Downsizing for fuel savings.

KARNUT

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

Damn, really? Every member? Size doesn’t mater, it’s the crash test rating. Driving school anyone? 

Yes, every member over the course of many years, multiple accidents, most were not our fault.  Almost all of the little cars were lost to accidents, none of the full size cars or trucks, not even in accidents.

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

I just looked it up Chevy truck 4 star rating, CRV 5. Over all passenger cars are safer than trucks. 

Until the IIHS redid their website, my 2009 truck showed ZERO fatalities after twelve years.  Now it is lumped in with other years of the same or similar vehicle.  Stan, don't deceive yourself, bigger is better.  You stand a much better chance of avoiding an accident in your Avalanche let alone being injured in it compared to those little cars in your driveway.

Edited by swathdiver

17 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

Yes, every member over the course of many years, multiple accidents, most were not our fault.  Almost all of the little cars were lost to accidents, none of the full size cars or trucks, not even in accidents.

Until the IIHS redid their website, my 2009 truck showed ZERO fatalities after twelve years.  Now it is lumped in with other years of the same or similar vehicle.  Stan, don't deceive yourself, bigger is better.  You stand a much better chance of avoiding an accident in your Avalanche let alone being injured in it compared to those little cars in your driveway.

I was in a near miss a few weeks ago. I happen to be in the CRV. I was able to maneuver around it. The Avalanche would have just slid because of the weight unbalance. Just hitting the brakes wouldn’t have cut it.  I’m a truck person I’ve probably spent one million miles behind the wheel. I rather drive one. I’m glad my wife prefers a car there’re easier to drive. It’s a blast driving her Genesis and type R Acura.. I was actually disappointed when my mother in law gave her the CRV when she quit driving. It actually grew on me it’s a well balanced vehicle, a perfect trip vehicle. I’ve been through bad thunderstorms on trips. It stay planted through high winds while high centered vehicles were pulling over. I live in truck county watching the ladies trying to drive big trucks and SUVS is quite amusing. The Avalanche is the only vehicle I bought. The other 3 are my wife’s. She hangs on to them. I’ll never not own a truck. Realistically for comfort, fuel mileage, mid sized front drive SUVS or mid to full sized cars are better cruisers. In my opinion. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saso said:

you want to save on gas vote democrats out of office.

I know we find comfort in a variety of ways but of course gas prices are influenced by many factors.   I pay very high gas prices and vote for leaders based on a diversity of issues. I also have no voting ability in the US.  I am guesstimating that I'm paying $2. more per gallon than I was at this time last year.   However, our monthly gas expense has remained about the same.  We all have some effective and immediate control over how much we pay for gas which I think was the intent of this thread. Dave Ramsey advocates giving every dollar a job.  I now advocate giving every trip in the truck a job.   We keep lists of tasks and needed items on the kitchen counter. We make every trip have an extra job which has served to significantly reduce wasted trips.

i wouldnt trust my life to my Jap-can, it;s a POS  car made of tin foil, but its a step up from a motorcycle. warmer, and ability to carry a ton of gear, .. this Jap-can can out turn any full size car or truck in the city, it's stealthy and doesnt attract attention from thieves.  its more like urban camo where all the gang bangers eyeball me and salivate over my truck. in California.