Shock recommendations for my daily driver

Just an alternative opinion,...I'll vote AGAINST Bilstein almost any day. In general, I'm not a fan of their valving. In several applications, I've used them and always had some remorse. 

They're just too stiff on the small bumps and irregularities. I'd put a set of Monroe shocks on with a spacer before even thinking of touching a 5100. The 6112 series is rumored to have a lot more forgiving valving.  

• Like 2

I used KYB Gas Adjust struts on my 15 Silverado Z71 4WD. Not as firm as Bilstein, somewhat firmer than original.  I agree, I would never buy Bilstein based on past experience with a 3500 van.  The ride was extremely hard. Apparently some of our readers love them, I don't!

• Like 2

I'm just about to install some Rancho RS5000X shocks on my truck after noticing my OEM shocks were worn. I went with the ranchos because they weren't too expensive and I've heard the same thing as others here have mentioned about the Bilsteins being too stiff. I'll see how the 5000Xs ride and let you know. 

• Like 2

I'm just about to install some Rancho RS5000X shocks on my truck after noticing my OEM shocks were worn. I went with the ranchos because they weren't too expensive and I've heard the same thing as others here have mentioned about the Bilsteins being too stiff. I'll see how the 5000Xs ride and let you know. 

Awesome!! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Bilstein 5100’s front and 5125 rear(custom length 5100 for lifted applications). I really like the Billy’s. Definitely an improvement over the stock Ranchos that bounce like a rodeo horse.

I was wanting the 6112’s but they weren’t out when I bought mine. I don’t have any input on those but I have heard good things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I installed the KYB on my 2002, I didn't notice any difference.  This was at 115k on the original shocks, that when I took them off were still good.  The roads here in eastern NC are in good shape. Just an FYI

Mine came with the z71 Rancho shocks. At 30k I changed them when I put my lift on. It came with new rough country rear shocks and I like them alot better then the Ranchos. I will be buying the rough country fronts soon, if I don't trade in on a new truck lol