Second 6l80 trans died today

22 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

So changing the fluid more frequently in a 6L80E will help?

Most certainly wont hurt.

Most people do a pan exchange every 10/20k miles.

I took a sample, sent it in to Blackstone. Result came back pretty decent so I do a 5 to 6 quarts pan fluid exchange every 10k.

On 3/7/2022 at 11:02 PM, 2015 High Miler said:

I'm on my second GM transmission.  The first one died at 122,000 and the second has died at 225,000.

Did you ever "flip the pill"?  The thermostat kills these things, it's too high.  GM has recently released a lower temp unit or you can "flip the pill".

From now on run the severe service schedule, changing the fluid every 40K miles give or take.

Edited by swathdiver

Just curious as to how often the fluid was changed?  Since GM came out with their lower temp thermostat, it pretty much indicates that the running temperature was/is the problem and anyone with one of these transmissions would benefit to install it or flip the pill.

I just towed a 3klb boat 2.5 hours down the interstate and some country roads with my 2019 and the 10sp and the transmission never got above 150°F.

Like stated above, GM has changed the fluid chemistry to try and fix issues.  A high quality synthetic can make a difference.  I believe my 4L60 in my 2002 held up so well in over 200k miles is because I switched it out to AMSOIL within 5k miles of owning it from new.  It seen a ton of towing and hauling in those miles.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 11:13 PM, 2015 High Miler said:

I was fortunate. It was a goodwill gesture from the dealer to get it covered. 

Glad to hear some dealerships out there still do this type of stuff

how is the repair going?

i just bought a 2992 LTD LTZ with the 5.3 engine, I plan on keeping it for the next 6-7 years and hope the engine and trans  will last me that long. I come from the ford F-150 family who has disappointed me but that’s another story.

14 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

Just curious as to how often the fluid was changed?  Since GM came out with their lower temp thermostat, it pretty much indicates that the running temperature was/is the problem and anyone with one of these transmissions would benefit to install it or flip the pill.

I just towed a 3klb boat 2.5 hours down the interstate and some country roads with my 2019 and the 10sp and the transmission never got above 150°F.

Like stated above, GM has changed the fluid chemistry to try and fix issues.  A high quality synthetic can make a difference.  I believe my 4L60 in my 2002 held up so well in over 200k miles is because I switched it out to AMSOIL within 5k miles of owning it from new.  It seen a ton of towing and hauling in those miles.

I changed it twice in the 100,000 miles since it was swapped. I used AMSOIL on both.  On Monday when I noticed the issue, I checked the fluid. While not bright red like new, it was not burnt smelling like the last one was.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Nestor Romero said:

Glad to hear some dealerships out there still do this type of stuff

how is the repair going?

i just bought a 2992 LTD LTZ with the 5.3 engine, I plan on keeping it for the next 6-7 years and hope the engine and trans  will last me that long. I come from the ford F-150 family who has disappointed me but that’s another story.

I hope to get it back tomorrow or Saturday. It will have quite a few updates and hopefully the last trans repair for quite sometime.    

• Like 1

Trans feels good so far.   The list of issues echos many of the things I’ve read here.  Mostly seem heat related. New setup has not got to 115 yet that I have seen.  Drove it back from the shop over 130 miles, and it never hit 100 but it was 40 out.  

Builder said it’s built to handle 700 HP.  More if it had a hardened input shaft.  Hoping I never have to have it out again….

DCE70F46-4978-4CAA-B637-E532B965EBA3.jpeg

Edited by 2015 High Miler
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 2015 High Miler said:

Trans feels good so far.   The list of issues echos many of the things I’ve read here.  Mostly seem heat related. New setup has not got to 115 yet that I have seen.  Drove it back from the shop and it never hit 100 but it was 40 out.  

Builder said it’s built to handle 700 HP.  More if it had a hardened input shaft.  Hoping I never have to have it out again….

DCE70F46-4978-4CAA-B637-E532B965EBA3.jpeg

What's the name of the shop and how much? I may need one for future reference.

22 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:

What's the name of the shop and how much? I may need one for future reference.

McCoys in Garland. $4200 out the door and replaced the rear main that was leaking as well.  I never noticed it but was told by a couple of techs that it was leaking.  Took 4 days.  Very satisfied at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 2015 High Miler said:

McCoys in Garland. $4200 out the door and replaced the rear main that was leaking as well.  I never noticed it but was told by a couple of techs that it was leaking.  Took 4 days.  Very satisfied at this point. 

Thanks! Sounds like a very good deal. Does it shift better then stock so far?

9 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:

Thanks! Sounds like a very good deal. Does it shift better then stock so far?

For the tune that’s on the truck now, it was no different. Crispier but not really harder.   Tune was already pretty good on the shifts.  He warned me that it would be considerably firmer but it’s good in my opinion.   

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

small update.  New trans is doing well.  I did get an updated tune to reflect the new components and its still working well.  The temps are where I would expect with the cooler and the bypass.  Highest I've seen is 140 in heavy city traffic.  

I do need to get a better tune though, both engine and trans.  I have HP Tuners but I'm not very good at it yet.  

If anyone is in the DFW area that has some experience, Id be happy to meet up and get a look at my tune.