USB gremlins and "SD Card Error: SD Card has been removed"

The problem: For the last year or more I have had gremlins connecting my android phone to the Infotainment unit over USB on 2019 GMC SLT 1500. The problem has gotten worse/more repeatable over time. A couple months ago, as I was also approaching my 36k end-of-warranty, the problem became fully repeatable, so I took it to the dealer. Short story is the Dealer tried a few things, now is stumped. A month ago the dealer left it at "reached out to technician at GM, will let you know when we hear back". I'm pretty confident and they have no idea what to do next and I'll never hear back. Would like some community input so I can help the dealer to help me to make my truck 'hand-free' functional.

Reproducible Issue:

• Start truck, plug in Pixel 5 Android phone to USB cable. Message pops up on cluster Driver Info Center "SD Card Error: SD Card has been removed". I dismiss message. Phone tries to connect unsuccessfully multiple times (between once to many times spanning a couple minutes). Eventually phone usually connects, things work normally after that. This happens using any of the truck USB ports, different cables, or different android phones.

Occasional issues I can't reproduce for the dealer:

• Sometimes the phone never connects after too many attempts and gives up, or else throws a second Error Message to dismiss. I must pull over and restart the truck to let it "try again" or sometimes just unplug/replug phone if I want to use phone nav or take hands-free phone calls. No rhyme or reason as to when it works better or worse.
  • Infotainment volume problem. Rarely, Volume goes to zero for all audio (this includes the volume on the FM radio, not just music over BT or USB) OR occasionally volume maximum goes to a really low value. Full volume is actually half or less volume. Must restart the truck to fix. 
  • Rarely Different message in cluster DIC pop-up "SD Card Error: Nav SD Card is not functioning properly"
  • Sometimes a similar SD Card error message pops up on Infotainment screen also
  • Rarely (once a month max) Head unit/Infotainment reboots while driving

Things that I and the dealer have tried:

• Tried different Phone, same results (I used Pixel 3 for many years, and ~ 3months ago upgraded to Pixel 5). Does not happen with dealers Apple phone.
  • Tried many different cables, same results (Currently I am using the phones usbC-usbC OEM cable)
  • Reformatted SD card (by dealer)
  • Replaced SD card (by dealer)
  • Changed out SD card reader in console (dealer; Part 13529862 receptacl 9.650; per doc 5455991)
  • Tried flipping SD card read/write switch as mentioned in a different thread
  • Many versions of androidAuto software (most up to date has always been used)
  • As a note, I've never seen the error message unless instigated by a phone being plugged in.  
  • Doesn't happen with iphones. Also the Dealer techs apparently all own iphones, so they cannot repeat in the shop I have to demo the issue to the guy at the desk each time I go.
  • Headunit software version is v807

Some more background... I believe the "SD Card ejected message" is not really an SD Card problem, but a result of the SD Card Reader (which is connected to the head unit as a USB device) being logically disconnected from the USB hub in the head unit. This also explains the phone connecting/disconnecting to USB. I thinks the root problem is the USB hub that is integrated in the head unit or somewhere in the system is failing. Dealer isn't seeing it as a USB item, just sees the message with "SD Card" and only tackles the SD card and reader/ Dealer also sees that it happens when "my phone" is plugged in although it fails with multiple phones.

Anyone have a diagram or description of what a full replacement of everything USB-related would involve? 
Anyone else seeing the same error msg with Pixels/Android and GMC? If it were a 'Pixel' or Android problem it would expect it to be very common.

I really hate to be fiddling with my phone the first couple miles of every drive, it defeats the hands-free feature.

This is going to be no help at all, but all our vehicles are doing this right now, and the newest one, the '21 Colorado built 2/21 with V808 is doing it.  Nothing seems to fix or relieve it.  I was told buy the service folks that it seems like all cars are doing it more than ever...she said Toyota too is having the problem....its for sure annoying to always get that message and have to clear it all the time, and know that nav doesn't work.  Personally I think its more of a phone issue that causes this GM software to not work correctly.   

