2022 Trans temp...

Hi all I finally got my 2022 2500HD it has less then 1000 miles on it. As I was scrolling through the dash monitor I noticed that the trans temp was @ 170 F. To me this seemed kind of hi because I was not towing or going up a steep hill. I did just get off the hi way though doing 80 mph and then 40 mph. Any thoughts?

HDHP

• 1 month later...

Mines a 1500 with the 10 speed.

180 - 185 seems to be it's target temperature.

Needs to run 15 or 20 miles +/- before it reaches that temp -- but that is consistently where it goes. 

I certainly wouldn't be concerned about 170F

On 11/25/2021 at 1:53 PM, newdude said:

The HDs have a thermostat just like the 1500s, designed to get the trans to GM's "ideal" operating temperature before being allowed to hit the cooler to then maintain temperature.  

Diesel too or just the GM 6 speed?

My 5 and 6 speed allisons always seemed to run xy degrees over ambient. 

• 4 months later...
54 minutes ago, JJ3 said:

I have the 2022 2500 6.6 gas with the six speed.  I was towing my trailer and my  trans temp was 210. It was the trucks first tow it seems high to me. Is this normal ? 

210* is okay.  Fresh transmission fluid is good to 235*F, where it will start to degrade. 

On 11/27/2021 at 1:28 AM, redwngr said:

Diesel too or just the GM 6 speed?

My 5 and 6 speed allisons always seemed to run xy degrees over ambient. 

Gas and diesel.  Gas got it 2020, Diesels got it 2017 with the L5P.  17-19 L5Ps, the thermostat is up near the radiator instead of by the trans.

Not sure what temp the L5P stat opens full, but the L8T gas was 194F for 2020 to March 2021, and then GM lowered it to 158F.  The 2020-march 2021 trucks are under that 21-NA-199 bulletin for the new low temp one as well.    

Edited by newdude
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, JJ3 said:

I have the 2022 2500 6.6 gas with the six speed.  I was towing my trailer and my  trans temp was 210. It was the trucks first tow it seems high to me. Is this normal ? 

Normal for towing.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, newdude said:

Gas and diesel.  Gas got it 2020, Diesels got it 2017 with the L5P.  17-19 L5Ps, the thermostat is up near the radiator instead of by the trans.

Not sure what temp the L5P stat opens full, but the L8T gas was 194F for 2020 to March 2021, and then GM lowered it to 158F.  The 2020-march 2021 trucks are under that 21-NA-199 bulletin for the new low temp one as well.    

So this bulletin applies to the 6L90 in the HDs as well?

I couldn't find info confirming this, only the 6l80.  I have a March 21 2500HD and the trans seems to settle in the 190s most of the time.  I do spend almost 50% of my miles towing 10k travel trailer.  Want to save the tranny.

Where can I find this valve to look for the "70" stamp?

Thanks all

On 4/9/2022 at 3:00 PM, Wxman said:

So this bulletin applies to the 6L90 in the HDs as well?

I couldn't find info confirming this, only the 6l80.  I have a March 21 2500HD and the trans seems to settle in the 190s most of the time.  I do spend almost 50% of my miles towing 10k travel trailer.  Want to save the tranny.

Where can I find this valve to look for the "70" stamp?

Thanks all

Yes, 21-NA-199 covers 6L80 and 6L90.  

Valve is right on the side of the trans.  Stamp is on the bottom. 

To be more specific on the March deal, March 20th was the breakpoint specifically.  

• Like 2

Thanks.  Didn't make that cut.  Maybe I can get dealer to do the 'upgrade' and change the fluid/filter with supplies I already purchased in anticipation of doing it myself.  Always liked to do the first one early and get all the break in material cleaned out.

Thanks again for the info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey all.  Based on my VIN gmparts direct suggests 85547828 instead of 86774933.  I am asking them to confirm the '828' part is 158F valve.  Anyone have insight on this?  Local dealer was blank stares when I started asking questions about the TSB and TBV temp change.

Thanks

On 4/14/2022 at 1:54 PM, Wxman said:

Hey all.  Based on my VIN gmparts direct suggests 85547828 instead of 86774933.  I am asking them to confirm the '828' part is 158F valve.  Anyone have insight on this?  Local dealer was blank stares when I started asking questions about the TSB and TBV temp change.

Thanks

Print the TSB out and bring it to them. They will source all the parts. Alternatively, find another dealer or bring it to a Chevrolet dealer if yours won't deal.