For You Electric Vehicle Fans

diyer2

34 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

This does strike me as greed. And/or utter stupidity. Pay to use a fob you already paid for. Not like it’s a phone app or anything. 

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/12/toyota-owners-have-to-pay-8-mo-to-keep-using-their-key-fob-for-remote-start/

Well, there’s vehicles I wouldn’t buy because I don’t like their technology. So I would call that choice. There’s people that will pay for satellite radio. I did when I traveled and listened to nascar radio. Now with Pandora, iHeart I don’t anymore. I still can’t get over Starbucks. Probably if people didn’t pay for it eventually they wouldn’t charge  for it.

Edited by KARNUT
  • Like 1

I don’t mind paying for services that actually offer a service. If you’re using a company’s satellites, towers, servers, etc…you should have to pay for that. This ain’t that. Toyota is attempting to charge you to not lose a feature that was already built into the car. 

Any business is always trying to get into our wallets. People pay for things that they deem are worth it or they want it. I try to avoid things that aren't up to my standards or are just plain stupid . My stupid list would include a lot of stuff people pay for. 

We can beat this to death like all things. Comes down to personal choice, as I have said many times.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Any business is always trying to get into our wallets. People pay for things that they deem are worth it or they want it. I try to avoid things that aren't up to my standards or are just plain stupid . My stupid list would include a lot of stuff people pay for. 

We can beat this to death like all things. Comes down to personal choice, as I have said many times.

Yup just like what Toyota is doing to its customers. If your Toyota comes with remote start on the key fob they are now taking it away and making you pay for it I know OnStar has it on the app and you have to pay but Toyota says the fob comminates with the server is why you have to pay, I call BS New Toyota cars don't include remote starting on key fobs (msn.com)

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/20/2021 at 8:51 PM, OnTheReel said:

There’s a distinct lack of practicing what one is preaching. Both here and on the world stage.

I’m not against cleaner air. But I am against Al Gore and all these other grifters getting rich off their theories while being completely unaffected by their own policies. And I am against making our country miserable and poor while China and India continue to pollute beyond anyone’s comprehension.

If the EV transition is to be made, it needs to be done in a manner that won’t make us into a third world country. That means taking it slow. Allow the technology and the grid to catch up to our demands. Let people make their own decision to adopt EVs when they are a compelling alternative without government subsidy or coercion. 

Jamming gas prices up right now to force working class people onto the bus or into an EV is idiotic and frankly evil. Some of these people can’t afford much more than a $2,000 car. What’s the cheapest EV on Autotrader right now? 30 grand? If they can’t swing that, they should lose their independence and just ride the bus? What about rims for Toyota Tacoma? Does quality of life and freedom not mean anything to anyone?

The issue to EV ownership has me contemplating fuel-fired heaters as well as methods to extract some heat off an Range Extender when it's running instead of dump it outside. Theoretically, it's feasible with another heating exchanger (and lines and pumps evidently) to connect to the HVAC cooler circuit and the REx circuit for coolant.

Utilizing fossil fuels to move things around isn't particularly efficient. Utilizing fossil fuels to heating is highly efficient. The use of electricity to move objects is extremely efficient. From an space/weight/"what else can we be doing with this" the use of electricity to heat isn't the most efficient.

If you think your heating unit going to consume 2000W per day after the car has been brought at a temperature that is acceptable and a little more during a cold winter day it's about 6-8 miles of range loss per hour that you drive your car, and you'll will end up with an unhappy and irritated girlfriend in the back seat, due to a huge variation in the range of keeping the car at 64 ° and keeping the temperature at 70 degrees.

Had to go to Denver VA yesterday 3+ hours drive and pulled into a KUM and GO ( gotta love that brand name) to refuel since there was nothing better up there and saw this new station had EV recharging too!  

UK but its here too

https://www.autoweek.com/news/green-cars/a38802959/shell-ev-charging-station-uk/

1 hour ago, customboss said:

Had to go to Denver VA yesterday 3+ hours drive and pulled into a KUM and GO ( gotta love that brand name) to refuel since there was nothing better up there and saw this new station had EV recharging too!  

UK but its here too

https://www.autoweek.com/news/green-cars/a38802959/shell-ev-charging-station-uk/

The Sheetz stations around here are installing Tesla Superchargers.  The one in Goldsboro has a slot of 7.  Smart for them to do this since one can pull in, charge and get something to eat as well.  For those not familiar with Sheetz you can click here to find out.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

GM fleet sales going EV. Did they get their design from Honda Ridgeline bred to a Avalanche? Does anyone have total weight?  I was told by my Chebby Service MGR that the EV weight is less than the current IC engine 4WD versions. Not sure I buy that. Batteries are heavy. 

959398832_ScreenShot2022-02-09at07_32_33.thumb.png.646aaf9b228b52902ce62dff124a4daa.png