Canned tunes

Ok...

I have been wanting something extra for performance for my truck since the day I bought it. Sure, it's worked absolutely awesome and been dead nuts reliable, but the engine nannies leave something to be desired.

Truck is a 2015 GMC 2500 Sierra with the 6.0l gass.

I've always been looking at the tuner options, and it seems to be always the same thing. "Get a performance tune, like black bear, forget a canned tune, they're junk and don't expect much out of the 6.0l anyway "

Well, over all, I wasn't looking for much. If I was to get something... anything... noticeably better than stock, I felt I'd be happy. I'm also some what stingy with my cash, I'll spend, but only once I'm convinced it'll be worth it.

So, looking at the canned tunes, here in Canada, the good ones typically run in the $600 range. So I've been looking at used ones.

Today I picked up an Edge 85350 used for $175, I felt that for that price, I was ok if it was a bust, and would be really happy if I got anything remotely noticeable out of it.

Holy crap [emoji15] I plugged it in, set it to 87 performance (regular gas) and I'm sorry.... What a difference!!! I can't wait to see what the tow and 91 performance tune will do.

My biggest beef with the stock was the amount of torque management, especially off the line and on the 1-2 shift.

Gone.... I have 35" tires, and they were now starting to break loose from a dead stop and punching it. The 1-2 shift is snappy, with almost no torque management, and it pulls nice through all the gears.

If you can get a used one for a good price, I highly recommend it [emoji109][emoji41]

383235ea6d0ccbf1535baec393dbc811.jpgb03cfc39bfb74dfff29a8d240fe07d3d.jpg8fe4d8d1233751bb66dd54f026da7176.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

They generally don't add much power but more so just letting you use what is already there if it wasn't trapped.

The E78 computer is torque based so it's pretty complex. It's great for fleets, long term maintenance and warranties but no so much performance. The custom tune route is always ideal but for anyone else you better be 100% sure that whoever does a E78 or E92 computer knows exactly what they are doing because it's easy to screw it up.

These handheld programmers are good for what they are and like you, will enjoy the changes it makes. They have their limits of course but that is to be expected. Torque mngt is still there, just reduced. Otherwise things would go south quick lol.

• Like 1

They generally don't add much power but more so just letting you use what is already there if it wasn't trapped.

The E78 computer is torque based so it's pretty complex. It's great for fleets, long term maintenance and warranties but no so much performance. The custom tune route is always ideal but for anyone else you better be 100% sure that whoever does a E78 or E92 computer knows exactly what they are doing because it's easy to screw it up.

These handheld programmers are good for what they are and like you, will enjoy the changes it makes. They have their limits of course but that is to be expected. Torque mngt is still there, just reduced. Otherwise things would go south quick lol.
Agreed, 100%.

I wasn't looking for much, and what was delivered exceeded my expectations. For the price I paid... put me in the satisfied column.

I understand and appreciate why there is torque management, so I also wasn't looking to remove all of it either

26 minutes ago, rocnrol said:

Wait.... I'm the only one doing that??!!

No sir, we used to call it "sighting fluid", gives you more clarity and courage to tackle a tough job, well as least you think so after XX beers?

• Like 1

I got an intune i3 platinum and went with the stock 93 tune.  It improved things but I still had to get a pedal box so I wasn't flooring it all the time to get moving.

Then a nice fellow recommended I contact diablewtuning.com.  I did.  Since I had the i3 platinum, he could help me out.  So I did a data log and sent that to him.   He sent me back a custom tune.  Holy crap!  I had to pull the pedal box because I kept squealing the tires.  This thing is now performing as I would have expected vs. being a giant, 2 ton pig.  I'm only 90 miles into this diablew tune.  Once I hit 150 miles, he wants me to do another data log during a WOT acceleration run.  Then he tweaks it and sends it back.  If it gets any better, I will be really happy.  

The reason I wanted a tune was for towing my 10,000 lbs fifth wheel.  It's snowing here, so won't be able to pull it for a while.

Unfortunately, he doesn't do custom tunes for other brand tuners.  But if anyone is in the market for a great custom tune for their 6.0, I would highly recommend going the diablew route.  Major improvement.

• Like 1

So pretty much plug and play? I tried to use a different canned company, and plugged it in, and had to upload the proper info from my computer into it, my Mac was unable to put a disk into..... so no go.
Pretty much. I went to edge's website and download the updater to my laptop. Plugged tuner in to the laptop to check for updates, there was. I updated it, then plugged it into the truck.

It said, "this isint the same truck as before, do you wish to erase the other truck? "

Yup, it did, and then it was ready to tune my truck. Picked the tune I wanted and hit enter [emoji106]

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A week and a half into this, and I'm still really happy with the tuner.

The driveablity of the truck is just soooo much better, the truck really should have come like this from the factory.

Messing around in the settings of it the other day and found a gauge that shows what Gear your in and weather the trans is in lock up or not. I find that one really useful. I'm also surprised how much it is locked up. Pretty much all the time.

Cool! d83bf91e93b4fc5c0bbd85d91208bcc4.jpgf8cfe9b53a535fdde966850eaeca976a.jpg

The 6L80e and 6L90e calibration depending on year will have the converter locked up in every gear.

It's good and bad that they do it. The bad is that is leads to converter failure in some because of the constant on/off and the built in slip on the calibrations.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chevyfan3 said:

This is enticing, I had the black bear tune at the top of my list but looks like a can get one of these edge tuners for cheaper. Can you datalog with that edge like you can the black bear?

just buy the hptuners and have a pro dial it in for you or tinker on it yourself.

• Like 1

This is enticing, I had the black bear tune at the top of my list but looks like a can get one of these edge tuners for cheaper. Can you datalog with that edge like you can the black bear?
I'm pretty sure that you can.

Just to be clear, this is no Black Bear tune. This is no where in that class.

However, if you're looking for something better than what it is now... then this would be a great option IMHO.

Probably my biggest gripe with the factory tune was the incredible amount of torque management off the line, and on the 1-2 shift.

It's gone enough with this that I'm happy. I really can't wait to pull our trailer to see the difference.

I'm running 35's, and even with the TC and ST off, it wouldn't even come close to spinning the tires, it'll do it now.. [emoji57]

The 6L80e and 6L90e calibration depending on year will have the converter locked up in every gear.

It's good and bad that they do it. The bad is that is leads to converter failure in some because of the constant on/off and the built in slip on the calibrations.

Im running into a converter lockup issue after about a hr of constant driving on the hwy. Converter locks in 5th and 4th. Only this to get it to operate normal is to shut truck off and restart it. Only started after i did the tune.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk