Dash camera and rear cam suggestions.

Any suggestions on a decent model dash cam and possible rear camera suggestion for recording.  I'm looking for a model that can also record when the truck is parked and not in use for recording a potential break in or damage to the truck in a parking lot. Are there any cameras that are any good? Any brand and model suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by Liquid Plumber AT4

On 8/9/2021 at 12:30 PM, Transient said:

I have the thinkware kit from GM Accessories.  However, it looks like you want something like sentry mode on the Teslas.  I don't believe that's an option, and only Tesla has it. 

Did you get the thinkware standard or premium model??. Looks like on both models it will record while the vehicle is parked and off for vandalism? Does the thinkware kit record the rear to? And last....does it require a wire harness....or is it plug and play? Thank you again.

On 8/7/2021 at 3:07 PM, Liquid Plumber AT4 said:

I'm looking for a model that can record when the truck is parked and not in use also for recording a potential break in or damage to truck in a parking lot. 

You may want to consider moving if these things are that much of a concern.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, It's Tim said:

You may want to consider moving if these things are that much of a concern.

Thanks for the advice there Tim.....you sound fun.

I actually live in a gated luxury apartment complex.....but shi* can happen anywhere, heck....maybe even in your neighborhood to. I own a Plumbing and Heating company and wanted to try a dash cam on my new personal truck before installing them on the fleet. But thanks for your deep concern for my safety bub.

• Like 5

I would not recommend the GM.  You want 4k (8mp) .. 

Now, the Viofo A129 Pro has a great picture but the rear cam messes with your TPMS.  So, it's only good for the front.  

For that reason, I'd recommend the Blackvue DR900X if you need front and rear.  If you can live without the rear, the Viofo is a damned great camera for the buck.  

Edited by Rob Mugs

4 hours ago, Rob Mugs said:

Now, the Viofo A129 Pro has a great picture but the rear cam messes with your TPMS.  So, it's only good for the front.  

For that reason, I'd recommend the Blackvue DR900X if you need front and rear.  If you can live without the rear, the Viofo is a damned great camera for the buck.  

Thank you sir.....I appreciate the recommendation.

But according to It's Tim.....if we need dash cam we should just relocate....lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Liquid Plumber AT4 said:

Thanks for the advice there Tim.....you sound fun.

I actually live in a gated luxury apartment complex.....but shi* can happen anywhere, heck....maybe even in your neighborhood to. I own a Plumbing and Heating company and wanted to try a dash cam on my new personal truck before installing them on the fleet. But thanks for your deep concern for my safety bub.

Great response!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, LamboTexas said:

Great response!

I was going to suggest a turret with a Barrett Model 82 since it's obvious he lives in a real rough part of town... but decided that might be against his complex's rules.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Rob Mugs said:

I was going to suggest a turret with a Barrett Model 82 since it's obvious he lives in a real rough part of town... but decided that might be against his complex's rules.

Lol! I am on the top 4th floor. That Barrett 82 is savage, I like the Sig Sauer 716. The complex is full of white collar pencil pushers.....very rough crowd. 😁

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Liquid Plumber AT4 said:

Did you get the thinkware standard or premium model??. Looks like on both models it will record while the vehicle is parked and off for vandalism? Does the thinkware kit record the rear to? And last....does it require a wire harness....or is it plug and play? Thank you again.

The kit comes with everything needed for install.  It's a wired setup.  I have the premium that has both front and rear cameras.  It connects to my phone via Bluetooth for downloading videos.  Good quality audio and video.  I got the camera setup when I bought my truck because I knew I was moving to California.

13 hours ago, Liquid Plumber AT4 said:

Lol! I am on the top 4th floor. That Barrett 82 is savage, I like the Sig Sauer 716. The complex is full of white collar pencil pushers.....very rough crowd. 😁

Now we're talking my language.  I'm more of a M2 fan. 

On 8/10/2021 at 1:50 PM, Rob Mugs said:

Thanks again Rob.....just ordered the bkackvue dr900x 2 channel camera. Looks like a great setup. Question, where did you mount your rear camera? And what mounts or accesories did you buy? Also, did you tap into fuse panel with fuse tap kit? I noticed it's a 2 prong fuse tap kit, but my 2021 1500 AT4 has 3 prong fuses, curious on what you did. Thanks again. 

On 8/18/2021 at 4:52 PM, Liquid Plumber AT4 said:

Thanks again Rob.....just ordered the bkackvue dr900x 2 channel camera. Looks like a great setup. Question, where did you mount your rear camera? And what mounts or accesories did you buy? Also, did you tap into fuse panel with fuse tap kit? I noticed it's a 2 prong fuse tap kit, but my 2021 1500 AT4 has 3 prong fuses, curious on what you did. Thanks again. 

Apologize for not seeing this till now.  I am an unfortunate one with a Viofo but I have seen the quality of the Blackvue in person and why I recommended it over the Viofo.  

Everything looks pretty similar.  Adhesive to mount to the windows (make sure you stay OFF the defogger wires) and from their page, looks like nothing additional needed.  You'll need a constant and switched power.  I'm in bed so can't look at which fuses I used but if I recall correctly, I found a couple double blade spots for them.  A bit of searching on here should net you the same results I found