For You Electric Vehicle Fans

diyer2

I may be wrong.

But my experience with charging batteries comes from owning an off grid home for 20 years. We have sold it but fast battery charges aren't good for the life of a battery. It causes heat due to the internal resistance in a battery, not good. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I was once very interested in Hybrids and came very close to owning a beautiful red Hybrid Sierra in '09.  The problem is this technology tends to also offer the downsides of both gas and electric and reduces the impact of either as a dedicated "fuel" source.  I was only willing to go hybrid up until recently but the popularity of EV's in my area are proving my fears to be unfounded.  The speed of rapid charging is something all EV manufacturers strive to improve.  I see a coffee and pee break in the time it takes for my truck receives an 80% charge. (I can't drive more than 300 miles without either anyway!)  The 100% charging can take place at home or my hotel/motel.  I know once I switch to an EV, habits and routines will be forced to change.  This may be even harder than when I first had to self serve at the gas pump and check my own oil!

Illinois has a unique electricity generation mix. As of March 2019, the state's net electricity generation by source was 7% natural gas, 30% coal-fired, 54% nuclear (most in the nation) and 10% renewables. Of that last 10% 94% is wind, the remainder solar and 1 small hydro plant. Zero viable geothermal. 4 of the 6 nuclear plants will be 'dated' out in a decade or so and 2 more are on life support. Meaning they survive on state paid subsidies and threaten to shut down the power grid ever few years. Blackmailing the taxpayers and state government. A nice way of saying the taxpayers pay the refueling cost via taxes and then pay for the power it generates billed monthly. By 2047 ALL nuclear power will date out in this state. Shut down 37% more closing natural gas and coal and winters are going to get really cold in this state. Where is this all electric vehicle grid going to come from? 

As it stands this 'push' is selling powdered lemonade in a desert. 

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

I may be wrong.

But my experience with charging batteries comes from owning an off grid home for 20 years. We have sold it but fast battery charges aren't good for the life of a battery. It causes heat due to the internal resistance in a battery, not good. 

And I find it hard to imagine many people will spend 20 grand to replace the battery in their 10 year old planned-obsolescencemobile.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What is the electricity mix in Colorado?

In 2019, Colorado had a total summer capacity of 16,592 MW through all of its power plants, and a net generation of 56,338 GWh. The corresponding electrical energy generation mix was 44.8% coal, 30.3% natural gas, 19.2% wind, 3.2% hydroelectric, 2.2% solar, and 0.3% biomass.

What's left after cutting out coal, natural gas and biomass? About 25%. Another winner. How about the USA? Well look a fossil gas will ya!

Energy in the United States - Wikipedia

I moved here a little over a year ago so not sure. I know my electric cooperative is mostly nat gas now with some wind.

One coal plant remaining and I am all electric.  Use ETS main heater then wall resistance heaters to back it up. I am on an off peak plan that cuts my costs significantly per KWH.   14.9 cents/per KWH on peak, first 1000 kwhs @ 7.6 cents/per KWH then 6.2 cents/per kwh. 

Our winds yesterday here were pushing 55 mph gusts.  I have a Honda EU 7000 is generator to back me up if needed.  

When the VA helped me get this house I wanted to go solar but was talked out of it for now by solar and electric company EMPOWER folks. Sun here at 9000' is amazingly powerful and prevalent  year round.  Battery technology just not good enough yet.  

Being surprised about the energy mix is not a surprise to me. You and I made good livings off crappy ass petroleum products that could be pumped cheap and refined cheap and sold on a good profit.  The transition to smarter feeds is going to take time and entrenched interests will not let go easily. 

In 1976 I sold SOLAR ELECTRIC heating units as a part time gig and if we had continued pushing that with better R&D then we wouldn't be wondering why batteries are not up to snuff now.  

This is NOT MY AREA of expertise ( disclaimer for those more sensitive about posts here)  🙄

• Haha 1

Here's our fundamental issue in US,  leaving aside the inability to agree on facts and truth. 

