2022 Trans temp...

On 4/14/2022 at 4:54 PM, Wxman said:

Hey all.  Based on my VIN gmparts direct suggests 85547828 instead of 86774933.  I am asking them to confirm the '828' part is 158F valve.  Anyone have insight on this?  Local dealer was blank stares when I started asking questions about the TSB and TBV temp change.

Thanks

7828 is correct for 2500, 4933 is for 1500 2016-19LD.

Got it now, thanks.

Finally found a copy of the Dec TSB with all part numbers.  GM Parts Direct was apparently incorrect when they told me the 7828 valve would be the same as original for my VIN.  That doesn't agree with TSB and my valve does not have any '70' markings.

Thanks all.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow up to close this out.  I ended up having dealer do the TSB and went ahead with a fluid/filter change as well.  Always like to do the first one early anyway.

Dealer had no problem doing the TSB - (After I showed them a printout and a little discussion with the advisor.)  Ordered the parts ahead of time so they would be ready for the appointment.

Looks like the work went well, new valve has the '70'.  It was the 85547828 part number.  Temp looks like it is running 25-30 degrees cooler running around empty, 150-155 ish vs 180 ish.  Haven't towed yet to see if it runs cooler under load as well.  Happy with all that even though appointment was a nightmare.

Appointment to drop off on Tues.  Dropped off at 0715.  Called at 1600 to check as my ride needed to leave.  Hadn't been looked at yet.  "Hopefully in the morning".

Got a call about 1400 Wed, "You are next in line, but I didn't realize it was a Duramax when we checked it in."

?????Convinced advisor it was gas and they could proceed.????  Still didn't make the cut to get worked on Wed.

Finally at lunch time Thurs the work was completed.  And they wonder why I don't let them do oil changes, etc.

Ridiculous!  Happens I was working at home this week and I wanted this work complete before leaving on a camping trip Fri.  Still, probably won't be darkening their service door again.

12 hours ago, Wxman said:

Just a follow up to close this out.  I ended up having dealer do the TSB and went ahead with a fluid/filter change as well.  Always like to do the first one early anyway.

Dealer had no problem doing the TSB - (After I showed them a printout and a little discussion with the advisor.)  Ordered the parts ahead of time so they would be ready for the appointment.

Looks like the work went well, new valve has the '70'.  It was the 85547828 part number.  Temp looks like it is running 25-30 degrees cooler running around empty, 150-155 ish vs 180 ish.  Haven't towed yet to see if it runs cooler under load as well.  Happy with all that even though appointment was a nightmare.

Appointment to drop off on Tues.  Dropped off at 0715.  Called at 1600 to check as my ride needed to leave.  Hadn't been looked at yet.  "Hopefully in the morning".

Got a call about 1400 Wed, "You are next in line, but I didn't realize it was a Duramax when we checked it in."

?????Convinced advisor it was gas and they could proceed.????  Still didn't make the cut to get worked on Wed.

Finally at lunch time Thurs the work was completed.  And they wonder why I don't let them do oil changes, etc.

Ridiculous!  Happens I was working at home this week and I wanted this work complete before leaving on a camping trip Fri.  Still, probably won't be darkening their service door again.

Glad you got it take care of.  The town where I used to live is small and that dealer always took care of me.  I moved to a larger city and the dealer here is no where the same in customer  care.  So I took my truck back to the dealer where I used to live. It is only an hour and half up the road.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a hard slow pull through a tight winding mountain road with a 5th wheel travel trailer that weighs 14,600lbs (scaled weight).  Max trans temp was 232*F.   I've learned the fluid heats up faster than it cools.  But was impressed that the temperature stopped climbing at 232*F, even though the mountain climb continued for a mile or more.  This was repeated several times over the trip.  Engine temp never went above 210*F.  

This was as difficult a pull as I'd ever want to do.  Speeds rarely went over 30mph with a lot of 15-20mph travel, so there wasn't much air flow over the coolers other than what the fan could draw.  There was also a lot of heat coming off the asphalt. 

Overall, I'm happy with the results, and the confidence.

My truck was built Feb '22, so probably the latest updates are included.