Tailgate spontaneously opening

3 hours ago, newdude said:

Its the same as others have had in this thread, bad switch.  Water gets in from the two drain holes in the center "hand pocket" at the top of the gate and shorts the switch out.  

I appreciate your response. I took it to the dealer, but they claimed that they did not find any water intrusion. I am currently mulling over the entire situation. My truck has been into the dealership twice, but they do not seem to care. Even went so far as to all but say that we were making this up. We tried to show them this thread, but they could have cared less. After the first visit, we were told that they couldn't do anything unless we could get the malfunction on video. That if we could get it on video they would fix the issue and replace my tailgate because of the body damage. It malfunctioned about three weeks later. The same thing, up and down repeatedly hitting the door in the rear of my garage. Luckily, we had padded the doorknobs and hardware with pool noodles to prevent additional damage. Captured everything on video and took the truck back to the dealership. Now they claim that since it didn't malfunction in front of them that they can't fix it. They also claim that they never said that they would replace the tailgate, but that it would be up to GM. We have the email traffic going back and forth capturing all of the communication. I will not conduct any business with that dealership going forward. I'm thinking that I am going to make the several-hour drive to take my truck to a dealership that I trust and see if they can help. 

I’m waiting for both my new switch and the housing that keeps it in place. They told me that without the new housing that the switch would end up pushing in too far. They disabled the inner tailgate until the new switch is installed. It’s been a couple of weeks and I really miss being able to use the inner tailgate for both loading and for the step. I think that the MultiPro Tailgate is one of the best ideas to come out in trucks in a long time (once they get the bugs worked out of course).

Hank

On 8/30/2022 at 5:35 PM, ssgballistics said:

I appreciate your response. I took it to the dealer, but they claimed that they did not find any water intrusion. I am currently mulling over the entire situation. My truck has been into the dealership twice, but they do not seem to care. Even went so far as to all but say that we were making this up. We tried to show them this thread, but they could have cared less. After the first visit, we were told that they couldn't do anything unless we could get the malfunction on video. That if we could get it on video they would fix the issue and replace my tailgate because of the body damage. It malfunctioned about three weeks later. The same thing, up and down repeatedly hitting the door in the rear of my garage. Luckily, we had padded the doorknobs and hardware with pool noodles to prevent additional damage. Captured everything on video and took the truck back to the dealership. Now they claim that since it didn't malfunction in front of them that they can't fix it. They also claim that they never said that they would replace the tailgate, but that it would be up to GM. We have the email traffic going back and forth capturing all of the communication. I will not conduct any business with that dealership going forward. I'm thinking that I am going to make the several-hour drive to take my truck to a dealership that I trust and see if they can help. 

This is certainly not what we like to hear, ssgballistics.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2022 Silverado HD. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: ssgballistics/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

On 12/24/2021 at 2:10 PM, Epsilon Plus said:

I have seen on FB where people with non-Flex, standard gates have the dropping issue. A few reported it's due to the little drain holes in the upper trim that let water short out the switch that's directly below it. I also noticed someone posted a pic of thier 2020 and it didn't have the indentation at the top of the gate. Also seems like most having issues are 21+ where the Flex gate became an option. Is the indentation part of the multiflex and they are just using the same tailgate cap, but with nothing in there? In that case they don't want water to pool and put the holes? Or possibly the holes (shaped like triangles) are to snap something in place related to that gate?

Either way, I used some clear silicone to seal them up. Rained today. Sure enough water pooled in the pocket so the silicone sealed it. Much preferred to the water dripping down directly on the switch/electronics.

So, if it's related to gate drops, sealing the holes or buying and putting on a non-indented/pocketed gate cap might be the resolution.

^^^^ This right here.  Would be of interest to know if folks with this issue live in rainy areas, or the southwest, with minimal rain.  I would think with little to no rain, you'd have no issue.  Since I read forums, and most stuff are issues, i'm constantly worrying i wasted 70 grand.  HOwever I learn alot.

What this dude mentions above, seems to be a big issue on FB and the putting some silicone on there "seems" to fix it, and actually makes sense.  I believe the trick is to get the holes plugged before you have the issue, especially if you live in a constantly wet place.   Once issue hits, likely too late.  

