Headlight differences

Hi guys,

I know there is a

Halogen

LED

and this "HID LED" which is only available on the "Midnight Edition"

Anyone know what the difference is between standard LED and the HID LED?  Besides the cooling block located behind the headlight assembly?

Working on something for WAMs/AutoSync... more interested in if the wiring is different.  eg, in the Midnight Edition, the headlight assembly controls the DRLs so you can't do things like, leave them on "full bright" when the headlights are engaged.  

I 'think' this might be different on the standard LED package

The "HID" LED is used on LT Midnight, Redline and standard on High Country.

All functions of the lamp are full feature LED.  The low/high beam, the DRL is LED, the turn signal and side marker, all LED.

The piece you are referring to as a "cooling block" that is the LED headlamp control module. 

The standard LED headlamps have LED low/high beam, LED DRL but the signal and markers are incandescent bulbs.  No driver module either.  

GM/Chev calls them  'High Intensity LED' for the High Country and Midnight Express (rather than HiD LED) 

These are listed from 2020 guide or 2020, but probably the same availability in '19.

Headlamps, halogen reflector with halogen Daytime Running Lamps    S       S       S       --       --       --       --       --   

-- WT, Custom and Custom TB

Headlamps, LED reflector with LED signature Daytime Running Lamps    --       --       --       S       S              S       --   

-- LT, RST, LT TB, LTZ

Headlamps, LED reflector (high intensity) with LED signature curtain Daytime Running Lamps
-- Std on HC: on LT TB they are included and only available with (WJP) Midnight Edition.

On 12/7/2021 at 9:19 PM, redwngr said:

GM/Chev calls them  'High Intensity LED' for the High Country and Midnight Express (rather than HiD LED) 

These are listed from 2020 guide or 2020, but probably the same availability in '19.

Headlamps, halogen reflector with halogen Daytime Running Lamps    S       S       S       --       --       --       --       --   

-- WT, Custom and Custom TB

Headlamps, LED reflector with LED signature Daytime Running Lamps    --       --       --       S       S              S       --   

-- LT, RST, LT TB, LTZ

Headlamps, LED reflector (high intensity) with LED signature curtain Daytime Running Lamps
-- Std on HC: on LT TB they are included and only available with (WJP) Midnight Edition.

One day in the very near future every car will have LED and these lights "option" will be a distant thing. Every manufacturer is guilty of this .  Especially the ones still making halogen.  My wifes 2021 Yukon needed some work and the only rental they had was at enterprise and it was a 2021 BMW X1 . Window sticker inside said 38k and the damn thing came with halogen lights .  SMH 

Imho, it's not the technology used to create the light.

It's the amount of light that is produced, which is measured in lumens AND the pattern of dispersion of those lumens.

I'd gladly return to the light level and dispersion pattern of a 2011 Sierra....iirc, both high and low beam were halogen. 

They may not have the styling 'look' of todays light systems, but they were effective. 

If we're keeping score -- the effectiveness of the headlights on 15 and 16 sierra's was pathetic.

Edited by redwngr

A lot of people viewed the return of halogens in the T1s as a step backwards and I don’t disagree. HIDs were standard on even a WT from 2016-2018. Granted, that’s because the 2014-2015 headlights were rated very poorly. But I digress. 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 6:44 PM, redwngr said:

Imho, it's not the technology used to create the light.

It's the amount of light that is produced, which is measured in lumens AND the pattern of dispersion of those lumens.

I'd gladly return to the light level and dispersion pattern of a 2011 Sierra....iirc, both high and low beam were halogen. 

They may not have the styling 'look' of todays light systems, but they were effective. 

If we're keeping score -- the effectiveness of the headlights on 15 and 16 sierra's was pathetic.

If you want truly pathetic headlights I will nominate my 96' Dodge Ram CTD. Every vehicle I've purchased since has always had the top tier headlight package.

I like the LED headlights in my 21' Sierra. Are the as good as my last Audi? No. But the automatic high beams make it work well imo.