Leveling AT4 so many choices...

7 hours ago, JT2000 said:

This may be a dumb question. If I just change the springs instead of a level would I change UCAs still?

It really doesn't matter how you lift it, its how high you lift it that affects UCA failure. UCA failure is entirely dependent on lift HEIGHT, not what component gets you to that height.  Whether utilizing spacers, shocks, or springs, it's all irrelevant to the UCA failures. 

3.5 inches of total lift height, above the factory ride height utilized on a base model 4x4, seems to be the highest people are able to elevate consistently without failures of the UCA.  Again, how you got those 3.5 inches is entirely irrelevant.

Being an AT4, yours comes from the factory with a 2" lift above the standard 4x4 ride height, meaning you have about 1.5 inches of additional lift before you should worry too much about UCA failures.  How you achieve that additional 1.5 inches( to get a total of 3.5") of lift is irrelevant to the failure mode of the UCA.  Use a spacer, use a spring, use a shock, it literally doesn't matter (in terms of UCA failure) as long as you don't cross that imaginary 3.5" total lift threshold.

Your 3 basic options if all you are truly looking for is an additional inch or so:

1.  If you like the factory handling attributes and want to maintain those characteristics, go with a spacer to get your additional 1.5".

2.  If you want stiffer springs then use the Eibach springs to get an additional ~1"

3.  If you want better handling characteristics such as less sway, bounce, etc. then go with an adjustable height shock (or shock and spring combo) to get your 1.5".

Those are your three basic options.  Only you can decide what you want from your suspension, and therefore only you can make the choice for "what's best".  Once you figure out what you want from your suspension, if anything at all, pick from the three options listed above and move forward with your decision, its that easy.  

Based on your other topics and posts, you seem to have some trepidation regarding brands of spacers.  Quick fact, they are all the same basic spacer design.  There is no design change from one brand to the other that makes one inherently better than another.  They are all simply blocks of material designed to fit between the frame cup and shock mount and that's it, nothing more.  Like putting an extra rubber sole on the bottom of your shoe to increase your height.  

Edited by Gangly

1 hour ago, Gangly said:

It really doesn't matter how you lift it, its how high you lift it that affects UCA failure. UCA failure is entirely dependent on lift HEIGHT, not what component gets you to that height.  Whether utilizing spacers, shocks, or springs, it's all irrelevant to the UCA failures. 

3.5 inches of total lift height above the factory ride height utilized on a base model 4x4 seems to be the most people are able to lift to consistently without failures of the UCA.  Again, how you got those 3.5 inches is entirely irrelevant.

Being an AT4, yours comes from the factory with a 2" lift above the standard 4x4 ride height, meaning you have about 1.5 inches of additional lift before you should worry too much about UCA failures.  How you achieve that additional 1.5 inches( to get a total of 3.5") of lift is irrelevant to the failure mode of the UCA.  Use a spacer, use a spring, use a shock, it literally doesn't matter (in terms of UCA failure) as long as you don't cross that imaginary 3.5" total lift threshold.

Your 3 basic options if all you are truly looking for is an addition inch or so:

1.  If you like the factory handling attributes and want to maintain those characteristics, go with a spacer to get your additional 1.5".

2.  If you want stiffer springs then use the Eibach springs to get an additional ~1"

3.  If you want better handling characteristics such as less sway, bounce, etc. then go with an adjustable height shock (or shock and spring combo) to get your 1.5".

Those are your three basic options.  Only you can decide what you want from your suspension, and therefore only you can make the choice for "what's best".  Once you figure out what you want from your suspension, if anything at all, pick from the three options listed above and move forward with your decision, its that easy.  

Based on your other topics and posts, you seem to have some trepidation regarding brands of spacers.  Quick fact, they are all the same basic spacer design.  There is no design change from one brand to the other that makes one inherently better than another.  They are all simply blocks of material designed to fit between the frame cup and shock mount and that's it, nothing more.  Like putting an extra rubber sole on the bottom of your shoe to increase your height.  

Thanks for all the information, I have definitely learned a lot from reading everything. It was all a lot to take in at first, but it’s clicking now lol.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I went with the ReadyLift 1.75" front level with top and bottom spacers and new UCA's.  A couple comments on this kit.  If you are going with stock tire size/Stock wheels, you're fine.  Any tire size larger that 275 wide with stock wheels will rub on the ReadyLift UCA's.  The new ball joints are HUGE.  So I had to use spacers to push the wheels out to clear the UCA's.  Not really a huge problem, but the entire purpose of doing a lift/level is to put on bigger tires.  A 275mm tire is NOT a bigger tire.  ReadyLift needs to address this so this kit will work for 35x12.50's.

Other than that rant, I like the kit.  Nice, smooth ride. The perfect level for me. (1/2 inch lower in front, which is what I wanted), Reasonably priced.

My tires are 285/65/20's Goodyear Wrangler Ultraterrain. (34.6" tall x 11.2" wide) Love the tires and the level look.

20220112_114124.jpg

20220112_114136.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2022 at 4:17 PM, Luster said:

I went with the ReadyLift 1.75" front level with top and bottom spacers and new UCA's.  A couple comments on this kit.  If you are going with stock tire size/Stock wheels, you're fine.  Any tire size larger that 275 wide with stock wheels will rub on the ReadyLift UCA's.  The new ball joints are HUGE.  So I had to use spacers to push the wheels out to clear the UCA's.  Not really a huge problem, but the entire purpose of doing a lift/level is to put on bigger tires.  A 275mm tire is NOT a bigger tire.  ReadyLift needs to address this so this kit will work for 35x12.50's.

Other than that rant, I like the kit.  Nice, smooth ride. The perfect level for me. (1/2 inch lower in front, which is what I wanted), Reasonably priced.

My tires are 285/65/20's Goodyear Wrangler Ultraterrain. (34.6" tall x 11.2" wide) Love the tires and the level look.

20220112_114124.jpg

20220112_114136.jpg

I just purchased the exact same truck (color and all) and had the same tire size and brand installed. I had to do a lot of cutting to stop the tires from hitting since I haven't installed a leveling kit yet. What size wheel spacer did you use to push to wheel and tire away from the upper control arm?