Bumping this back up

Edited by Blatant

On 2/26/2021 at 8:48 AM, jsward12 said:

I have a 21 2500 AT4 Gasser. Just recently seem when I am putting the truck in park the tailgate opens (at random) or at least that is when I notice it open (no warning light that its open :( ). I was also thinking it could be my fob and something hitting the tailgate open button... Today as I was dropping my daughter off at school, I put the truck in park and I heard the clicking of the tailgate release. It kept clicking, sure enough the tailgate was down. I put it up the clicking stopped, then the dash complained the inner tailgate was opened. I dropped it made sure it was closed and all seemed fine. Then as I got out of my truck at the gas station it was down again. It must have just happened when I was pulling in as I monitoring it on the rear camera during the drive......Anyone experience random tailgate opening? I am going to try my second fob to rule out an issue with fob.... 

Thanks in advance!

I have a 2021 chevy 2500hd gasser and have the same issue. Had it to the dealer twice now. They replaced the switch in the tailgate which they said was bad. Lasted 5 days and is now doing it again. Worst of all I didnt always notice when it happened and always pull a trailer. The top of my tailgate is all bent in from hitting the tounge jack of the trailer. They said they will replace the tailgate when they figure it out, but this has been a long drawn out process. We cant be the only ones with this problem.

On 9/5/2022 at 3:38 PM, JFroh81 said:

I have a 2021 chevy 2500hd gasser and have the same issue. Had it to the dealer twice now. They replaced the switch in the tailgate which they said was bad. Lasted 5 days and is now doing it again. Worst of all I didnt always notice when it happened and always pull a trailer. The top of my tailgate is all bent in from hitting the tounge jack of the trailer. They said they will replace the tailgate when they figure it out, but this has been a long drawn out process. We cant be the only ones with this problem.

My tailgate is now dented also, right at the top center below the buttons. I hadn't even had a stinger in my receiver for a couple days, but do have a hitch plug that barely sticks up above the receiver, and my dogs use the multi-flex to get in & out of the bed as it's so tall. I have a feeling GM will be replacing a bunch of these as it's a horrible design for people who actually tow with their trucks. They either need to shorten the upper portion of the gate, or lower the receiver hitches about 3/4" of an inch so they don't collide. Just about every truck I see with that gate has a dent in them, or scratched from hitch or trailer jack contact.

• 2 months later...

Finally, I was able to get my tailgate fixed. What a mess. I tried using the GM Customer Service instructions from this thread. That only served to muddy the waters and only complicate future communication with GM Customer Service. I would not recommend going that route to attempt to fix any issues. I had way better luck calling the GM Customer Service number that is listed in our owner's manuals. 

I ended up taking my truck to Big M Chevrolet in Ratcliff, KY. They were beyond helpful. The service manager and Advisor were top-notch. They agreed to help me out as soon as they saw the video. The repair ended up taking a while because they had to wait on a new harness that GM is using to correct this problem. On a side note, I was one of four out-of-state customers that had Chevrolet vehicles at that dealership for repairs after we could not get a local dealer to fix our vehicles. Good on Big M for great service. 

With all of that said, I am beyond disappointed in GMs Customer Service. It took over 6 months to get a 2022 truck repaired from an issue that is clearly a warranty problem. The GM Social Media Team that @GMCCustomerService asked me to contact only made the situation worse and made it extremely challenging to speak with an actual human that could provide assistance. GM needs to get its act together and back to the business of taking care of customers. It should not be this difficult to get a brand-new truck fixed. 

On 12/4/2022 at 4:58 AM, ssgballistics said:

Finally, I was able to get my tailgate fixed. What a mess. I tried using the GM Customer Service instructions from this thread. That only served to muddy the waters and only complicate future communication with GM Customer Service. I would not recommend going that route to attempt to fix any issues. I had way better luck calling the GM Customer Service number that is listed in our owner's manuals. 

