Tailgate spontaneously opening

1 minute ago, Nick Avila Jr. said:

My 2021 Denali 3500 tail gate open randomly also! Found out that when it rains or snow it opens.. I’m in mn gmc has replaced my switch 4-6 times and also the switch inside dash… 

(2) weeks ago now it’s back to opening randomly  have a strap on my tail gate! Not sure what to do .. $80,000 truck and tail gate is ruining my love for this truck!!

come on gmc fix this!!! 

o by the way GMC did fill both holes on my tailgate!!!!

On 4/1/2023 at 7:23 PM, Nick Avila Jr. said:

My 2021 Denali 3500 tail gate open randomly also! Found out that when it rains or snow it opens.. I’m in mn gmc has replaced my switch 4-6 times and also the switch inside dash… 

(2) weeks ago now it’s back to opening randomly  have a strap on my tail gate! Not sure what to do .. $80,000 truck and tail gate is ruining my love for this truck!!

come on gmc fix this!!!

I'm only on my third switch so that's a bad situation that you have there. There must be a lot of bad switches because it takes a long time for the dealerships to get new switches in stock.

On 4/1/2023 at 8:03 PM, Pryme said:

So even they feel the holes serve no purpose and in all honesty, could cause an issue that doesn’t need to happen. 

It would be like keeping a couple random holes in your roof. 

So, I assume that the drain holes are there to keep the indentation/pull handle from filling up with water and ice. I'm not sure if the drain holes are the culprit with the faulty switches but if they are the cause that is pretty pi$$ poor engineering! 

Hank

8 hours ago, 4x4Hank said:

So, I assume that the drain holes are there to keep the indentation/pull handle from filling up with water and ice. I'm not sure if the drain holes are the culprit with the faulty switches but if they are the cause that is pretty pi$$ poor engineering! 

Hank

Yeah, it feel to me like an engineered problem that doesn’t need to exist. 

I read there is no tube or anything to direct the water out the bottom but instead any water that goes into those holes just drips right down on the tailgate internals. 

id rather deal with a bit of standing water in that pocket over water intrusion into the top of the tailgate. 

its not a big deal to me the water just falls out when you open the tailgate. 

18 hours ago, Pryme said:

Yeah, it feel to me like an engineered problem that doesn’t need to exist. 

I read there is no tube or anything to direct the water out the bottom but instead any water that goes into those holes just drips right down on the tailgate internals. 

id rather deal with a bit of standing water in that pocket over water intrusion into the top of the tailgate. 

its not a big deal to me the water just falls out when you open the tailgate. 

Agreed.

So a few days have passed since the Dealership replaced my 2 switches.

They told me they would reschedule a paint department so they can fix the scratches on the tailgate. They still have not got that done.

I am wondering since this is obviously a recurring problem for GMC and CHEV trucks, eventually a class action lawsuit will result. 

I looked at an older GMC truck and there are no holes in the handle area of the tailgate.

Are there any owners with older trucks having same problem out there?

I'm surprised my 2023 has the indent with holes at bottom, seems they would have changed that by now, perhaps they made changes inside tailgate to prevent water from getting to the tailgate switches... I might just go ahead and dab some silicon in those holes to prevent water from getting in there..

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Scotkb75 said:

I'm surprised my 2023 has the indent with holes at bottom, seems they would have changed that by now, perhaps they made changes inside tailgate to prevent water from getting to the tailgate switches... I might just go ahead and dab some silicon in those holes to prevent water from getting in there..

It’s the only logical thing to do. Unless someone can give me a logical reason water should be running down into the tailgate. 

if I had two holes in my roof, I’d fill those too. 

I've had 2 trucks in the past year with this tailgate and never had either of them open on their own. They've been plenty wet from snow, ice & rain and it hasn't affected either one. Pretty sure water isn't causing your problems, gotta either be a faulty switch, or a computer glitch. I'm pretty sure GM Engineers got things figured out a bit better than you guys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtbadbob said:

I've had 2 trucks in the past year with this tailgate and never had either of them open on their own. They've been plenty wet from snow, ice & rain and it hasn't affected either one. Pretty sure water isn't causing your problems, gotta either be a faulty switch, or a computer glitch. I'm pretty sure GM Engineers got things figured out a bit better than you guys.

I’ve read there is nothing in the tailgate to channel the water in and out the bottom. Maybe everything in there is waterproof though I have no idea. 

but logically I feel water going in there serves no purpose so I’ll eliminate it. 

I never tied the water intrusion to these faulty tailgates though. 

im just in the “I’ll deal with pooling water on occasion over water intrusion crowd”

Maybe the same engineers who designed the Vega designed the tailgate holes?

Edited by Pryme
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pryme said:

Maybe the same engineers who designed the Vega designed the tailgate holes?

Are you talking about the engineers that thought it would be a good idea to make the cylinder liners aluminum?  Oh yeah, got to love the old Vega's....lol....

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

Are you talking about the engineers that thought it would be a good idea to make the cylinder liners aluminum?  Oh yeah, got to love the old Vega's....lol....

The 8-6-4 engineers also had some issues. Or the Ford Pinto team. 

• Haha 1