In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Nitrousbird

CarbonPro - worth it, or waste of $1000

I did some searches, and only came up with folks not being able to find a Tonneau cover (doesn't seem to be as big of an issue now), or that their truck has it.  I can't find anything on whether it is worth having it.

The option forces you into the Kicker MultiPro speakers - I can't think of a use case for me where I would use them.  Otherwise, what does it really get you?  I assume all the regular beds get the spray in liner now from GMC as I don't see it as an option (was part of a package on my '18), so not needing a liner really isn't an advantage.  Slightly more room in the bed doesn't seem like it is worth the money.  I get that it is lighter but trucks tend to be light in the rear anyway, so not a big advantage there.  

I'm all for new tech, but can someone explain the real world value to this package?

Edit:  Looking further, I think what really screws you on the price of this bed is that damn speaker package you are forced to take.  That's an $815 stand-alone option.  You can also buy it on its own and add it to the truck; a 30 second search found it for $572, part number 19417163.  If someone wants that option, it make a lot more sense to just add it later (it doesn't look hard to install).  Unfortunately, this forced option is really the driving factor for the cost of the CarbonPro bed...without that requirement, it would likely be a $500 - $600 option.

Edited by Nitrousbird

Bed cover and mat or spray in. Trifold or regular. Depending on what you haul. A grand for a fancy liner? Naa, I like the other options. I wouldn’t do fancy expensive paint covers either. There’s people that do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

A grand for a fancy liner? Naa, I like the other options. 

The CabonPro bed isn't a bed liner.  The entire bed is made of the material, meaning it doesn't need a bed liner, or wheel well liners.  Not an equivalent comparison.  

If you drop bricks or stones in the bed from 10 stories up, it won't dent.

I don't see much value for me either. I do have a bullet liner ($500) and don't abuse my bed. I guess if you don't have to pay for a spray-in, then its really only costing $500 more for the upgrade. I agree that weight savings isn't a huge factor either. Offering a synthetic bed is just another thing they can market.

16 minutes ago, aseibel said:

I don't see much value for me either. I do have a bullet liner ($500) and don't abuse my bed. I guess if you don't have to pay for a spray-in, then its really only costing $500 more for the upgrade. I agree that weight savings isn't a huge factor either. Offering a synthetic bed is just another thing they can market.

I did a bit more research, and the spray-in liner is standard on the AT4 and Denali for the T1 trucks, so that can't be figured into the savings. It is part of the Premium Plus package on the SLT, which was the same as when I bought my SLT.

• Like 1

I just looked at trading into a Denali with the CP bed.  There were no back fender well liners and I was told those are not available with this bed.  Not sure if true but it didn't look finished without them.  That was a negative along with the lack of variety in bed covers.

1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

I did some searches, and only came up with folks not being able to find a Tonneau cover (doesn't seem to be as big of an issue now), or that their truck has it.  I can't find anything on whether it is worth having it.

The option forces you into the Kicker MultiPro speakers - I can't think of a use case for me where I would use them.  Otherwise, what does it really get you?  I assume all the regular beds get the spray in liner now from GMC as I don't see it as an option (was part of a package on my '18), so not needing a liner really isn't an advantage.  Slightly more room in the bed doesn't seem like it is worth the money.  I get that it is lighter but trucks tend to be light in the rear anyway, so not a big advantage there.  

I'm all for new tech, but can someone explain the real world value to this package?

Factory spray liner is standard only on AT4 and Denali.  Its an option on all other trims.  

The Kicker if you ordered a truck with it you could always have the dealer not install it and then sell the kit.

Otherwise, $1070 for a bed that doesn't need a liner put in it, that's a 60lbs weight savings over the steel one, and is just about indestructible?  Doesn't sound too bad a deal to me.  Plus it boosts payload by up to 60lbs.  

Until you look at the ProTec beds on the GMT-800.  The ENTIRE box was composite, not just the floor and inner walls.  The outsides skins were as well.  The CarbonPro is just the inner walls that are composite.  The outer walls are still steel.  So its basically $800 for the bed floor and inner walls, $270 for the Kicker.    

ProTec was $850 at the time, and GM only moved 5,000 units.  They projected 50,000/year.  Lots of poor marketing handling on the dealer end killed it.  Shame because when you look at ProTec vs. CarbonPro, the ProTec at $850 today would totally be worth $850.    

