Which Grappler? - Another Tire Thread!

Yes.  Sorry in advance, everyone.  From my research on this board, the topic has been thoroughly discussed.  Many times, however, specifics aren't discussed (e.g. "Wrapped with 35" Ridge Grapplers").

I'm about to take delivery of my AT4 and one of the first things on the list are new tires.  My plan is to go with a 35" tire on the factory "AT4" wheels.  Research shows that staying under 12.5" (the max that most shops will mount on factory wheels anyway?) will yield the best results in no rubbing.  I also would like to keep the tires from sticking out past the fenders.  So, I turned to Nitto's page to see what was available and surprisingly found 27 (!) 20" choices with several being roughly 35" in diameter.

Here are a the ones I believe I have narrowed down:

LT285/65R20 E 127/124Q ---- 34.8" Dia ---- 11.5 Wide

LT295/65R20 E 129/126Q ---- 35.12" Dia ---- 11.77 Wide

35x11.50R20LT E 124Q  ---- 34.76" Dia ---- 11.42 Wide

35x12.50R20LT F 125Q ---- 34.76" Dia ---- 12.5 Wide

Stocks are 275/65/R20 for reference.

My next stop is to call a tire shop and get their opinion.  However, I thought it would be good to hear the voices of people running these first.  Are these the four that people are generally running?  Are there others in the 35" territory?  Some of these are "LT" (light truck?) rated but have higher load capacities than the non LTs - further complicating this......

Thoughts?

GMC 2500 AT4 standard bed here - I have about 12k miles on Nitto Ridge Grappler 295/65/20 on Fuel wheels with a +20 offset.  Factory wheels are +44 offset.  My suspension is stock w/exception of Bilstein 5100 shocks which offer nothing for height.  I had very very slight contact on the front liners, which I pinned back with a zip tie on each side.

So, that means my wheels are 24mm pushed outwards, or 0.945".  On stock wheels, I don't think you'd have any rubbing at all.

I recently ordered a 3500 AT4 SRW standard bed truck.  I'll be running the same size on it too.  Along with +20 offset again.  I'll stick with it cause I know it works and it looks awesome too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tbully said:

The 295 is roughly an inch wider.  Will they stick out on stock (+44) wheels?

Actually closer to 3/4" and that is only 3/8" on each side of the wheel.  You won't even notice the difference other than a more aggressive tread.

I would definitely go at least 35x12.5  That is only 0.9" taller and 1.7" wider than the stock tires.  It will be a slight change, but not enough to have issues.  They won't stick out past the fenders because the stock wheels sit in quite a bit.

Edited by 24v
  • Like 1