Towing at the limit

2 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

My shop see examples of heavy towing daily. Non of my trucks were stock. 
I just stopped towing in the mid 2000s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice, I'm assuming you upgraded cooling and probably tuned? Once you tune I don't think I can ever go back to stock, lol.

Nice, I'm assuming you upgraded cooling and probably tuned? Once you tune I don't think I can ever go back to stock, lol.

Tunes on diesel and gas. Early gas cams, intake, headers, some gear changes and gear vendors. Some electric fans when needed. Slick 50, STP, keep cool in the cooling. Later Amsoil in everything. Only engine failure was a V-10 injector seal lean out. One transmission pre 100K C-6. Amsoil change all that. Had some injector problems in 2000 models Cummins that was widespread. Cured through the aftermarket. Banks kits were a blast on diesels. By the later 2000s too busy to haul equipment, farmed that out. Only service trucks have diesels now. 2 tons with service bodies. Drive trains basically the same as 1 tons. One GM gas 6.0. All pulling hard no problems. Pretty impressed with the diesel for power. And gas too. Now retired I stay away from new trucks. If I can’t play with it I don’t want it. That way I have an old Avalanche.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Tunes on diesel and gas. Early gas cams, intake, headers, some gear changes and gear vendors. Some electric fans when needed. Slick 50, STP, keep cool in the cooling. Later Amsoil in everything. Only engine failure was a V-10 injector seal lean out. One transmission pre 100K C-6. Amsoil change all that. Had some injector problems in 2000 models Cummins that was widespread. Cured through the aftermarket. Banks kits were a blast on diesels. By the later 2000s too busy to haul equipment, farmed that out. Only service trucks have diesels now. 2 tons with service bodies. Drive trains basically the same as 1 tons. One GM gas 6.0. All pulling hard no problems. Pretty impressed with the diesel for power. And gas too. Now retired I stay away from new trucks. If I can’t play with it I don’t want it. That way I have an old Avalanche.

Amsoil is my choice in everything also. I usually cheap out if I don't plan on running it for a long time or I know the engine will last forever even if you piss in the oil tank. I've actually been running Mobil 1 0w-20 in this truck as everyone is showing it performs very similar to amsoil in the L83 at least. The industry is starting to catch up to Amsoil.

• Like 3

On 4/8/2021 at 9:00 AM, ic3man5 said:

I've actually been running Mobil 1 0w-20 in this truck as everyone is showing it performs very similar to amsoil in the L83 at least. The industry is starting to catch up to Amsoil.

i would like to see this test data showing it performs as good as amsoil... i use to run Mobile 1 in all my cars, until it began sludging up the heads and oil cap.

• Like 1

Some vehicles are more prone to sludge than others.  Regardless of what oil you use.  There were a number of Toyota engines in the Camry and Corolla in the 2000-2010 range that had this issue, small oil passages were the cause from what I recall. 

Running a quality synthetic will always benefit the user.  The extra protection in extreme conditions against heat as well as sever cold are major benefits.  AMSOIL's Severe Gear lubricant is outstanding.  My 2002 Silverado I ran it to 100k miles in the differentials.  Sent a sample off and they came back stating it was in great shape and run the next fill out to 125K.  This is even pulling a 4K lbs , 10'x20' trailer with a stock differential cover.

• Like 1

Running a quality synthetic will always benefit the user.  The extra protection in extreme conditions against heat as well as sever cold are major benefits.  AMSOIL's Severe Gear lubricant is outstanding.  My 2002 Silverado I ran it to 100k miles in the differentials.  Sent a sample off and they came back stating it was in great shape and run the next fill out to 125K.  This is even pulling a 4K lbs , 10'x20' trailer with a stock differential cover.

The C6 transmission I mentioned that failed before 100K was in a 88 Ford one ton my father’s truck. After rebuilding Amsoil was added. It went 185K miles after adding a bank’s turbo and gear vendors overdrive. I’m sure other oils are getting close. Just like always running BFG tires. Once a product exceeds expectations l stick with it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pokismoki said:

i would like to see this test data showing it performs as good as amsoil... i use to run Mobile 1 in all my cars, until it began sludging up the heads and oil cap.

It was in 2015 when I first bought to truck I found it over in Bob is the oil guy forums. The 0w-20 variant is good, Amsoil can last for a longer duration though. I've had the same experience in the past with Mobil 1's 5W-30 weight oils, those aren't anything special.

5 hours ago, diyer2 said:

No way off the shelf oil of any brand can compare to a 100% full synthetic oil like Amsoil IMO.

Mobil 1 0W-20 Extended can. Not all AMSOIL is god tier oil just like most mobil 1 oil isn't anything special.

Mobil 1 0W-20 Extended can. Not all AMSOIL is god tier oil just like most mobil 1 oil isn't anything special.

Of course not. They have oil for more frequent oil changes. And it’s cheaper.

1 hour ago, ic3man5 said:

Believe whatever you like but no comparison IMO. 

6 hours ago, KARNUT said:

The C6 transmission I mentioned that failed before 100K was in a 88 Ford one ton my father’s truck. After rebuilding Amsoil was added. It went 185K miles after adding a bank’s turbo and gear vendors overdrive. I’m sure other oils are getting close. Just like always running BFG tires. Once a product exceeds expectations l stick with it.

Exactly!  AMSOIL transmission fluids and gear oils are very stout products. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Believe whatever you like but no comparison IMO

Its a fact and its backed by lab analysis and independent research. Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one but doesn't mean they are right. Lets not start another oil war conversation here with nothing to back it; its boring and off-topic.

This is a good read if you are interested: https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

Rank 6 vs 60. They are both great oils, AMSOIL is only needed if you are going to do extended drain intervals or excessive mileage per year. AMSOIL 0w20 OE < Mobil 1 0W20 < AMSOIL 0W20 Signature