Bilstein 5100 vs. Leveling Kit

6 hours ago, RWTJR said:

Please note: This lift is not intended for the AT4 (the OP's truck) or the Trail Boss.

No expertise implied or expressed.

The individual asking had an LT Z71, but thanks for clarifying, I should have specified it was for him only.

i dont know why they say not for TB.....its same damn thing as whats on a stock TB, lol

it wouldnt level a TB but it would certainly work....

Edited by Dunn

2 hours ago, Dunn said:

i dont know why they say not for TB.....its same damn thing as whats on a stock TB, lol

Yep, I've run across all kinds of ignoranance and misinformation on the lifts for regular trucks vs. TB/AT4. 

It will ALL bolt up just fine....but like you said, it may not level it and you have to be smart enough not to overlift in the case of adjustable struts/coilovers.

I put a set of 6112s for a Trailboss/AT4 on my LTZ and set them to the max 1.2" lift to get it close to level with the 2" blocks in the rear.  

Icon delta joint UCAs just came in today and they go on tomorrow for upper balljoint peace of mind.  

I *may* get some Icon coilovers in the future and I'll be ready.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lapoolboy said:

Yep, I've run across all kinds of ignoranance and misinformation on the lifts for regular trucks vs. TB/AT4. 

It will ALL bolt up just fine....but like you said, it may not level it and you have to be smart enough not to overlift in the case of adjustable struts/coilovers.

I put a set of 6112s for a Trailboss/AT4 on my LTZ and set them to the max 1.2" lift to get it close to level with the 2" blocks in the rear.  

Icon delta joint UCAs just came in today and they go on tomorrow for upper balljoint peace of mind.  

I *may* get some Icon coilovers in the future and I'll be ready.

if you buy an eibach spring probably would go bit higher.........eibach kit is 1.2 with oem spring but with their spring you get a bit over 2" i believe.....would have to imagine it would work with bilstein shock or at very least eibach makes a spring for bilstein shock......they are one of biggest spring companies and supply most aftermarket companies with their springs....

sure they could and will make lift springs for other shocks......

15 minutes ago, Dunn said:

if you buy an eibach spring probably would go bit higher.........eibach kit is 1.2 with oem spring but with their spring you get a bit over 2" i believe.....would have to imagine it would work with bilstein shock or at very least eibach makes a spring for bilstein shock......they are one of biggest spring companies and supply most aftermarket companies with their springs....

sure they could and will make lift springs for other shocks......

These 6112 springs say "Bilstein" on them but they may be made for Bilstein by Eibach...who knows.  They are maxed at 1.2" and I'm only about 1/4" shy of level....I can live with that as it's not noticeable.

Icon coilovers are 12+ weeks out everywhere I've checked.  I was going to wait to install my UCAs at the same time, but I'm moving ahead with installing the Delta Joint UCAs tomorrow paired with the Bilstein 6112s.  I won't get the advantage of additional droop, but the weak-ass balljoint will be gone!

I would bet bilstein doesn't make springs and good chance they are eibach springs.....of course every company will have their name stamped...pro comp, fabtech, etc...but either way just an option....

Eibach is spring company first and foremost where others are shock companies

33 minutes ago, lapoolboy said:

Icon coilovers are 12+ weeks out everywhere I've checked.  I was going to wait to install my UCAs at the same time, but I'm moving ahead with installing the Delta Joint UCAs tomorrow paired with the Bilstein 6112s.  I won't get the advantage of additional droop, but the weak-ass balljoint will be gone!

Smart move on UCA.....oems will work but for how long.....this way no worry and if the ballpoint is replaceable even better and greaseable better yet

Truck should ride alot better as well

20 hours ago, Dunn said:

Exactly!

I think the reason they say it's not for the TB/AT4 is illustrated in every T1 lift thread. Because some see, 2" lift for the Silverado and they think if they put it on their TB/AT4 they'll get an additional 2" of lift. Whereas, it might just replace the 2" of lift they already have/had on their TB/AT4.  If it is the type of lift that would add lift to a TB/AT4, i.e., spacer lift, it would take it beyond  the engineered design specs of the stock suspension. The manufacturers of these lifts realize when these trucks are lifted to a level beyond the engineered specs the factory ball joints are placed in peril. Some acknowledge this and exclude the TB/AT4 from the application list, while others will add upper control arms to their kits.

I don't know why this is so misunderstood. The T1 1500 suspension was designed and engineered to work with both a stock 1500 and the factory 2" lifted TB/AT4.  So to help preserve ball joint life and insure safe & proper operation, a stock 1500 can be lifted up to 2", or a TB/AT4 up to 0", and remain within design/engineered parameters of the suspension. Anything beyond that is a gamble on the stock suspension.

Maybe the lift manufacturers often state they exclude the TB/AT4 to protect people from their own ignorance. I can imagine the calls they get, "I put your 2" adjustable shock lift on my TB/AT4 and it's the same height as it was before, you lied." or "I put your 2" spacer lift on my TB/AT4 and now the suspension continually slams on the stops, my tires rub and I can't get it properly aligned, you lied". I think they often exclude the TB/AT4 just to preclude these types of complaints/problems.

My recommendations: If someone wants to use a lift the manufacturer says excludes TB/AT4s on a TB/AT4 make sure it will actually add some lift and do so safely. If adding over 2" of lift to a stock 1500 or essentially any additional lift to a TB/AT4 add new properly sized upper control arms at a minimum.

Generally,  any T1 lift can be bolted up to any T1. The questions are, will it add lift, will it function properly and will it be safe?

My response it not directed to the quoted poster, Dunn, his post just inspired my post. Any use of the word "you' is the collective you, meaning anyone who reads this posting and is not directed at any individual(s).

Just my humble opinion and it's worth everything you're paying for it.

No expertise implied or expressed.

• Thanks 1

correct companies just covering their butts

once you know what TB is, makes it really simple to figure out, what your willing to live with is subjective.....

I've been debating this as well, but am leaning towards the simple GM 2in leveling kit my dealership sells.  I, and I may be the only one ever, am happy so far with the ranch shocks that came on my 2020 Elevation/X31 package.

I have read so much back and forth on the UCAs, angles, etc.  The GM techs indicate that I don't need anything beyond the kit, the install, and the alignment.  The people who seem to have issues with the leveling kits go above 2in, or already have 2in, and go 2 more, correct?

If I want to be safe, am I best just leaving it alone if I don't want to spend the money of the 5100s plus install, etc.?

Thanks all!