Towing at the limit

16 hours ago, nominion said:

Would the weight of the driver be included in the payload calculations or should it be excluded, up to 150 lbs?  For example, if I weighed 150 lbs, would I or would I not add that to the weight of the cargo that subtracts from available payload?  How about a full tank of fuel?

I went and drove a few 3/4 ton trucks today.  To get something optioned like my current truck....yikes.  Also, while nice, I don't know if I can justify trading up to tow a trailer a half dozen times per year.  It would be a daily driver and the mileage is likely going to be 12 MPG, maybe 14 MPG if I'm lucky.  

I may go with a lighter trailer.  Something with a dry weight of 5800 lbs and tongue weight of 600 lbs, before cargo.  I would think that would be manageable.  

GM does payload as wet weight minus cargo, accessories and occupants.  So if your payload is 2000lbs, that's full fluids with you not in the truck.  The 150lbs driver calculation is used by GM for VYU plow prep plow weight allowed specs and not for payload.

Maximum payload capacity includes weight of driver, passengers, optional equipment and cargo.

So 2000lbs minus your weight and any passenger weights.  If you are 200lbs, that leaves you with 1800lbs.  

In the end of the day, the goal is to not exceed the GCWR so truck, gear, people and trailer TOTAL can't exceed 15,000lbs if that's what your GCWR is.    

If the #s on the first page of 7198lbs truck and 7826lbs trailer are correct, as is your 15,000 GCWR, you are already overweight in the driveway.  The best thing you can do is load up everything you would put in the truck (including people) and a full tank of fuel and head to the nearest CAT scale and weigh the truck.  You will then know what payload you have remaining.    

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, YukonXL04 said:

Is it the dual bar setup? I have the only 2 bar with chains and a separate sway bar and I don't love it, so looking for something better but have read mixed reviews on just about all the hitches.

Yea my uncle would follow me in his 5.3/6spd 2017 , I was towing and usually around 173-180, and he was running 195-200 with no load. So I figured the 8spd just runs cooler

Not sure what a dual bar setup is, but mine has a square bar on each side of the hitch.  Along with the weight distributing, they also help reduce the sway. 

18 hours ago, Boomer5455 said:
  On 3/22/2021 at 10:06 AM, UnlimitedMatt said:

Like everyone else said, it would be easier/better/safer with a bigger truck.  That being said, I tow my 32', 7900 pound (fully loaded) camper with my 2018 Silverado (with the same set up as yours).  The only limit I am close to when I tow is my trucks payload, which is 1662 pounds.

I have made a few modifications to my truck to help it tow better: deleted transmission thermostat, reprogrammed my electric fans, LT tires, rear air bags and GM factory towing mirrors.  

I am always towing at high elevations and I never tow over 65 mph.  My truck does fine although my towing mileage is low, 6-8 mpg on average.

Truck_Camper.jpg

Hey Matt is that a 2600RB ? Looks like my set-up.

041.jpg

They are very similar but mine is the 2800bh.  The Grand Design website says the 2800 is 2 feet longer than the 2600.  I would have gotten the 2600 but we always have others camping with us.

What kind of mpg do you get while towing?

When I tow it weights a round 6400lbs. I converted and tuned my truck to run on gas (93) and E85 so on E85 it will get a round 8.7-9.5mpg. On gas 9.9-11.5mpg depending on grades, but it pulls really great !! I didn't see it at first, I see the strip at the rear of the slide, dah ! LOL

3 hours ago, UnlimitedMatt said:

Not sure what a dual bar setup is, but mine has a square bar on each side of the hitch.  Along with the weight distributing, they also help reduce the sway. 

That's what I meant, the square bar setup. I think I'll try that on my next camper. It's a 279rb, so about the same size as yours.

The 5.3 pulls my 22MLE quite well. I did a trans thermo pill flip and changed out the water thermo to a 174 degree. Heading out west next month so I'll see what differences they make.

22MLE resized.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Capt Bob said:

The 5.3 pulls my 22MLE quite well. I did a trans thermo pill flip and changed out the water thermo to a 174 degree. Heading out west next month so I'll see what differences they make.

22MLE resized.jpg

Nice set up!  What is the length and weight of your camper?  Also what mpg do you get while towing?

P.S.  I forgot to mention in my original post that I also changed to the 174 degree thermostat.

On 3/19/2021 at 10:38 PM, nominion said:

Tow Vehicle Info

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Crew Cab Short Box

Curb Weight:    5695 lbs

Cargo Weight:    225 lbs (26 gallons of fuel, hitch, misc. stuff)

Curb weight includes a full tank of fuel.

On 3/26/2021 at 11:31 AM, UnlimitedMatt said:

Nice set up!  What is the length and weight of your camper?  Also what mpg do you get while towing?

P.S.  I forgot to mention in my original post that I also changed to the 174 degree thermostat.

IIRC the 22 is 26'-10" LOA

Last trip she weighed 6458#.

TV loaded with full tank of fuel was 6000#

It tows and handles very nice.

MPG hovers around 7 to 7.5

Edited by Capt Bob

Problem solved. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a Sierra 2500 with the features I wanted at a price I was willing to pay. 3/4 trucks are in high demand right now. I had at least 5 trucks sell before I could get to a dealer to drive them. 

PXL_20210327_191809440.jpg

Edited by nominion

1 hour ago, pokismoki said:

whats an NHT

That is the Maximum Towing Package and in a previous generation, GMT900, came with the 6.2 motor, 3.73 gears and the increased capacity cooling system with an engine oil cooler and external transmission cooler.  It has an extra leaf in the rear spring pack bringing the rear axle rating from 3950 to 4200 pounds.  The K2s are similar though I do not know what gears they used.  Towing capacity is 10,400 to almost 11,000 pounds for the RWD models.  The K2s were rated even higher if memory serves.

Towing capacity was not the concern, it's the payload capacity of the truck. In my case it was 1,505 lbs which I was going to surpass. That's going to be the limiting factor in a lot of situations. I don't know if the NHT package increases payload capacity though. 

Edited by nominion
Fixing spelling error