• N212328770
  • NHTSA #
  • 21V051
  • Date Issued:
  • Feb 05, 2021

Recall Title:

Front Passenger Airbag Takata Inflator - Priority Group 7

Recall Description:

TK Holdings Inc. (“Takata”) has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in the passenger-side frontal airbag inflators installed as original equipment in certain 2007 to 2014 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT vehicles; certain Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado 1500, Silverado 2500/3500, Suburban, and Tahoe vehicles; and certain GMC Sierra 1500, Sierra 2500/3500, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles. The determination was made that the propellant in these inflators may degrade after long-term exposure to high humidity and temperature cycling, which could cause the inflator to rupture during a deployment.

Safety Risk Description:

An inflator rupture may cause metal fragments to pass through the airbag and into the vehicle interior at high speed, which may result in injury or death to vehicle occupants.

Repair Description:

Dealers will replace the passenger-side frontal airbag inflator.

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE

GM Recall #:
N212328770
NHTSA #
21V051
Date Issued:
Feb 05, 2021
Recall Title:

Front Passenger Airbag Takata Inflator - Priority Group 7

Recall Description:

TK Holdings Inc. (“Takata”) has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in the passenger-side frontal airbag inflators installed as original equipment in certain 2007 to 2014 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT vehicles; certain Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado 1500, Silverado 2500/3500, Suburban, and Tahoe vehicles; and certain GMC Sierra 1500, Sierra 2500/3500, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles. The determination was made that the propellant in these inflators may degrade after long-term exposure to high humidity and temperature cycling, which could cause the inflator to rupture during a deployment.

Safety Risk Description:

An inflator rupture may cause metal fragments to pass through the airbag and into the vehicle interior at high speed, which may result in injury or death to vehicle occupants.

Repair Description:

Dealers will replace the passenger-side frontal airbag inflator.

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE

I had my truck in for an oil change earlier this week. My buddy is the service tech at the dealer i go to, i have him do all the work on my truck. He actually did this while it was in for the oil change. I had not heard about it until i picked it up. 

Of course i had to joke about him cracking my dash.... because, it was in perfect condition before he replaced the airbag...lol..

• Sad 1

Yeah I have been waiting since 2016 for GM to come up with the parts to replace my airbag on my 2008 Sierra...no luck. Everytime I ask they say parts are not available. If they don't order the parts in then they never have to honer the recall.....!!!!! Saves money!!