Tailgate spontaneously opening

2 minutes ago, Pryme said:

The 8-6-4 engineers also had some issues. Or the Ford Pinto team. 

The 864 engineers did a crappy job on the caddies...it was a total joke...But the pinto was actually a great vehicle...it was fast as hell for the day, handled well....god help you if you got rear ended but it was a great driving car and quite fast.  I never owned one but my buddy did and I used to beat the crap out of it....lol....it really was a great car...

2 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

The 864 engineers did a crappy job on the caddies...it was a total joke...But the pinto was actually a great vehicle...it was fast as hell for the day, handled well....god help you if you got rear ended but it was a great driving car and quite fast.  I never owned one but my buddy did and I used to beat the crap out of it....lol....it really was a great car...

Yeah I meant just the exploding experience being rear ended 

• Like 1

Just now, Pryme said:

Yeah I meant just the exploding experience being rear ended 

I got that....so it was a minor inconvenience for some...but it really was a damn good car...lol...

• Haha 1

I had the same issue with my 2021 Silverado 3500 tailgate randomly going down whenever it was unlocked. It was huge pain.  I finally was able to figure out that it was the release switch on the tailgate. I had just put a Tonneau cover on and all the water from either rain or car wash was being funneled to the top of the tailgate and there are two drain holes in the handle on top of the tailgate and they drain right over top of the switch. I plugged the holes for now and ordered another switch. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/2/2023 at 9:20 PM, 4x4Hank said:

I'm only on my third switch so that's a bad situation that you have there. There must be a lot of bad switches because it takes a long time for the dealerships to get new switches in stock.

Probably wouldn't be hard to guess where those switches are being made. I guess I'm lucky so far,,,

• Thanks 1

I brought my truck to the dealer for turn signal and brake light errors. As luck would have it my inner tailgate switch that was on back order FOR A MONTH arrived while my truck was there so the mechanic installed it right away. The mechanic said that it’s not a sealed waterproof switch. The mechanic also said the my light problem was probably because of the tailgate switch shorting out since it’s all connected back there. The lights needed to be reprogrammed. After I got home I immediately siliconed the two holes on the top of the tailgate. I don’t want to have to go through this faulty tailgate switch every few months or problems with the lights because of the switch problems. I love the features of the MultiPro Tailgate but there is definitely a design flaw with the switches since so many are failing. The service department says that there has not been a TSB issued with regards to the failing switches. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4x4Hank said:

I brought my truck to the dealer for turn signal and brake light errors. As luck would have it my inner tailgate switch that was on back order FOR A MONTH arrived while my truck was there so the mechanic installed it right away. The mechanic said that it’s not a sealed waterproof switch. The mechanic also said the my light problem was probably because of the tailgate switch shorting out since it’s all connected back there. The lights needed to be reprogrammed. After I got home I immediately siliconed the two holes on the top of the tailgate. I don’t want to have to go through this faulty tailgate switch every few months or problems with the lights because of the switch problems. I love the features of the MultiPro Tailgate but there is definitely a design flaw with the switches since so many are failing. The service department says that there has not been a TSB issued with regards to the failing switches. 

Did you ask him his opinion on the holes?

maybe the same person who green lights bud light ideas gave the go for the holes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 4x4Hank said:

He said to silicone them

That's good enough for me. I know what I'm doing tomorrow. At the very least, it's not going to hurt anything even if it doesn't prevent the problem.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 4/5/2023 at 7:25 PM, Pryme said:

I wonder if the 24’s have the holes

The 2024s do have the holes, and I am having this issue now. I have a 2024 Sierra HD with the gas engine and about 600 miles on it. Have had it for just over a week, and this issue has happened twice. The first time I thought I might have just accidentally hit the switch or something, but I backed into a spot at Costco today and came back to find my tailgate opened into a bush behind the truck. Pretty frustrating as I'm also having issues with the trailer brake controller randomly disconnecting as I'm pulling a trailer. Came from two Toyota Tundras before this with zero issues ever, but I needed an HD and get to deal with this now... I'll be heading to the dealer later this week when we're back from our first trip, but my first impressions with GM haven't been great so far.

