Oil Sample with Blackstone Labs?

Anyone using the oil sampling service from Blackstone Labs?  Thinking of ordering a kit and sending an oil sample for examination.  I would rather get a sample through my dipstick tube, but I have yet to find anything that will work for that.  Any ideas?  If so, send me a link.

• Confused 1

I've used them in the past, they do good work and I trust their results.

Not sure what you need to use to get it through the dipstick tube. It will need to be a really small hose to make it's way all the way down to the oil.

Yep, I've used Blackstone some. Also have used whatever service that WIX kits use. Only thing I know to try is to go to Lowes or Home Depot or local hardware store and see what kind of tubing they have to choose from. You need something small enough to go through the tube but have some stiffness to push through the tube

Edited by txab
sp

AMSOIL sells a tool for that BUT don't know if bottles other than theirs fit and it comes with 10 ft of hose, no bottle w/tool, that comes with the kits they sell.   And no, they do not do the testing, it done by Polaris labs, an independent lab.. 

spacer.png

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 1

I have used Blackstone for analysis many times before when I had an Ecodiesel. I like the way the kind of dumb down the report for us non technical users. 

I used 1/4" water line PCV tube from home depot to stick down my dip stick tube. I assume it will work with this truck too. It takes a few rounds of dipping,  putting your finger over the end and pulling it out, letting it run into their bottle to get it full. Not bad.

Unless you have a specific reason to get it sampled I'm not sure I'd waste money on these engines. The few issues they have wont show up on an OA.

Blackstone will give you basic wear and additive PPM data but you need GC fuels reading, KF water reading, and a full battery of FTIR data so the info can be interpreted properly for your application. Well done oil analysis with modern battery of tests interpreted by an experience analyst CAN ID most issues with modern engines.  Their centrifuged pentane insolubles is a good reading but not as good as FTIR data.  Combustion dynamic or gaseous cylinder/head/valve-train and piston interface is what you must read to find problems BEFORE they trash your engine. 

GC fuels because flash testing is not good enough for polymer rich fuels additives chemistries. 

Karl Fischer coulometric water titration because fuels additives specifically aldehydes, amines, and phenolics will build in fuel diluted oil.  These are also oil additives etc and the analyst must divine that. 

I retired from 42 years of chem engineering focused on fuel and lubes formulating and engine transmission and gearbox R&D.  

I will help here as I can but if you get weak data its better not to sample.  Bklabs folks are great but they NEED those additional tests for modern engines or you are guessing. 

1/4 OD CLEAN tubing and depends on the dipstick slide guide whether you can access the oil, its amazing how many engines of same type have different slides attached. 

I wish I was not retired or had to be.......there is a need for real science for the consumer.  

Edited by customboss
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, elcamino said:

AMSOIL sells a tool for that BUT don't know if bottles other than theirs fit and it comes with 10 ft of hose, no bottle w/tool, that comes with the kits they sell.   And no, they do not do the testing, it done by Polaris labs, an independent lab.. 

spacer.png

The Blackstone pumps are identical to the Amsoil unit, just different stickers.

I found that the 1/4" tubing is too large for my 21 6.2 dip stick tube, called Blackstone about this and they sent some 1/8" tubing, works fine now.

• Like 2

I've use Blackstone Labs but prefer Oil Analyzers.    You can get the UOA kits on AMSOIL's site like stated above.   Also the suction pump and tubing.  I tried to put the tubing down my 2019's dipstick and it would not go.  I didn't want to try to hard and have a piece of plastic break off.  So I just use my Fumoto Valve I installed on my oil pan.

Edited by Black02Silverado
grammer
  • Like 1