Brake Parts Lookup?

Trying to find appropriate front brake rotor and pad part numbers for our  early 2008 Tahoe and there are a lot of confusion due to the number of AC Delco part numbers that come up. Even using our VIN on the AC Delco website many different sets of brake pads come up. To make things more confusing due to it being bullt early in the model year, I believe that the front brakes were from 2007 production (based on the stamped caliper numbers).

The rear sets were easy but the fronts are just confusing. Unfortunately the original rotors and pads are not on there which is one of the reasons for the search. The pads that the shop fitted are making the chirping noise with about 3/8" pad remaining and there is a sudden severe black brake dust coating on the wheels and uneven wear zones showing on the rotors so something is a miss. I can't say why but I suspect the parts installed might be at issue.

The pad descriptions note "first design or second design"; how would anyone know that when buying parts? And then there are variants for with or without spreader fingers. That applies to the caliper brackets too. I wouldn't know the difference if I saw it.

Does anyone have a better website to find parts numbers, perhaps more GM oriented than the AC Delco that seems to list all car makes?

Edited by Beamie

A followup question, I noticed caliper brackets also spec'd as "with" or "without" spreader fingers. Can either type be substituted for the other, as well as the pads, presuming using a "without" type of pad fits both types of brackets?

Maybe I should jump ship on AC Delco because Wagner pads are not so fussy just noting "ceramic" and "not police option".

Edited by Beamie
Added info

7 minutes ago, dsr611 said:

GMPARTSDIRECT shows front rotors as #22950036 and brake pads as #25852957 (discontinued though)

Rotors seem to be in agreement throughout a few sites but the pads are more mixed up.

Entering the VIN at GMPARTSDIRECT shows one of the pad options as 84320501 for 4wd Tahoe w/o police option. That site, as well as several others that seem to use the same database and pictures have two or three diagrams with varying part numbers below the individual diagrams.

1 hour ago, Beamie said:

Trying to find appropriate front brake rotor and pad part numbers for our  early 2008 Tahoe and there are a lot of confusion due to the number of AC Delco part numbers that come up. Even using our VIN on the AC Delco website many different sets of brake pads come up. To make things more confusing due to it being bullt early in the model year, I believe that the front brakes were from 2007 production (based on the stamped caliper numbers).

The rear sets were easy but the fronts are just confusing. Unfortunately the original rotors and pads are not on there which is one of the reasons for the search. The pads that the shop fitted are making the chirping noise with about 3/8" pad remaining and there is a sudden severe black brake dust coating on the wheels and uneven wear zones showing on the rotors so something is a miss. I can't say why but I suspect the parts installed might be at issue.

The pad descriptions note "first design or second design"; how would anyone know that when buying parts? And then there are variants for with or without spreader fingers. That applies to the caliper brackets too. I wouldn't know the difference if I saw it.

Does anyone have a better website to find parts numbers, perhaps more GM oriented than the AC Delco that seems to list all car makes?

31 minutes ago, Beamie said:

A followup question, I noticed caliper brackets also spec'd as "with" or "without" spreader fingers. Can either type be substituted for the other, as well as the pads, presuming using a "without" type of pad fits both types of brackets?

Maybe I should jump ship on AC Delco because Wagner pads are not so fussy just noting "ceramic" and "not police option".

Do you have your VIN?  It can be just the last 8 if you want.

The pad style is important as the caliper brackets are different for the with fingers and without fingers.  If you don't know what is on there now, you either have to order both styles of pads and see which is correct, or order new matching calipers to one style of pad.    

The sudden brake dust and uneven wear sounds like perhaps you have a caliper that's failing.  

5 hours ago, newdude said:

WITH fingers.  You can see them sticking up right where the pad sits in the clip:

14D1367CH_Primary.thumb.jpg.d9753cf53944d85d592660e369e604e6.jpg

WITHOUT fingers.  Yes, there are "fingers" but they DO NOT contact the pad like the ones above.

14D1363CH_Primary.thumb.jpg.94e761f8bcac2fb40bb2fe30f7ffbc91.jpg

Thanks for that. Surprising that vendors have nothing to say to help.

Why would Chevy put both on the same year and model truck?

5 hours ago, newdude said:

Do you have your VIN?  It can be just the last 8 if you want.

The pad style is important as the caliper brackets are different for the with fingers and without fingers.  If you don't know what is on there now, you either have to order both styles of pads and see which is correct, or order new matching calipers to one style of pad.    

The sudden brake dust and uneven wear sounds like perhaps you have a caliper that's failing.  

Yes, I have used my VIN and both types come up. Go figure! It does not have the originals on there but I can take the installed ones out and see what they fit. I think you are saying they could not have mixed them up in the replacement.

I have an ‘08 Sierra and if I don’t use the brake code on the sticker in the glove box I always get the wrong ones, I have been using KOI auto parts just because they’re the the ones who figured it out.

18 hours ago, bubbanbrenda said:

I have an ‘08 Sierra and if I don’t use the brake code on the sticker in the glove box I always get the wrong ones, I have been using KOI auto parts just because they’re the the ones who figured it out.

I didn't realize there was a record in there and it appears to be the build codes. My brake code is JD9. The parts listings I see don't seem to reference JD9 but might reference part of the descriptions in JD9.

Edited by Beamie

I have to correct my original post. The part numbers that I have are for the caliper Brackets, not the calipers.

They are bracket numbers 285/286 that lead me to think that they were 2007 parts but I may be mistaken in that because I see Centric listings for the same pads for 2007 and 2008 based on those same bracket numbers.

11 hours ago, Beamie said:

NewDude;

Not picking up on them. Are you referring to the clips or the pads?

Can you point them out?

Look at the clips.  And how the fingers are on them.  The first set of pads the fingers are on the side of the clip the pad sits in and contact the back of the pad. 

On the lower picture, the finger isn't in that area, it goes downwards away from the pads and makes no contact.  

1 hour ago, newdude said:

Look at the clips.  And how the fingers are on them.  The first set of pads the fingers are on the side of the clip the pad sits in and contact the back of the pad. 

On the lower picture, the finger isn't in that area, it goes downwards away from the pads and makes no contact.  

Thanks.

It looks like there may be no difference in the pads, just the clips.