Multipro Audio - 3rd Party DIY?

There used to be someone who made some parts to make one's own version of the tailgate kicker system but that website doesn't seem to work anymore.

Does anyone know if this is still available or if there is an alternative? I'd like to add the audio to my tailgate but for the price, the reviews for the official Kicker system are very underwhelming.

I will tell you the reviews are BS.  I have the kicker system as it came on the truck since it had the carbon pro package. It is loud and the sound is decent considering you are listening to it outside with background noise and a not static environment. I had read the same reviews and was very surprised that anyone would bad mouth it to that level.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LtDan2025 said:

I will tell you the reviews are BS.  I have the kicker system as it came on the truck since it had the carbon pro package. It is loud and the sound is decent considering you are listening to it outside with background noise and a not static environment. I had read the same reviews and was very surprised that anyone would bad mouth it to that level.

I would second this description. Well put. 

• Thanks 1

Opinions do vary on the tailgate speakers...

My honest assessment is that if this setup was $300ish, I’d be pretty happy with it.  For $800 (or even the $650 you can find it online for), no way I’d ever buy it if I had the choice.  My truck came with it - hated paying for it, but truck was what I wanted other than that.  It’s a neat feature, have used it a couple of times while working in the driveway, etc... but definitely not worth anywhere near what I paid.

Buy a couple of a couple of UE Booms or Megabooms, and you’ll have better sound quality with at least as much volume for WAY less $, and you can use ‘em anywhere - only “downside” is not being mounted in the tailgate.  I have two UE Booms (not Megabooms) I received as gifts, and using one alone sounds better than the Kicker system.

I have found that by playing with my iPhone equalizer settings I can get the OEM kicker system to sound good. Not great but good.

As @LtDan2025 said, I wouldn't have paid list price for it but it came standard as part of the CarbonPro package.

edit: I have only used the kicker system via Bluetooth. Maybe directly connecting a music source via the USB port might sound better. There is usually some audio quality loss when using BT.

Edited by SVG
Added thought

1 hour ago, SVG said:

I have found that by playing with my iPhone equalizer settings I can get the OEM kicker system to sound good. Not great but good.

Very good point!  I honestly didn’t try that.  I am gonna go play with it right now (taking a lunch break, working from home), and will edit my post accordingly if warranted.

EDIT - OK, just messed with it and tried all the various EQ settings - slight improvement on a couple of the settings, but EQ turned OFF was better than most of them.  It not enough improvement for me to change my “review” & advice above.

Edited by RCF71