Steering Wheel Not Straight After Front End Job and Alignment

I have an '03 Sierra 4X4 Z71, and had a shop replace the Pitman and idler arms, along with my inner and outer tie rods.

I also had my steering box removed to both fix a small leak and "rebuild it", at least that's according to the shop.

The problem now is that the steering wheel isn't just out of alignment, it feels like the trucks WANTS to go to the left. I've driven cars with misaligned steering before, but I feel like this one is fighting me to steer to the left, so I have to actively put pressure on the steering wheel and steer it slightly to the right to make it go straight down the road. And when I let go of the steering wheel, it slightly moves to the left on its on as if it feels more comfortable this way.

The alignment shop told me that everything is within spec, except that my control arm bushings are slightly worn out. The steering WAS straight before I had done the job.

I'm suspecting that it has something to do with the steering box since it was removed, but I can't find much info on my specific problem.

Well, lets see.

Could be a problem with the diff, could be an over or under inflated tire, could be an alignment issue, could be a sticky caliper, or maybe .. Uh.... Bent frame? Taking it back to the shop would be a good place to start. Ask them to double check their work and to test drive the vehicle, which should all be free.

Edited by Supreme Pizza

to replace the pitman arm you have to at least unbolt the box to get clearance for the puller. some guys try to cheat and use heat to get the arm off which may damage the seals and weaken the sector shaft. resealing is usually pretty stralght forward, I don't think the shaft can be installed a tooth off. do you have equal steering wheel revolutions left and right? I agree with redvett, take it back cuz somethings not right with the job they did

There is a little universal joint in the steering line, It is splined to the gear box and splined to the steering shaft coming from your wheel, it sounds to me like these splines were not correctly aligned. IMHE most of the time the vehicle leads to the right due to the crown of the road(for rain drainage) when coming from the alignment shop. That is the work of a lazy alignment person. The engineers that wrote the original specs keep the crown of the road in mind most times. You said your turning the wheel to the right make the wheel correct is more than a lazy alignment person, I think the afore mentioned splines were incorrectly lined up. In any case take it back, you paid them to do it right. Then don't go back or recommend them.

• Thanks 1

I would make sure the wheels are straight forward and than chec the threads on both tie rod ends they should be the same and if not its not aligned correctly, also start engine and turn wheel clock to clock and count turns and divide by 2 and turn from either full left or right and count the steering wheel counts until your half way. The front wheels should be exactly straight forward if not its a tow in problem. My recommendation is let the shop fix the problem.

Yes bring it back to the place you had the alignment and ask them to take a road test with you so they know whats your complaint and they can fix it proper, Yes you made need to replace the control arm bushings, but I cant believe they set the alignment to spec with control arm bushing they say are worn? Why , if they are bad replace them, also might be a better idea to replace the complete upper control arm because they come with new bushings and new upper ball joint, might be the most cost effective labor saving way to do. I would not do a alignment on any car with worn parts? You will never get the toe set properly to stay set while going down the road? The first 2 steps in any alignment is road test and check for worn/loose parts, then replace parts and set tire psi and then perform a alignment. Dont do a alignment and tell someone they have bad control arm bushings? Thats crazy? 

From experience ! ------ any time the steering wheel is not level something is wrong.  And they did it.  This will likely result in some head-butting with them.  All alignment people are NOT the same.  With this issue anything could be the cause.  As much as I hate to say this, taking it to a GOOD dealer may end up needed to fix this.  But, it should be a GOOD one --- somebody you know and trust at one.  If you don't know, get references from others.