Tailgate spontaneously opening

2 hours ago, Phantom 4D said:

Friend of mine had a 2020 Sierra. His tailgate would randomly drop. Caused some damage when it dropped while towing a trailer. He had it to the dealer several times, they couldn't duplicate and refused to fix the damage. He got so frustrated he now drives a Ram. Talked to him a few days ago. He's much happier.

Yea - they all have their problems... my cousin had brand new Platinum Ford with engine and tranny issues and went and bought a 2021 Ram that turns out to have the "Hemi tick"...

45 minutes ago, Sierra Jon said:

Yea - they all have their problems... my cousin had brand new Platinum Ford with engine and tranny issues and went and bought a 2021 Ram that turns out to have the "Hemi tick"...

Hemi tick is horrible, I test drove one, asked the sales guy wtf is that noise. He says it goes away when the engine warms up I was like are you serious. Now at camp grounds I pay close attention to those hemi's and they all sound like they have loose serp belts.... 

This tailgate issue is pretty weird, so far so good on my repairs fixing the issue....for now...

• Like 1

Bought a 2021 GMC 2500HD AT4 at Central in Norwood about 4 months ago.  SAME issue is now happening with my tailgate.  Scary thing was I opened it with my trailer on and I heard a click and immediately reached to catch the inner tailgate before it smashed into my hitch.  Luckily I caught it but now I'm afraid to tow with it.  Super frustrating to have these issues on a truck with 1500 miles. 

• Like 1

Yep. Talk to Bill Devine or Gabe. They were great. I had created a video just in case it was behaving when I dropped it off but it was doing the same thing for them....Not sure what the factory is doing during installs but clearly some process quality control gap going on. Bill threw the kitchen sink at it and so far so good.... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sierra Jon said:

Yea I disconnected it myself when it started happening so that it wouldn't damage itself. That's why i posted those pics above for anyone else having the issue. 

Bill isn't with Prime anymore. I spoke with the new service manager last time but I'll talk to him again about making this right. That's the most frustrating thing about this all... just make it right. Customer service is so dead (at least in MA). The dealership thinks that because this is a warranty issue that they don't have an obligation to make the customer happy. The free service is sufficient... well that's BS. $60k dollars later and no vehicle for 3 days... that inconvenience should be compensated.

Bill at Central not Prime.

• Thanks 1

Well I joined the club of tailgate issue yesterday, with my 2021 Denali Black Diamond.   Mine was a bit more painful.  It opened on its own while parked in my garage.  Came hope and pressed the opener in my other car and the tailgate and the door fought it out.  Tailgate came out on the loosing end.  Deep scratches as well as a hole in the top edge.  I was able to get video of it doing it again yesterday.  Moved it last night and of course it stops.  At the dealer this morning and they look at me like I have lost my mind.  Nothing in the GM system showing such an issue, etc.  I gave them Bill's information and a link to this site.  Dropping it off next week for them to have to take a look.  Be interesting to see their response to the damages and who will pay for the repair.  Pretty sure I know.  

3 hours ago, M Huskey said:

Well I joined the club of tailgate issue yesterday, with my 2021 Denali Black Diamond.   Mine was a bit more painful.  It opened on its own while parked in my garage.  Came hope and pressed the opener in my other car and the tailgate and the door fought it out.  Tailgate came out on the loosing end.  Deep scratches as well as a hole in the top edge.  I was able to get video of it doing it again yesterday.  Moved it last night and of course it stops.  At the dealer this morning and they look at me like I have lost my mind.  Nothing in the GM system showing such an issue, etc.  I gave them Bill's information and a link to this site.  Dropping it off next week for them to have to take a look.  Be interesting to see their response to the damages and who will pay for the repair.  Pretty sure I know.  

I would of had the same issue and damage but my truck is parked outside in the driveway.  Mine was totally random at anytime in park with no regard to the key fob having to be near the truck.  

My 2021 Chevrolet 2500 High Country started doing the same thing a few weeks ago except I have the power up and down tailgate so it was trying to go up by itself as well. I took it to the local dealership and they said the switch looked like it was a corroded and ordered a replacement. They disconnected the existing switch and no issues since though my tailgate button doesn't work.

• 4 weeks later...

Update - dropped it off at the dealer a couple of weeks ago.  Took the service manager out for a drive as the tailgate was now opening anytime you stopped the truck and turned it off.  On cue it did it twice during our short drive.  They took ownership of the issue and now I'm in the waiting on parts loop to get the tailgate repaired.  It was the tailgate switch as other have indicated.  So put RIVARD GMC in Tampa on the list of dealerships that have seen this problem.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a 2021 3500 Denali diesel. My truck recently had the recall update for the radio/Bluetooth issues. When I received the truck back the inner tailgate started opening every time I opened any of the doors. Happened two weeks straight and now is intermittent. Currently at dealer trying to find a fix. Other issues were DEF tank replacement and a lot of electrical/infotainment glitches or items not working. Required shutting truck off for 5 minutes and restarting to get radio and Bluetooth to work again.