For those of us here that are born after 1985 ish  you've never had a real pension, you have been hamstrung economically but side with those who enslave you, believe everything is variable in fact and opinion based, believe that the US GOV isn't you/us.   R&D matters or you end up with only that which makes a quick $$.   Energy is a key part of that play. 

unnamed.png

I don't care how much R&D is done. Everything has a limit and batteries do to. So IMO they will never be capable of lasting for long distances. Unless the world is going to slow down, it won't work for the trucking, delivery like USPS, UPS and FedEx. That's just an example. City dwellers, short commutes I get it. Replacing batteries another hurdle. 

Maybe to early and I agree more research. To much muddy water and BS. The sheep of the world are lead to the trough.

In a way I'm glad I'm on my way out because the changes coming may not be acceptable. That's not just the EV. 

I still like my V8. Our 4 cylinder 8 speed gas car. I can drive, tow for hours. 

Maybe the technology in the future will improve along with the infrastructure to make it work. For now I will not be a test pilot for them. 

5 hours ago, diyer2 said:

I don't care how much R&D is done.

I think his point was "not much". (the link was out of service so maybe I missed something). 

Research these days is stealing another's idea. Consumer surveys. Likes on a Facebook page or forum feed. Not how can I make it better but............what can I get away with that makes the most money and gives the least legal exposure? How can I leverage this politically? Can I manipulate the market?  

A smarter fella than me told me once, "Never be the first to the party nor the last to leave".

I've used that to dodge more bad investment advice than one can imagine. You get the best view of someone or something watching them leave 😉.

Presently this is a stampede. Things die in stampedes. 

No one learned anything during the housing bubble? 

I'll treat this one like Crypto Currency.

Hard Pass.....for now.

Why is there a "stampede"?  I don't feel pressured by peers or politics but I am excited about the technology, the flexibility of fuel supply and the potential for cleaner air.  I research battery degradation and fires then I get back to the stampede.    I went to look at the Ford Mach E and the Chevy Bolt while the dealerships were closed yesterday.  The redesigned Bolt is selling as fast as they arrive.   Today, I'm talking to a VW dealership about the ID.4.   I enjoy talking to EV owners at local charging stations.  They are quick to give me a list of pros and cons.  I've yet to hear someone express regret or that they will ever go back to gas.      FWIW  Don't use a high birthday candle count to dismiss change because this can backfire.  (if you're lucky).  My Aunt & Uncle splurged on their final car circa 1990.  My Aunt is now shy of 98 candles and still driving the Chrysler New Yorker regularly!

8 hours ago, Donstar said:

Why is there a "stampede"?  I don't feel pressured by peers or politics but I am excited about the technology, the flexibility of fuel supply and the potential for cleaner air.  I research battery degradation and fires then I get back to the stampede.    I went to look at the Ford Mach E and the Chevy Bolt while the dealerships were closed yesterday.  The redesigned Bolt is selling as fast as they arrive.   Today, I'm talking to a VW dealership about the ID.4.   I enjoy talking to EV owners at local charging stations.  They are quick to give me a list of pros and cons.  I've yet to hear someone express regret or that they will ever go back to gas.      FWIW  Don't use a high birthday candle count to dismiss change because this can backfire.  (if you're lucky).  My Aunt & Uncle splurged on their final car circa 1990.  My Aunt is now shy of 98 candles and still driving the Chrysler New Yorker regularly!

Was the Chevy Bolt on fire when you saw it, or not yet?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

Was the Chevy Bolt on fire when you saw it, or not yet?

They look a lot better for '22, imo. and hopefully they have resolved the fire issue.  I will likely wait for a full-sized  SUV or pickup EV.  So far, the Mach e4 is tempting but not if I have to give up my truck.  I still have to convince Mrs. Donstar that she needs a new car but her 15 year old Yaris is barely broken in according to her. 😉 

• Like 1