Tailgate spontaneously opening

Yes. The dealership replaced the tailgate dampener and both switches. Not to jinx it but the tailgate seems fine. It took about a month for the parts to come in.

Have your dealership contact Central GMC in Norwood Ma and ask for Bill in service for more info....

My turn.... bought a year old 2020 AT4 last month. went to help a friend tow a boat home Friday and when we arrived after 45 minute drive the tailgate was down and an expensive marine battery was no where to be found! No chime or warning! I bought it to tow a camper with... I cannot have it come down while towing or it will contact the camper tongue jack ! Guess it’s going back to dealer!!!

Took my in on Tuesday, dealer disabled the switch at the tailgate and ordered a new one (waiting part).  The random opening and shutting in park has stop.  Until I get the new tailgate switch, I can only open/shut with dash switch or key fob.  

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm having this issue now. 

For me it's the main tailgate. First it started doing it after I had pressed the button. Clicking/unlocking over and over. Eventually would stop but every time I accessed the main gate by pushing the button it would start again. 

Truck is going in for it's first oil change Friday. They are going to fix it then hopefully. I'm really surprised that this tailgate came out in 2019 and we're still experiencing this. Very frustrating. 

Thanks guys. I called ahead hoping they can get the order in. 

Also, I couldn't take it anymore and disabled the switch. Hasn't happened again since I disconnected it. For me, it was the yellow wire pictured. You need to slide the red tab back in order to depress and unplug the switch. 

PXL_20210607_215147153.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Dealer "fixed" the issue a couple weeks ago. Tech stated they repaired a loose connection. Well the thing started opening again the other day. It's back in the shop today (all day). They didn't finish diagnosis today because they performed an intellilink update and replaced my nicked steering wheel cover - that took 8 hours apparently. I will tell them to contact Central GMC in Norwood for the tailgate issue in the morning.

What is a reasonable compensation for warranty issues like this? This will be day three without my truck for this issue and they "don't have any loaners available"... If it weren't for COVID I would be screwed right now with getting to work.

That stinks, I had to wait about a  month for parts and it took them a half day to repair the issue. Have talk with Bill in Service.

I would have them disconnect the tailgate buttons while they order new switches. Your tailgate will still work via FOB and inside the cab switch (minus inner tailgate) without fearing it opening whenever.... It's been since early April since my repairs and fingers crossed... Two switches and dampener...  

Friend of mine had a 2020 Sierra. His tailgate would randomly drop. Caused some damage when it dropped while towing a trailer. He had it to the dealer several times, they couldn't duplicate and refused to fix the damage. He got so frustrated he now drives a Ram. Talked to him a few days ago. He's much happier.

Yea I disconnected it myself when it started happening so that it wouldn't damage itself. That's why i posted those pics above for anyone else having the issue. 

Bill isn't with Prime anymore. I spoke with the new service manager last time but I'll talk to him again about making this right. That's the most frustrating thing about this all... just make it right. Customer service is so dead (at least in MA). The dealership thinks that because this is a warranty issue that they don't have an obligation to make the customer happy. The free service is sufficient... well that's BS. $60k dollars later and no vehicle for 3 days... that inconvenience should be compensated.