Edited by BuckWallace
Typo

30 minutes ago, BuckWallace said:

The 2024s do have the holes, and I am having this issue now. I have a 2024 Sierra HD with the gas engine and about 600 miles on it. Have had it for just over a week, and this issue has happened twice. The first time I thought I might have just accidentally hit the switch or something, but I backed into a spot at Costco today and came back to find my tailgate opened into a bush behind the truck. Pretty frustrating as I'm also having issues with the trailer brake controller randomly disconnecting as I'm pulling a trailer. Came from two Toyota Tundras before this with zero issues ever, but I needed an HD and get to deal with thus now... I'll be heading to the dealer later this week when we're back from our first trip, but my first impressions with GM haven't been great so far.

Sorry to hear. The tailgate randomly falling would be very worrying to me. Do you have multi pro tailgate?

I filled those holes right away when I saw them. I logically couldn’t find a reason to not fill them.  If my roof had two holes I’d fill those also. 

I came from a 16 tundra. Owned 5yrs. The first year I had a few things. Radio needed to be replaced under warranty, a bad squeak developed in the dead pedal and that had to be repaired and the alignment was off and needed to be fixed. I also had a small annoying rattle top of the dash I put a piece of thick tape in to fix myself and lastly the window would rattle in the track if it was down just an inch. If it was a few inches down it wouldn’t rattle. 

I never had any of the odd electrical anomalies though or the leaf knocks and clunks in the tundra though. So each truck has their little things 

11 hours ago, Pryme said:

Sorry to hear. The tailgate randomly falling would be very worrying to me. Do you have multi pro tailgate?

I filled those holes right away when I saw them. I logically couldn’t find a reason to not fill them.  If my roof had two holes I’d fill those also. 

I came from a 16 tundra. Owned 5yrs. The first year I had a few things. Radio needed to be replaced under warranty, a bad squeak developed in the dead pedal and that had to be repaired and the alignment was off and needed to be fixed. I also had a small annoying rattle top of the dash I put a piece of thick tape in to fix myself and lastly the window would rattle in the track if it was down just an inch. If it was a few inches down it wouldn’t rattle. 

I never had any of the odd electrical anomalies though or the leaf knocks and clunks in the tundra though. So each truck has their little things 

I do have the Multi-Pro, yes. I can also see those holes you're taking about. After the dealer addresses the issue I'll probably try to rig up some drain tubes to direct the water away from the switch rather than just siliconing the holes, but we'll see. 

On 5/18/2022 at 9:21 AM, mijibage said:

Top switch is #85521472

Bottom switch is #84758464

I've replaced both on my 21 3500HD AT4. So far so good. 

Fellas, which number do I need for my 2021 2500 Silverado Custom?

My Custom of course, doesn't have the fancy tailgate.

And, hasn't GM issued a Service Bulletin on this issue

1 hour ago, MacLaren said:

Fellas, which number do I need for my 2021 2500 Silverado Custom?

My Custom of course, doesn't have the fancy tailgate.

And, hasn't GM issued a Service Bulletin on this issue

Should be part number 85626239 which replaces 84758465 and 85521472. Not sure if they "fixed" the switch or why the new part number. Mine quit working a couple of weeks ago after doing the spontaneous opening trick for a few days.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 10:49 PM, BuckWallace said:

The 2024s do have the holes, and I am having this issue now. I have a 2024 Sierra HD with the gas engine and about 600 miles on it. Have had it for just over a week, and this issue has happened twice. The first time I thought I might have just accidentally hit the switch or something, but I backed into a spot at Costco today and came back to find my tailgate opened into a bush behind the truck. Pretty frustrating as I'm also having issues with the trailer brake controller randomly disconnecting as I'm pulling a trailer. Came from two Toyota Tundras before this with zero issues ever, but I needed an HD and get to deal with this now... I'll be heading to the dealer later this week when we're back from our first trip, but my first impressions with GM haven't been great so far.

This is certainly not what we like to hear, BuckWallace.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with the Multi-Pro Tailgate on your 2024 GMC Sierra HD. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: BuckWallace/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com