Unbelievable mileage and a 6 mo. Review

garyo

20 RST Z71 CC 6.2L w/the factory performance package, 18” wheels, standard tow. 6675 miles and just did an O & F change and emptied the JLT can.

First off this is my second DI engine, the first is a 2008 Mazda CX 7 turbo, and when I change the oil on that, I smelled more fuel than dirty oil. It has 186K miles and still runs good, wife’s car.

On my oil change today on the truck, I smelled more dirty oil than fuel, I’m happy. It was very dirty and had the first oil change from the dealer at about 2,400 miles. The oil filter was almost loose, easily removed by hand, no tool. The pan plug was torqued to around 3,000 Ft.Lbs. and I thought that I was going to break it. Typical dealer stuff, I do most all of my own maintenance on my vehicles. If the oil is that dirty at the next change of 13K, I’ll back it down to 6K OCI. Less than $50 for 2-5qt. jugs of Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 and the PL22500 Purolator One filter.

I love this truck, I keep my trucks for the long haul and my previous 3500 was 20 years old and 186K, I traded it in on the new one. What a jump in technology. There are some UI issues I would like different, but it is what it is. Even though I’m an old man, I’m adaptable and have work arounds. This thing is a beast, and dare I say, easily enters into the sports car performance arena when needed. I usually drive like an old man to get that kind of mileage, but not always. I have run mid-grade since I picked it up and it runs just fine, good mileage and no ping. I also run top tier fuels, mostly BP. 

As far as mods go, I may replace the shocks with the Bilstein 6112/5160 combo later this year. Either the 1.2 or 1.6 lift, not sure and then add a bigger block to the rear. I am also considering larger tires, Cooper Discover AT3 4S in 265/70/18. The shocks and tires should get me just under a 2” lift. The tires are light duty AT and would work good for what I drive on. No cosmetic mods, I don’t care about looks, performance, durability, and reliability are the only things that interest me. I use my truck as a truck for my business, I carry stock and tools, and run service calls with it.

I’ve been a member here for 12 or 13 years; I just don’t post much. Way more interesting to read. This is a great forum for our trucks, I thoroughly enjoy reading everyone’s posts. There are some really knowledgeable people who post here and I really appreciate them sharing what they know. Don’t know of any better forum to discuss our trucks.

Any questions, ask away.

garyo

best MPGs.jpg

Edited by garyo
fix formatting
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome ?. Glad you like your truck. Great gas mileage too. I can’t seem to squeeze over 20 mpgs out of my 6.2L. 
My 2018 Sierra averaged right at 24 mpgs with it. It was unreal how well it got mpgs, but the 8 spd drove me nuts.  This new 10 spd makes up for the loss of mpgs in my eyes. 

Take care. 

22 hours ago, garyo said:

20 RST Z71 CC 6.2L w/the factory performance package, 18” wheels, standard tow. 6675 miles and just did an O & F change and emptied the JLT can.

Any questions, ask away.

garyo

best MPGs.jpg

What does it say on the 400mi average?  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, newdude said:

What does it say on the 400mi average?  

or better yet overall mpg for the 6600 miles, betting its ~20mpg + -1

I've got 18k miles for the first year 80% highway, 75-80 mph and my overall mpg is 20.2 mpg. I get far better eco around town compared to open highways. best 400 miles 22.7 best 50 mile 27.2 and best 25 mile 29. all my best mpg had a tail wind, head wind will knock the crap out of your average

2020 6.2, 4x4, std bed, stock 20's RST

17 hours ago, garyo said:

How do I get a 400 mile average? I have not seen this before.

garyo

Push in on the center control toggle on the right hand side steering wheel control on the MPG page.  You will open the "Menu" which will let you pick 25mi rolling average, 50mi rolling average and 400mi rolling average.  

I have had some surprising MPG results too.  These pics are from a round trip on 55 mph, mountain 2 lane roads.  First pic is the one way, second includes the trip back.  

Unfortunately, most of my driving is in town, which nets 16-18 MPG.   

9C953BA8-1FD5-489F-B796-605922A2CAC5.jpeg

CCEC9169-E593-4C0C-AA86-7EF2991B7D18.jpeg

Push in on the center control toggle on the right hand side steering wheel control on the MPG page.  You will open the "Menu" which will let you pick 25mi rolling average, 50mi rolling average and 400mi rolling average.  

Thanks for this info. I wasn't aware of this feature. My best mpg is 23.9 for 50 miles. That was with a headwind. I just reached 6 months of ownership on Jan 31, and had over 9,600 miles on my odometer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip. On the 25 mile setting best was 29.2, and on the 400 mile setting it was 21.9. Quite amazing I think. Amazing trucks we have! My last couple of trucks were about 14 so this is a huge improvement.