I ended up taking my truck to Big M Chevrolet in Ratcliff, KY. They were beyond helpful. The service manager and Advisor were top-notch. They agreed to help me out as soon as they saw the video. The repair ended up taking a while because they had to wait on a new harness that GM is using to correct this problem. On a side note, I was one of four out-of-state customers that had Chevrolet vehicles at that dealership for repairs after we could not get a local dealer to fix our vehicles. Good on Big M for great service. 

With all of that said, I am beyond disappointed in GMs Customer Service. It took over 6 months to get a 2022 truck repaired from an issue that is clearly a warranty problem. The GM Social Media Team that @GMCCustomerService asked me to contact only made the situation worse and made it extremely challenging to speak with an actual human that could provide assistance. GM needs to get its act together and back to the business of taking care of customers. It should not be this difficult to get a brand-new truck fixed. 

so what was the actual fix? new harness? can you post part numbers for us?
thanks

I have a 2022 Sierra that the gate opens whenever it wants... Hooked to a trailer for a supply run and did $1000 damage and GMC says its not their fault all decisions final!! Very disappointed in GM now... pay over 60k for a truck and a 5 dollar part destroys the tailgate and not their problem! 

On 12/7/2022 at 6:02 PM, Jimsracin said:

I have a 2022 Sierra that the gate opens whenever it wants... Hooked to a trailer for a supply run and did $1000 damage and GMC says its not their fault all decisions final!! Very disappointed in GM now... pay over 60k for a truck and a 5 dollar part destroys the tailgate and not their problem! 

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Jimsracin.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your truck. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Jimsracin/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2022 at 6:02 PM, Jimsracin said:

any update to your case Jimsracin???

No update last response was that it wasn't the fault of GMC and they weren't going to pay anything...all discission's final!

I have bought GM vehicles all my life and am so disappointed with them now that I am probably going to switch brands. My wife had plans of buying a new Yukon Denali this spring but went and bought a Honda after this.  

I was told i take my truck to the car wash too often and water has entered the tailgate and caused the tailgate controls to fail.  After they replaced the electronics I opened up the tailgate covers and put some black silicone underneath the handle drains then cleaned up the top so it looks nice.  

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to take a moment and join the discussion and say that I am also having an issue with my "new" 2022 Chevy Silverado's tailgate randomly opening. Just found my self yet again picking stuff off a busy road in traffic because the tailgate randomly decided to open while I was making a left onto the street. This isn't the first time this has happened, its completely random. This last time I had just closed the tailgate before getting into my truck and the keys were in the cup holder. This isn't the only controls/software issue I've been having though, I've had numerous issues since picking up my truck. I have attempted to resolve them with the dealership, but they won't do anything unless they see the issue when they drive around the block and test drive the truck.   I've tried to share videos and pictures of incidents when they've happened, but was told they didn't need any of it. Some of the additional issues I am having problems with are:

1. Tailgate randomly opening (keys were in the cupholder this last time, and had just closed the tailgate before driving)

2. Driver seat randomly changing positions. Mostly after the vehicle has been sitting, but there has been times I've felt it move while I was driving. I don't have set seat positions for different key fobs, and my key fob is the only one used for the truck. 

3. Randomly loosing connection to the back up camera, which I was told this past software update would fix (it didn't). The back up camera screen when working will also change. Sometimes its zoomed in with no lane guidance lines, other times it looks like it should. 

4. Lane guidance system has a mind of its own. While long distance driving at 3 am I got cut off by a merging trucker on the  highway. When I swerved to avoid getting hit the safety system with a surprising amount of force attempted to throw me back into the semi. Thought this would raise some red flags, but it did not. 

5. The collision detection breaking system randomly goes off. It will sometimes do it when I'm already in the middle of breaking and about to come to a complete stop and other times when there is nothing at all in front of me. 

6. I lose connection to the front camera as well. Sometimes I get notifications that it is being blocked when there is nothing in front of it and weather is clear. It will suddenly come back, and then sometimes disconnect again shortly after, but then come right back. There are no changes I see that could be causing it to connect and disconnect. 

Is anyone else having additional issues like this? At the dealership I was told there is nothing in the system about any tailgate issues, or any of my other problems. Would be great to know I am not the only one.