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/21/2021 at 9:12 AM, Kachup said:

The problem: For the last year or more I have had gremlins connecting my android phone to the Infotainment unit over USB on 2019 GMC SLT 1500. The problem has gotten worse/more repeatable over time. A couple months ago, as I was also approaching my 36k end-of-warranty, the problem became fully repeatable, so I took it to the dealer. Short story is the Dealer tried a few things, now is stumped. A month ago the dealer left it at "reached out to technician at GM, will let you know when we hear back". I'm pretty confident and they have no idea what to do next and I'll never hear back. Would like some community input so I can help the dealer to help me to make my truck 'hand-free' functional.

Reproducible Issue:

• Start truck, plug in Pixel 5 Android phone to USB cable. Message pops up on cluster Driver Info Center "SD Card Error: SD Card has been removed". I dismiss message. Phone tries to connect unsuccessfully multiple times (between once to many times spanning a couple minutes). Eventually phone usually connects, things work normally after that. This happens using any of the truck USB ports, different cables, or different android phones.

Occasional issues I can't reproduce for the dealer:

• Sometimes the phone never connects after too many attempts and gives up, or else throws a second Error Message to dismiss. I must pull over and restart the truck to let it "try again" or sometimes just unplug/replug phone if I want to use phone nav or take hands-free phone calls. No rhyme or reason as to when it works better or worse.
  • Infotainment volume problem. Rarely, Volume goes to zero for all audio (this includes the volume on the FM radio, not just music over BT or USB) OR occasionally volume maximum goes to a really low value. Full volume is actually half or less volume. Must restart the truck to fix. 
  • Rarely Different message in cluster DIC pop-up "SD Card Error: Nav SD Card is not functioning properly"
  • Sometimes a similar SD Card error message pops up on Infotainment screen also
  • Rarely (once a month max) Head unit/Infotainment reboots while driving

Things that I and the dealer have tried:

• Tried different Phone, same results (I used Pixel 3 for many years, and ~ 3months ago upgraded to Pixel 5). Does not happen with dealers Apple phone.
  • Tried many different cables, same results (Currently I am using the phones usbC-usbC OEM cable)
  • Reformatted SD card (by dealer)
  • Replaced SD card (by dealer)
  • Changed out SD card reader in console (dealer; Part 13529862 receptacl 9.650; per doc 5455991)
  • Tried flipping SD card read/write switch as mentioned in a different thread
  • Many versions of androidAuto software (most up to date has always been used)
  • As a note, I've never seen the error message unless instigated by a phone being plugged in.  
  • Doesn't happen with iphones. Also the Dealer techs apparently all own iphones, so they cannot repeat in the shop I have to demo the issue to the guy at the desk each time I go.
  • Headunit software version is v807

Some more background... I believe the "SD Card ejected message" is not really an SD Card problem, but a result of the SD Card Reader (which is connected to the head unit as a USB device) being logically disconnected from the USB hub in the head unit. This also explains the phone connecting/disconnecting to USB. I thinks the root problem is the USB hub that is integrated in the head unit or somewhere in the system is failing. Dealer isn't seeing it as a USB item, just sees the message with "SD Card" and only tackles the SD card and reader/ Dealer also sees that it happens when "my phone" is plugged in although it fails with multiple phones.

Anyone have a diagram or description of what a full replacement of everything USB-related would involve? 
Anyone else seeing the same error msg with Pixels/Android and GMC? If it were a 'Pixel' or Android problem it would expect it to be very common.

I really hate to be fiddling with my phone the first couple miles of every drive, it defeats the hands-free feature.

I too have had many issues with the SD card in the 2021 3500 AT4 (6.6L DMAX). Card has been replaced multiple times but has not fixed anything. It stands to reason it could be the USB Hub or Harness for sure. This error does not occur on my 2021 Yukon Denali XL (3.0L DMAX).

