Downsizing for fuel savings.

KARNUT

Speculation is controlling the market presently. It started with Keystone and progressed with the lefts war on oil. There’s no shortage yet. Fracking is more expensive I’ve been told a barrel of oil needs to be above 60$ a barrel to make it profitable. Permits are the problem here currently. Unless there’s competition the Middle East isn’t going to pump more there’re making a fortune. Locally big oil isn’t going to stick millions in the ground speculating in this unfriendly environment. Our government already pulled and shorten leases to the point there’s no profit. Just look at Keystone permitted blowing and going. Then by executive order stop. Big money lost.  If the president said he was going to back to the way it was prior to his election and pause there for 5 years. Gas would drop like a rock. Stock market would shoot up. Probably change the mid term election. He could tell the global warming people it’s too soon we’re not quite ready. It’s that easy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Getting nervous yet? Anyone thinking about the trickle down effect with fuel going up? Some people are brushing it off as no big deal what’s a couple bucks? I don’t drive much except on trips it 80$ per month for me. How about adjusted electric prices? Food etc. 18 miles a gallon vs 30 is big money now. 

Not at all.  God, not Washington, provides for our needs.  I'm not going to downsize or drastically alter our driving habits because of those Commies.  

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 1:51 PM, KARNUT said:

There’s only one problem with your analysis. The oil was going to go to our refinery’s. As far as being green. Pipelines are greener than trucking. And freeing up trucks to haul groceries. If it was cheaper and more efficient to truck it. There wouldn’t be pipelines.

Going to our refineries and then shipped back to Canada. Would have been great for jobs. 

Don't know who you were referring to about green...

56 minutes ago, shakenfake said:

Going to our refineries and then shipped back to Canada. Would have been great for jobs. 

Don't know who you were referring to about green...

This whole mess is because of the green policy. I didn’t know refinery’s were automated. I thought people worked there. I do know plenty of people who work on pipelines. 

No point in downsizing to something I wouldn't feel safe or comfortable in when Fatty is already paid off.  So I'll stick to my 12-14 mpg instead of downsizing to a sardine can.  If it wasn't for shortages the next few weeks would have been the best time to buy a new pickup.  Definitely not going to pay $100k+ for another dually.

Edited by Chevyguy85

2 minutes ago, Chevyguy85 said:

No point in downsizing to something I wouldn't feel safe or comfortable in when Fatty is already paid off.  So I'll stick to my 12-14 mpg instead of downsizing to a sardine can.  If it wasn't for shortages the next few weeks would have been the best time to buy a new pickup.  Definitely not going to pay $100k+ for another dually.

Not all fuel savers are small, as you know.

1 minute ago, KARNUT said:

Not all fuel savers are small, as you know.

True, but as someone who has only owned pickups and who doesn't even feel comfortable in half tons anymore then everything that could even be considered a fuel saver is a sardine can.  I have problems I know this, but if I want to be dumb and drive an 8100lb vehicle then I'll keep being stupid.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chevyguy85 said:

True, but as someone who has only owned pickups and who doesn't even feel comfortable in half tons anymore then everything that could even be considered a fuel saver is a sardine can.  I have problems I know this, but if I want to be dumb and drive an 8100lb vehicle then I'll keep being stupid.

Doing what you believe in isn’t stupid. 

17 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

This whole mess is because of the green policy. I didn’t know refinery’s were automated. I thought people worked there. I do know plenty of people who work on pipelines. 

People do work at refineries. When I said shipped I believe that they would go back via pipeline.

20 minutes ago, shakenfake said:

People do work at refineries. When I said shipped I believe that they would go back via pipeline.

I’ll check with my brother in law for clarification. I believe refinery’s buy the product. And ship back the finished product first come etc.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 10:10 AM, KARNUT said:

18 miles a gallon vs 30 is big money now. 

I have a unique situation. I work from home so I have no commute on days I spend on the computer. I drive to jobsites all over the state for inspections, so I get mileage reimbursed. I pay for my own fuel. So I've kept a "beater" to use for work trips and when I'm alone. Weekends and driving the kids around, I use the truck. My wife works a couple miles down the road. We chose a house that was close to her office.

My Chrysler 200 v6 gets almost 30 mpg average, So I pocket difference between what I'm reimbursed and what the gas costs me. I usually only buy 1, at most two tanks of gas a month for the truck. This current market isn't going to change anything for me. Wasn't interested in EV's before, still not interested.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, aseibel said:

I have a unique situation. I work from home so I have no commute on days I spend on the computer. I drive to jobsites all over the state for inspections, so I get mileage reimbursed. I pay for my own fuel. So I've kept a "beater" to use for work trips and when I'm alone. Weekends and driving the kids around, I use the truck. My wife works a couple miles down the road. We chose a house that was close to her office.

My Chrysler 200 v6 gets almost 30 mpg average, So I pocket difference between what I'm reimbursed and what the gas costs me. I usually only buy 1, at most two tanks of gas a month for the truck. This current market isn't going to change anything for me. Wasn't interested in EV's before, still not interested.

My wife informed me yesterday that a new credit card she switched to ( she hates paying fees) let’s you pick your cash back. We pay every thing we can through a credit card for protection and cash back. Then pay them monthly. She had pick gas. Savings us 40 cents a gallon. On top of that our Sams club is 5 cents. And our Krogers food store is a percentage of purchase. I usually take my truck to that one. Sometimes a buck a gallon there.

• Like 2

Also I find it rather odd that every single station within a 100 mile radius is the exact same price. I was on the east side, south side and west side of the twin cities today as well as 50 miles south, every single station was the same price. It's like they all got a memo and are sticking to some sort of plan.

It all comes from the same distribution point, they just blend in brand additives to the truck when its loaded and its all the same price.  I always fill up at Murphy (Walmart) and use a WM Capital One Card which earns 2% cash back on fuel.  .

Glad I own my truck free and clear,  couple $100/month in gas I can live with....

Edited by elcamino

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

I’ll check with my brother in law for clarification. I believe refinery’s buy the product. And ship back the finished product first come etc.

That might be true. Maybe I'm double crossing my pipelines with Nat. Gas!

Anyways my main point was that Keystone XL would have done great for jobs and work but the refineries here would be selling back to Canada. I can't remember exactly but it was something along those lines, would have to re-dig into it.