GMC CarbonPro Delivers Innovation and Durability Where It Counts

message-editor%2F1556498621440-2019sierra_carbonpro.jpg?quality=60

Edited by newdude

The CabonPro bed isn't a bed liner.  The entire bed is made of the material, meaning it doesn't need a bed liner, or wheel well liners.  Not an equivalent comparison.  

It’s inter bed panels. I stand by my statement. I’d rather cover the bed. My last few trucks came with bed liner as part of the Texas Edition package. Most of my trucks had fuel tanks, toolbox, air compressor, tools and parts. Never had a problem with denting the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Troger said:

I just looked at trading into a Denali with the CP bed.  There were no back fender well liners and I was told those are not available with this bed.  Not sure if true but it didn't look finished without them.  That was a negative along with the lack of variety in bed covers.

No rear wheel liners because they aren't needed.  The wheel liners are composite molded part of the inner box walls and won't rust.  

Edited by newdude

2 hours ago, aseibel said:

It just cracks🙂

"CarbonPro bed replaces the standard steel panels and floor of a traditional pickup bed with a durable carbon-fiber composite."

https://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/trucks/carbon-pro-bed-vs-hurricane-winds

PCP         Denali CarbonPro Edition, includes (PDV) MultiPro Audio System by Kicker and CarbonPro Composite Bed.
1 -  Requires TK10543 model and (L87) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine or (LM2) Duramax 3.0L Turbo-Diesel I6 engine, (SGM) 22" high gloss Black wheels, LPO and (PEC) Denali Ultimate Package.

Not available with and deletes (CGN) spray-on bedliner.

Not available with and deletes (B1J) rear wheelhouse liners.

(SGM) 22" high gloss Black, LPO wheels can be substituted with (SF0) 22" (55.9cm) Bright Chrome, LPO wheels.

Not available with any other LPO wheels.

Please note that (SFE) wheel locks, LPO will be deleted, LPO 22" wheels will include wheel locks without the RPO code.  

TK10543 is   (T)GMC (K)4wd (10)1500  (5)shortbox  (43) crew

AT4 version similar:

PCP         AT4 CarbonPro Edition, includes Unique Grille Surround with Black Chrome Finish, AT4 Carbon Hard Badge, Carbon Composite Bed, (PDV) MultiPro Audio System by Kicker and Black dual exhaust tips. Wheels may be upgraded to (NZQ) 20" 6-spoke Carbon Grey painted aluminum wheels

1 -  Requires Crew cab short bed TK10543 model and (L87) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine or (LM2) Duramax 3.0L TurboDiesel I6 engine and (PDG) AT4 Premium Package or (RFV) AT4 Value Package.

Requires one of the following exterior colors, (GBA) Onyx Black, (GAZ) Summit White, (G9K) Satin Steel Metallic or (GB8) Ebony Twilight Metallic. Not available with and deletes (CGN) spray-on bedliner.

Not available with and deletes (B1J) rear wheelhouse liners.

Not available with (NZH) 20" machined aluminum with Carbon Grey Metallic accents wheels. (VXW) AT4 high clearance step can be substituted with (S6L) Sport Step, Black, LPO but no other assist steps are available.

Note if (RFV) AT4 Value Package is ordered no assist steps will be available. 

4 minutes ago, redwngr said:

"CarbonPro bed replaces the standard steel panels and floor of a traditional pickup bed with a durable carbon-fiber composite."

https://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/trucks/carbon-pro-bed-vs-hurricane-winds

AT4 version similar:

Requires one of the following exterior colors, (GBA) Onyx Black, (GAZ) Summit White, (G9K) Satin Steel Metallic or (GB8) Ebony Twilight Metallic.

I'm surprised that on the Chevy side, you are limited to the color choices. 

4 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Edit:  Looking further, I think what really screws you on the price of this bed is that damn speaker package you are forced to take.  That's an $815 stand-alone option.  You can also buy it on its own and add it to the truck; a 30 second search found it for $572, part number 19417163.  If someone wants that option, it make a lot more sense to just add it later (it doesn't look hard to install).  Unfortunately, this forced option is really the driving factor for the cost of the CarbonPro bed...without that requirement, it would likely be a $500 - $600 option.

You also have to extend the wiring on the Gen5diy bedlight harness mod. 

I think I read the carbon pro option only saves 60lbs of weight.   It was t worth it to me. 

4 hours ago, gemarsh said:

I'm surprised that on the Chevy side, you are limited to the color choices. 

AT4 and Denali are both GMC.

I'm not aware that Chev offers the PCP option...