6.6 gas swap

I've been reading alot lately about the performance of the 6.6 gas motors in the new trucks.  I love my truck, and only wish it would have more power for get up and go.  I drive my truck the way I want, and sometimes thats faster than most.  I would have a 6.2 half ton, but my enclosed trailer is more than a half ton could pull comfortably.

I have seen a few 6.6 gas motors showing up in salvage yards already, and I believe there is even one on ebay for sale right now.  I wonder what it would take to swap in place of a 6.0?  I really don't know much about them except they are a direct inject motor (I think) but my truck is a 15 and shouldn't be that far off on electronics I wouldn't think.

• Like 1

The 6.6 is direct injection. Your truck could never run that, not even with a computer swap because you can't tune it.

It's easier to swap in a port injection 6.2 or just mod your 6.0 to gain more power. Knowing someone that can tune your truck is the key, the E78 computers are pretty difficult computer to tune for someone that hasn't done a lot of them.

I could mod my current 6.0, and probly will in the future.  It just sounded like it would be cool to do a swap with that new 6.6.  I had mine tuned and it runs rather well, but I still want more out of it.  Probly a cam swap in the future and see if that gets me what I want for awhile, 😏 

i would like to hear more about 6.0 iron block vvt stroker builds in l96 or ly6 trucks.  is feasible without a lot of other changes?  or do you need injectors, fuel pump, other items besides the engine itself?   i would want a stock idle, keep vvt and torque management, just basically a larger version of the factory l96.

i would like to hear more about 6.0 iron block vvt stroker builds in l96 or ly6 trucks.  is feasible without a lot of other changes?  or do you need injectors, fuel pump, other items besides the engine itself?   i would want a stock idle, keep vvt and torque management, just basically a larger version of the factory l96.

Yea that be sweet, idk if I mentioned it in another thread but keeping a basically stock L96, but boring out to 6.2 or 6.6. Would be interested in seeing those numbers if anyone has done something like that
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, kenny_r said:

Yea that be sweet, idk if I mentioned it in another thread but keeping a basically stock L96, but boring out to 6.2 or 6.6. Would be interested in seeing those numbers if anyone has done something like that

i don’t know that the ls engines will take the big overbores like some of the older engines, but i have seen stroker kits and curious what other modifications are necessary to run one, besides the obvious internal engine work.  basically, what do you need besides the stroked long block?

• Like 1