52 minutes ago, ArrowsmithPML said:

I too have had many issues with the SD card in the 2021 3500 AT4 (6.6L DMAX). Card has been replaced multiple times but has not fixed anything. It stands to reason it could be the USB Hub or Harness for sure. This error does not occur on my 2021 Yukon Denali XL (3.0L DMAX).

Thanks for the reply! I continue to have the same problems, and some additional strange errors that are solved by rebooting the truck. I am now out of warranty so I'm afraid the whole system will eventually take a dump and I'll be on the hook for an expensive fix. But it sounds like there are just a few of us having this problem so it won't get taken seriously by GM. I am starting to look into the Motorola MA1 adapter which which MIGHT help bypass the errors, but they have been sold out.

I upgraded to this truck from a 1999 Ford equipped with non-power everything, no bells, no whistles, no software bugs. I hope this isn't the future of trucks, having to "reboot them" to fix stuff.

• 1 month later...

I have the maps on my SD card.  It would tell me this quite often.  I took to dealer about 2 months  ago.  They flashed the radio firmware to the newest version.  Completely fixed it as well as lots of problems I was having with the backup camera.

• 5 months later...
On 4/19/2022 at 9:13 AM, Ezekiel2517 said:

I have the maps on my SD card.  It would tell me this quite often.  I took to dealer about 2 months  ago.  They flashed the radio firmware to the newest version.  Completely fixed it as well as lots of problems I was having with the backup camera.

Ezekiel, is this still working for you?  I just took my 2021 High Country to the dealer today because i keep getting the "SD Card Error - SD Card Has Been Removed" and my Navigation no longer works.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, fiewmanast said:

C1823a

Have they figured a fix for your High Country? My 2019 AT4 started doing the same thing.

This is certainly not what we like to hear, fiewmanast.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2019 AT4. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: fiewmanast/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit  https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2022 at 4:43 PM, Rick Dur said:

I have a '21 Silverado. SD card error. SD card removed. I was originally able to clear the error by hitting ok check mark. Unable to clear now.

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Rick Dur.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2021 Chevrolet Silverado. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Rick Dur/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• 2 months later...

2019 GMC Sierra AT4

I have been having an issue with the “SD Card Removed” when the card is not removed.  When it goes out, the navigation stops, the phone I have in disconnects.  Causing chaos and can make for an unsafe ride.

I went to a GM dealer about a year ago for the problem.  They updated the software, I paid my $500 and the problem was solved.  Until yesterday.  I got my tires rotated.  And this problem is back.  It’s 4 times in the last 24 hours.

Please help, this extremely frustrating

• 3 weeks later...

2021 Colorado ZR2. At around 18,000 miles this started with me as well. Very similar as Kachup mentions above. Getting a Nav SD Card error code of 0x40000.0x.0x.5079.0x I have a call into the dealership.

update 3/26/23: Dealer stated first step was swap map SD card. They did, same issue post card swap. Next step is to leave with the dealer to do additional troubleshooting.  

PXL_20230318_183449009.jpg

Edited by JJ30022
update

Same issue here on my ‘22 Sierra Limited. The “SD card Removed” warning is on constantly. Dealer service writes said it was a known issue that GM working on and they expecting a fix shortly.  Next time in I will have them write up the issue so that I have documentation in case the fix comes out after my warranty expires. 

• 10 months later...

Took my 2021 Silverado 1500 into the dealer for this problem as my warranty expires this month.  They had the truck over two weeks and had to make several calls to GM before they finally fixed it.  It had the latest software, but they said they had to reflash multiple computers across the vehicle, not just the radio.

Follow up on post above from March 23, 2023. Dealer replaced the SD card and problem went away. 
From some other posts the dealer had to replace the card reader to get the problem to go away. 
Basically the problem centers around the SD card.