Cargo Bed Light Operation

3 hours ago, Xterrable said:

Seems like the cargo and bed lights cannot be turned on while moving.  So they turn off as soon as you start moving?  And if so, can that be overridden?

Boost auto has a cure.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wiggums said:

It's illegal to have them illuminated while moving.

I would assume you are referring to on road applications.

I have legalized the use of cargo and bed lights on my 2000 acres of pasture and crop ground. But only during times the sun is not shining.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, gemarsh said:

I would assume you are referring to on road applications.

I have legalized the use of cargo and bed lights on my 2000 acres of pasture and crop ground. But only during times the sun is not shining.

I'm very happy for you.

I only said that just in case the OP was wondering why the truck doesn't allow it and it might be difficult to circumvent this feature. And if the OP chooses to bypass this feature, he might be risking a ticket. I've gotten cited by sharp-eyed cops for having ECE (read: non-DOT) headlights on my car. It wasn't directed to you anyway.

7 hours ago, Wiggums said:

I'm very happy for you.

I only said that just in case the OP was wondering why the truck doesn't allow it and it might be difficult to circumvent this feature. And if the OP chooses to bypass this feature, he might be risking a ticket. I've gotten cited by sharp-eyed cops for having ECE (read: non-DOT) headlights on my car. It wasn't directed to you anyway.

Duely noted.

I called Boost.  They dont have anything for the cab lights.

Yea, I know why they dont allow it.  But my 2015 F-150 allowed me to turn them on while in motion.  

So, where is what I am trying to do.  I am installing work lights on the rear, to be used while hooking up a trailer, getting my hunting gear on, etc..  Instead of running a whole wiring harness to a switch, I was going to tap them into the bed lights.  I would also like to use these as back up lights.  

The cab/bed lights.  Do they turn off the instant you put the truck in gear?  As soon as the vehicle starts moving, or do they shut off at a certain speed?

Liability is probably why GM made it difficult. And if it's illegal, GM could be liable if one of the LED lights pop out and blind you thru your rear view mirror.

I know it's dumb but GM is going to try its best to make it impossible for you. The less liability for them, the better according to their peanut counters.

A while back, a dealership got sued left and right for putting the license plates behind the rear bumpers that were optional on Toyota and the small Japanese pick-up trucks of the 1990's. The bumper was factory too so liability was shifted to the manufacturers.

The bed lights don't seem to be really useful when I am hooking up a trailer. If the bed door is closed, there's no illumination for hooking up the trailer. I know the 110V plugs still work though, but the motor has to be running. Kind of inconvenient for me.

55 minutes ago, Xterrable said:

I called Boost.  They dont have anything for the cab lights.

Yea, I know why they dont allow it.  But my 2015 F-150 allowed me to turn them on while in motion.  

So, where is what I am trying to do.  I am installing work lights on the rear, to be used while hooking up a trailer, getting my hunting gear on, etc..  Instead of running a whole wiring harness to a switch, I was going to tap them into the bed lights.  I would also like to use these as back up lights.  

The cab/bed lights.  Do they turn off the instant you put the truck in gear?  As soon as the vehicle starts moving, or do they shut off at a certain speed?

This is not what your trying to do?

https://boostautoparts.com/products/cargo-in-drive

Weird, that is exactly what I want...  This is what they replied to me.

Thank you for reaching out. Unfortunately we do not offer an option to enable the bed cargo light on while the vehicle is in motion. If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to reach out.

Has anyone installed this?    One thing I see is, it states that the button must be pressed and held while in gear..  Do I really need to push and hold it in??  Thats not what I want either.   If I am going to go thru all that, I'll just run a whole wire harness.

6 hours ago, Xterrable said:

That sounds like you need the lights when the truck is stationary or in reverse.

What am I missing? 

Those lights should work in park, reverse or neutral

Edited by redwngr