Tailgate spontaneously opening

Is this only on the multi pro gate or also the regular tailgate with the electric popper?

I guess I’m going to keep my rope style tailgate clipped in just in case it ever opens nothing can come out

I put silicone into those holes on the tailgate right away. I saw no purpose for those silly holes. 

Edited by Pryme

On 1/13/2023 at 1:13 PM, RoboBear said:

Wanted to take a moment and join the discussion and say that I am also having an issue with my "new" 2022 Chevy Silverado's tailgate randomly opening. Just found my self yet again picking stuff off a busy road in traffic because the tailgate randomly decided to open while I was making a left onto the street. This isn't the first time this has happened, its completely random. This last time I had just closed the tailgate before getting into my truck and the keys were in the cup holder. This isn't the only controls/software issue I've been having though, I've had numerous issues since picking up my truck. I have attempted to resolve them with the dealership, but they won't do anything unless they see the issue when they drive around the block and test drive the truck.   I've tried to share videos and pictures of incidents when they've happened, but was told they didn't need any of it. Some of the additional issues I am having problems with are:

1. Tailgate randomly opening (keys were in the cupholder this last time, and had just closed the tailgate before driving)

2. Driver seat randomly changing positions. Mostly after the vehicle has been sitting, but there has been times I've felt it move while I was driving. I don't have set seat positions for different key fobs, and my key fob is the only one used for the truck. 

3. Randomly loosing connection to the back up camera, which I was told this past software update would fix (it didn't). The back up camera screen when working will also change. Sometimes its zoomed in with no lane guidance lines, other times it looks like it should. 

4. Lane guidance system has a mind of its own. While long distance driving at 3 am I got cut off by a merging trucker on the  highway. When I swerved to avoid getting hit the safety system with a surprising amount of force attempted to throw me back into the semi. Thought this would raise some red flags, but it did not. 

5. The collision detection breaking system randomly goes off. It will sometimes do it when I'm already in the middle of breaking and about to come to a complete stop and other times when there is nothing at all in front of me. 

6. I lose connection to the front camera as well. Sometimes I get notifications that it is being blocked when there is nothing in front of it and weather is clear. It will suddenly come back, and then sometimes disconnect again shortly after, but then come right back. There are no changes I see that could be causing it to connect and disconnect. 

Is anyone else having additional issues like this? At the dealership I was told there is nothing in the system about any tailgate issues, or any of my other problems. Would be great to know I am not the only one. 

This is certainly not what we like to hear, RoboBear.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2022 Chevrolet Silverado. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: RoboBear/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• 2 weeks later...

I just joined the club with random tailgate opening too. It the upper one for me on my GMC'21 AT4. This past summer it seemed hard to open and required a couple of pushes to release. Now it opens when you put it in park. It cant be the keyfob as it takes 2 presses to make it release and that is only for the whole gate to drop. So I am in the thinking as others its a bad switch or harness. Anyone have a picture of holes that you plug up? Here in the NE we have salt on roads and that will corrode anything not sealed up.

On 2/2/2023 at 3:59 PM, GMC4Zee said:

I just joined the club with random tailgate opening too. It the upper one for me on my GMC'21 AT4. This past summer it seemed hard to open and required a couple of pushes to release. Now it opens when you put it in park. It cant be the keyfob as it takes 2 presses to make it release and that is only for the whole gate to drop. So I am in the thinking as others its a bad switch or harness. Anyone have a picture of holes that you plug up? Here in the NE we have salt on roads and that will corrode anything not sealed up.

This is certainly not what we like to hear, GMC4Zee.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2021 GMC 3500 AT4. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: GMC4Zee/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• Sad 1

As I mentioned earlier in this thread I had the switch replaced for the upper tailgate back in September. Lately the upper tailgate switch has been hesitating and requiring multiple presses again. It’s pretty irritating not only that the switch doesn’t work properly but having to make more trips to the dealership. One for diagnosis and then of course the switch won’t be in stock so they will have to order it and then notify me that the switch came in and I’ll have to make another appointment. 

On 1/13/2023 at 3:22 PM, Pryme said:

Is this only on the multi pro gate or also the regular tailgate with the electric popper?

I guess I’m going to keep my rope style tailgate clipped in just in case it ever opens nothing can come out

I put silicone into those holes on the tailgate right away. I saw no purpose for those silly holes. 

I'm wondering the same thing.  A very concerning issue if it's all of them.

Has this happened to anyone with a 2023 yet? I'm wondering if GM fixed this issue already. It would seem more cost effective to fix it in production rather than having to pay dealers for warranty repairs and replacements.

I've been careful not to spray the tailgate control area with high pressure water. Just trying to prevent the issue since I read about this before I picked up my truck.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my replacement switch for the inner tailgate finally quit working, or at least quit working the way it’s supposed to. It doesn’t open when pressed however upon startup I often get the message: “Inner Tailgate Open” so I have to get out and close the inner tailgate. So, the dealer has ordered another inner tailgate switch. I sure hope that GMC comes up with a permanent fix for the tailgate switch dilemma. It’s rather ridiculous to have to take my truck in every 4-5 months for a new switch.

Hank

On 2/2/2023 at 2:59 PM, GMC4Zee said:

I just posted that my replaced switch went bad. When I saw that yours opens when you put it in park it reminded me that two days ago when I opened the passenger door the tailgate opened. I have also been getting three rapid flashes on the taillights which is what it does when you set the inner tailgate lockout feature. I hope that my new switch comes in before my tailgate randomly opens when parked someplace exposing my tools or in my garage because it will definitely hit my table saw and do some damage….to the tailgate not the saw. 

1 minute ago, 4x4Hank said:

I just posted that my replaced switch went bad. When I saw that yours opens when you put it in park it reminded me that two days ago when I opened the passenger door the tailgate opened. I have also been getting three rapid flashes on the taillights which is what it does when you set the inner tailgate lockout feature. I hope that my new switch comes in before my tailgate randomly opens when parked someplace exposing my tools or in my garage because it will definitely hit my table saw and do some damage….to the tailgate not the saw. 

Please keep everyone updated...Fortunately I don't have that problem but would be totally pissed it I did..

On 2/15/2023 at 5:32 AM, ssgballistics said:

My issue was on the regular power tailgate, not a multi-pro. The fix for mine was to replace the wiring harness. Dealership said that gm had updated the part with better seals to prevent water intrusion. 

So you have just the regular tailgate with just the auto dropper not raise? And it came down randomly by itself?

I’ve only seen the multi pro dropping on their own. 

seals might not help with those two stupid holes on top of the tailgate. I filled those with waterproof silicone. 

7 hours ago, Pryme said:

So you have just the regular tailgate with just the auto dropper not raise? And it came down randomly by itself?

I’ve only seen the multi pro dropping on their own. 

seals might not help with those two stupid holes on top of the tailgate. I filled those with waterproof silicone. 

No, I have the regular power tailgate. It powers up and down. 

1 hour ago, ssgballistics said:

No, I have the regular power tailgate. It powers up and down. 

Oh ok I just have the one that can drop from in the truck or key fob but doesn’t raise on its own. I don’t think my style has this dropping randomly issue.