Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Recommended Posts

I think a lot of it is the 4WD system and advanced traction management. Remember when TFL compared a new Tahoe Z71 against a new Trailboss: Yukon AT4 vs Trailboss, with the AT4 having the inferior Trailrunners. Which, I believe, is why our 2008 Range Rover with mild Continental AT's is way more competent and stress free. The extra tail weight and eLSD might be factors too. I love the 6.2L and the versatility of a pick-up, but I was hoping to be able to use our AT4 more to get around the ranch. I will be putting more aggressive AT's on the AT4, as I am sure that will help, but don't think it will ever be close to the Rover for hill climbing.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2021 at 12:02 PM, Mandalorian said:

People who want the most off-road capable 1500 are buying Raptors (mostly) and TRXs. GM has no answer for that level of off-road performance unfortunately. 

They might with the ZR2 that is set to come out soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 4x4 for snow and ice. I rarely if ever engage it outside of winter. Sometimes on an iffy boat landing or to pull through a sugar sand two track. I have gone up some ungodly steep inclines before and 4L to coast down them. I have never tried mud. Partly because I don't want to get stuck and partly because I don't want mud on my truck!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, steelerdude15 said:

They might with the ZR2 that is set to come out soon.

 

To my knowledge, that's going to be more of a Tremor/Rebel/TRD Pro competitor than a Raptor/TRX competitor

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mandalorian said:

 

To my knowledge, that's going to be more of a Tremor/Rebel/TRD Pro competitor than a Raptor/TRX competitor

GM, when it comes to our trucks, we are always happy to be 2nd, 3rd, 4th, not at all when it come to something unique and cool.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mandalorian said:

 

To my knowledge, that's going to be more of a Tremor/Rebel/TRD Pro competitor than a Raptor/TRX competitor

Oh okay. I haven't heard much about it. I'm hoping its more of a Raptor/TRX competitor more than anything. I guess we'll find out in a month.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mandalorian said:

 

To my knowledge, that's going to be more of a Tremor/Rebel/TRD Pro competitor than a Raptor/TRX competitor

 

1 hour ago, steelerdude15 said:

Oh okay. I haven't heard much about it. I'm hoping its more of a Raptor/TRX competitor more than anything. I guess we'll find out in a month.

 

The Trailboss is a Tremor/Rebel/TRD Pro competitor (2 inch lift, upgraded tires, added skids, etc). The ZR2 is going after the more hardcore off roaders that aren't desert runners. Kind of like a Power Wagon half ton version without the winch and SFA. More for rougher two tracks that aren't suitable for a half ton TB/Rebel/Tremor/Pro and would give them too touch of a time. It will be more capable than the TRX/Raptor in rock crawling, deep mud and such but behind in terms of desert running. There are already two competitors in that small low sales desert class, no need for a 3rd direct competitor, it is good they are taking a different approach that is hopefully more capable as a work truck too than the Raptor/TRX. Don't get me wrong the Silverado ZR2 will be pretty capable going fast just like the Colorado ZR2 is just not as good as the other two. It will be a good jack of all trades especially if they don't neuter the towing and hauling too much...

 

Tyler

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Amcguy1970 said:

 

 

The Trailboss is a Tremor/Rebel/TRD Pro competitor (2 inch lift, upgraded tires, added skids, etc). The ZR2 is going after the more hardcore off roaders that aren't desert runners. Kind of like a Power Wagon half ton version without the winch and SFA. More for rougher two tracks that aren't suitable for a half ton TB/Rebel/Tremor/Pro and would give them too touch of a time. It will be more capable than the TRX/Raptor in rock crawling, deep mud and such but behind in terms of desert running. There are already two competitors in that small low sales desert class, no need for a 3rd direct competitor, it is good they are taking a different approach that is hopefully more capable as a work truck too than the Raptor/TRX. Don't get me wrong the Silverado ZR2 will be pretty capable going fast just like the Colorado ZR2 is just not as good as the other two. It will be a good jack of all trades especially if they don't neuter the towing and hauling too much...

 

Tyler

Rumors of an electronic front and rear locker and extended travel suspension definitely make it sound pretty capable off road, but like you mentioned it will be too underpowered to keep up with the desert racing toys from Ford and Dodge.  Honestly, I would prefer just to have a more off road capable ride and the ZR2 setup sounds like its would be exactly what I would want since I have almost no interest in desert running and jumping.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a good idea for the ZR2 that could possibly make it more appealing to that type of customer would be to offer multiple engine choices. The TRX only has 1 engine and the Raptor only has one from the factory unless its shipped off to Shelby. I think the ZR2 should have the L84, L87 and 3.0 Duramax offered to give customers more choice, but I would even take it a step further. I would offer the LT4 as well because I would do everything I could to not lose sales to Ford and Ram since their trucks are or can be supercharged. Someone may say, well I want a supercharged version of this type of truck and since GM doesn't offer it, I'll go buy the TRX or Raptor instead. Plus, since neither the TRX or Raptor are diesel powered, it could possibly pull even more sales GM's way since they would have the only diesel available for that type of truck.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2021 at 10:13 AM, Amcguy1970 said:

 

 

The Trailboss is a Tremor/Rebel/TRD Pro competitor (2 inch lift, upgraded tires, added skids, etc). The ZR2 is going after the more hardcore off roaders that aren't desert runners. Kind of like a Power Wagon half ton version without the winch and SFA. More for rougher two tracks that aren't suitable for a half ton TB/Rebel/Tremor/Pro and would give them too touch of a time. It will be more capable than the TRX/Raptor in rock crawling, deep mud and such but behind in terms of desert running. There are already two competitors in that small low sales desert class, no need for a 3rd direct competitor, it is good they are taking a different approach that is hopefully more capable as a work truck too than the Raptor/TRX. Don't get me wrong the Silverado ZR2 will be pretty capable going fast just like the Colorado ZR2 is just not as good as the other two. It will be a good jack of all trades especially if they don't neuter the towing and hauling too much...

 

Tyler

 

The problem I see is with no power upgrade, on a modified suspension with big tires, it's going to be a hard sell. The 6.2 is a fantastic engine, but it's no match for TRX or upcoming Raptor R V8, especially with the modifications. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.