Multiflex Tailgate on Trail Boss

Anyone have one of these?  How do you like it?  I am trading in my 20 5.3 for a 21 6.2 TB and just realized it has this tailgate. I am worried it’s just another thing to go wrong. Also I have an ARE Z2 canopy I would like to transfer between the two trucks. Anyone have experience with the multiflex and a canopy?

I have the GMC version and what can go wrong?  Its operates as a normal t-gate if you never want to use the features.   Have a friend who drove 400 miles to get a Trail Boss that had it. 

Edited by elcamino

Just remember not to use it if you have a hitch connected. You will dent your tailgate. Seems like a nice feature for using you bed and getting in and out of your bed. 

I have had my AT4 for almost 2 months.  I use the MF tailgate multiple times a week.  Just being able to drop the inner gate is helpful for loading and unloading stuff in the bed.  The step is nice as well.  I haven't used it in the load stop positions yet.  

I don't leave a hitch in as I don't like the look, don't want it to rust to the receiver and I value my shins.  I also don't tow very often.

If you are loading stuff into the bed with ramps make sure you read the manual.  Either need to lower inner gate or distribute load across whole tailgate (manual explains better).

The MF tailgate will not power close.

I thought the MF tailgate was a gimmick until I used one. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, elcamino said:

I have the GMC version and what can go wrong?  Its operates as a normal t-gate if you never want to use the features.   Have a friend who drove 400 miles to get a Trail Boss that had it. 

Just a bunch more moving parts on something that used to be pretty simple. 

Was not an option I was looking for but the truck I found had everything else I wanted, I did not think I would like it at first but after about a month of ownership I find it every useful in loading. Closing the upper section is  a bit of a pain when fully open as you have to hold down on the gate and close it first or the complete gate tries to close making it awkward to close.

I'm over 65 so getting in the bed is not as easy as it was 20 years ago LOL.

Edited by WeGone

I think it would be useful but I would want a manual version, no handle and only an electronic button I don't see that working flawlessly in 5 years of regular use. Who in the world thought of the idea to power the truck tailgate down and up? I would do my best to avoid it unless it was mechanical but then again I have no problems getting in the truck with the side steps; and I have a separate extender anyways so most of the features are irrelevant and adds more complications and failure points...

Tyler

3 hours ago, blckblt said:

I thought the MF tailgate was a gimmick until I used one. 

This. I've only had the truck for days and I've already used it quite a bit. It's not perfect. It has some things that could have been designed better, but it gets used. I'd go for it.

Trail Boss.jpg

Anyone have any idea if the top of the tailgate is similar or close enough to the standard tailgate?  I see that ARE asked if you have a MF on their canopy selector but looking at images they look essentially the same up top.  I am really hoping that I am able to use my existing Z2 canopy from my 2020.

I will try to give ARE a call but they are pretty insulated with pushing people to their dealers.  Unfortunately at least in my area their dealers are not very helpful.

2 hours ago, Josef said:

Anyone have any idea if the top of the tailgate is similar or close enough to the standard tailgate?  I see that ARE asked if you have a MF on their canopy selector but looking at images they look essentially the same up top.  I am really hoping that I am able to use my existing Z2 canopy from my 2020.

I will try to give ARE a call but they are pretty insulated with pushing people to their dealers.  Unfortunately at least in my area their dealers are not very helpful.

I ordered a LSII toneau cover (not received yet 16 week lead time!) for my GMC Sierra with the Multi Pro tailgate and that was a specific ordering question with or without the Multi Pro tailgate.

Mine came with it, didn't think it was special.....but oh yeah it is....I use it almost everyday.....wouldn't buy another without it.... this is my 3rd T1 since 2019

1 hour ago, jlong1984 said:

The GMC MP tailgate is power deploying. I'd think the Chevy MF would be the same. 

It's slow opening, but not powered. The buttons power the tail gate release mechanism (unlocking) the gate to open.

I have the 2021 Trail Boss with the Multi-Pro tailgate and NOBODY makes a hard Tonneau cover for it. LEER is supposedly working on one. Talked to a dealer last week about the GM offered covers and was told that theirs would not work on the Multi-Pro tailgate. The reason was with the raised section of the cover in the drop down section of the gate. It would be so easy to make a replacement cover for the center section of the tailgate without the raised section and be able to use a cover made for a  crew cab truck.