ears that come into contact with the brake pads and bolt everything back up.

If you want a great quality brake lube for the pads, I use Permetex Ceramic Extreme and for the slide pins I use Napa sil-glyde. ONLY use silicone lube on the slide pins though. Any other lube will cause the rubber to expand and lock up your slide pins (trust me, I had that happen on my old truck lol)

edit: You are also noticing the noise more when the engine is running because you have way more pressure being applied to the caliper/pads than if you ran out of vacuum assist and the engine was off and you tried to slam the brake pedal down. Mine would squeak at about halfway through depressing the brake pedal and continue until I maxed it out.

Edited by kickass audio

Thanks for all the replies. I had tried everything (including the parking brake and slide pins) and nothing worked.  I broke down and tried kickass' idea and bought new pads.  I drove around for 30 minutes today and so far no noise.  I don't want to jinx it, but I'm thinking it may have been the rust between the back of the pad and the metal plate.  Thanks again!