Still Missing my K2

After 12k miles and 7 months on the T1XX 2020 SIlverado RST I still miss my 2016 LT... I find myself looking on cars.com at used 2016-2018's on almost a daily basis.. Quality was just better on the last gen trucks and the driving position kinda sucks IMO on the T1XX, really don't know why they eliminated the tilt steering wheel for only telescope, feels like I'm driving a school bus because you can't get the wheel vertical enough and since I've got short arms and long legs I really miss the pedal adjustment, I would push the pedals all the way away from me and the wheel about 85% out.. Just can't bring myself to trade in a truck I bought brand new for a 3 year old truck with 30k plus miles for basically a wash cost wise.. GM really missed the mark on some things on these new trucks... If I could add tilt wheel and power adjust pedals I think I'd be able to move on OR at least adjustable pedals ffs..

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Imcrazy said:

really don't know why they eliminated the tilt steering wheel for only telescope, feels like I'm driving a school bus because you can't get the wheel vertical enough

???

I can tilt and telescope mine.  It's all done with one adjustment lever.  Pull it down and adjust both.  As for the pedal adjustment, if you have power seats, give the bottom from a bump up or two.  It'll pull your legs further from the pedals.  Nearly all of the manufacturers are doing away with them since 99% of people don't use them

7 minutes ago, Rob Mugs said:

???

I can tilt and telescope mine.  It's all done with one adjustment lever.  Pull it down and adjust both.  As for the pedal adjustment, if you have power seats, give the bottom from a bump up or two.  It'll pull your legs further from the pedals.  Nearly all of the manufacturers are doing away with them since 99% of people don't use them

They call it tilt and telescope but, it doesn't really tilt if you get down to it.. Its height and depth adjustable (maybe slight change in angle when the height is changed) and can't truly be tilted.. The K2 had two levers, one for telescope and one for tilt and I could get the wheel almost straight up and down.. The tilt is fixed on all T1XX trucks.. In GM's defense almost all vehicles have gone to this for many years.. Power pedals are still available on RAM and F150, I get that post ppl don't use 'em but, I sure as hell did. It would help if I could get the wheel out about 2 more inches. I'd have an F150 in the garage but, Ford's are so damn expensive, I'd have a RAM but, let's face it they don't hold up for crap and rust out her in the salty north after about 6 or 8 years plus they're so expensive to maintain..

Edited by Imcrazy

8 minutes ago, Imcrazy said:

They call it tilt and telescope but, it doesn't really tilt if you get down to it.. Its height and depth adjustable and can't be tilted.. The K2 had two levers, one for telescope and one for tilt and I could get the well almost straight up and down.. The tilt is fixed on all T1XX trucks.. In GM's defense almost all vehicles have gone to this for many years.. Power pedals are still available on RAM and F150, I get that post ppl don't use 'em but, I sure as hell did. It would help if I could get the wheel out about 2 more inches. I'd have an F150 in the garage but, Ford's are so damn expensive, I'd have a RAM but, let's face it they don't hold up for crap and rust out her in the salty north after about 6 or 8 years plus they're so expensive to maintain..

See what ya mean.   I have to agree to an extent.  I rented all of the big 3 for weeks each before buying.  I've been a GM guy most of my life but unlike some, have zero brand loyalty.

The Dodge, 2 of them had issues.  One, the windshield was pulling away from the body and letting in air and a tiny bit of water.  Second one kept falling on its face at random times

The Ford, no issues.  Quick and comfy

The Chevy, no issues, but not quite as comfortable

I chose the Ford until I started pricing them out.  Ford was 10-12k more at the time of purchase for similarly equipped.  That said, they also did have a MUCH higher resale value and part of me wishes I spent the extra dough. 

Overall, I'm happy with my truck.  The 6.2 is a beast when it's not snapping valve springs and grenading the motor.  It looks sexy as hell.  When it comes to buy again though...Chevy had better step up a bit more.  Ford is looking better and better

Edited by Rob Mugs
  • Like 2

I'm the opposite...just got into a new T1 and thought to myself, this is what the K2 should have been!

The seating position and column adjustability both feel very different, but I like it. I haven't owned the K2 since 2017, so maybe I'm imagining this, but the T1 seems to ride a lot softer and more floaty. K2 was just an LT, my T1 is a Z71.

I do miss having 3 big cupholders in the center armrest, versus 2 in the new one.

I spent about 20 minutes with a T1 and kept my K2 and I still think I made the right decision. That seat in the T1 is awful. They gave the farm away. Lighter? Yes. Larger? Yes. Better? Not even close. When and if my K2 ever dies...I still won't buy a T1. Not likely they will bring back a WT in RCSB trim or supply with an unlocked ECU. 😉 So how about...? :

image.jpeg.e9beec8d539ed99e0ae2a0bd3f38aa10.jpeg

• Like 1

i wont even sit in a T1, damn thing is awfull looking, i'de go back to a pre direct injected, do a resto on myself.  only thing good on T1 is the engine, nothing else is tuneable, just GM corporate crap now..  thye're getting us ready for EV garbage and GPS  control systems on the next stuff.  old and reliable. 90's trucks is probably a step in the right direction with late model LS..

• Like 1

Everyone bitches about how hard it is to tune the T1, but does it actually need it to be drivable like the K2 did? No.

GM fixed the complaints most people had about the K2 tuning. The lazy throttle response, the intrusive AFM. And how about those random downshifts that sounded like the driveshaft was gonna come through the back window?

11 hours ago, NorthskyblueT1 said:

I do miss having 3 big cupholders in the center armrest, versus 2 in the new one.

My 2016 LTZ has two cup holders in the center console vs four cupholders in my 2019 LTZ.

36 minutes ago, AlaskaErik said:

My 2016 LTZ has two cup holders in the center console vs four cupholders in my 2019 LTZ.

I had the bench seat in my K2 and again in the T1. The flip-fold center armrest/console thing used to have 3 giant cupholders and is now down to 2. There are 2 more (maybe more?) in the doors, but I typically don't use those. Not sure what the trucks with 2 buckets and a true center console had.

3 was about perfect. A coffee for the road, a soda for later, a spot for a passenger's drink, or if it was just me, my wallet/phone fit into a cupholder perfectly. Just an observation, not necessarily a gripe.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NorthskyblueT1 said:

I had the bench seat in my K2 and again in the T1. The flip-fold center armrest/console thing used to have 3 giant cupholders and is now down to 2. There are 2 more (maybe more?) in the doors, but I typically don't use those. Not sure what the trucks with 2 buckets and a true center console had.

2016 with center console has two up front.  2019 with center console has two up front and two in the back.  The two in the back are for rear seat passengers, but are easily accessible by the people up front.  My wife and I use all four...two for latte/tea and two for water bottles.