I am thinking about buying the silverado ZR2 , but i am worried about the 6.2 reliability how reliable is it ? I read alot about it some people say its invincible and some say its not , anyone have experience with it ? I only tried the vortecs 4.8,5.3,6.0 those are reliable as hell never had issues with them but with all the lifter failure i am hearing about should i be worried ?

Love my 6.2 and get the same mileage as the 5.3 I had, just cost more to fill up as I run high test only.  The lifter issues were on both the 5.3 and 6.2, I would hope they have it worked out by now as it was supposed to be only builds thru March 21. Lots of information here about it.

• Like 1

Nearly 2-years and 20,500 miles and I contnue to be happy with my 6.2! 

No problems (other than the rear wondow leak..resolved), great peformance, reasonable mpg's and overall solid build, I'm well satisfied!

• Like 1

Over 3 years, 33,000 miles and zero issues with my 6.2, I love it, no regrets and if something happened to the truck that required me buying a new one I'd buy the 6.2 again in a heartbeat! 

• Like 2

Had a 2018 GMC 6.2L with 8 Speed old AFM never had issues. Had 35k on it when sold it. Got excellent mileage.  Averaged 23 mpgs all day long running 70 mph to work.  Only reason I got rid of it was because of the 1 to 2 jerky/clunk shifting of the transmission.  Never felt right driving in town. On highway is was smooth. 

Have a 2019 High Country 6.2L with 10 Speed. Best truck I've owned except gas mileage isn't close to my Sierra. But I love the extra room of T1's over K2 body style. The 10 speed is a game changer.  

I too have thought about a ZR2.  Awesome looking truck, I just feel for the price of $72K fully loaded, GM needed to offer more power, bigger wheel options, and a panoramic sunroof for that price. 

2018 6.2 crew cab standard bed SLT. Excellent engine. 8L90 has been fine for me except cold shifting is a bit clunky and lurches until warmed up then it shifts excellent. I prob have the hydroscopic trans fluid still but i'm in dry AZ and its only got 18k miles on it so will attempt to flush myself at 30k miles. Friends and I notice the not smooth idle of the 6.2 but its totally normal. Towed 7klbs from 1k ft elevation to 7k ft and no issues going 70 mph up long grades. Premium gas is the downside especially in my area where its at least 40 - 60 cents more than regular. Still I'd choose the 6.2 again. Only other motor I would consider is the 3.0 I6 Duramax since it has all the torque of the 6.2 at a nice low rpm with excellent mpg but downside is 2/3 the hp of the 6.2.

Of course the 5.3 is a good engine as well but for the small premium upcharge go for the 6.2 if its available in the truck you want.

L86 6.2L EcoTec3 Engine Specs: Performance, Bore & Stroke, Cylinder Heads, Cam Specs & More - OnAllCylinders

Edited by 2018GMC

They say that the lifter problem was isolated to a bad batch back in early 2021.  The previous trucks used the same lifters I think and they didn't have nearly as many problems as the recent 6.2L's have had.  It's a great engine, and GM is fixing them when they go bad, even after warranty in some cases.  I wouldn't worry about it and buy what makes you happy.

8 speed is now only used on the 2.7L T engine.

3.0, 5.3 and 6.2 all use the 10 speed. 

MQE    Transmission, 8-speed automatic, electronically controlled with overdrive and tow/haul mode. Includes Cruise Grade Braking and Powertrain Grade Braking
1 -  Included and only available with (L3B) 2.7L Turbo engine.