Vin number on new truck orders

Jackson Hyde

I ordered a GMC 2500 At4 6.6 liter gas engine on April 4th 2022. After I got the order number I found out how to get on gmcs website to check on production with the virtual assistant on 4/10. That day I found out my vehicle was already produced however it is now 4/20 and i still do not have a vin number so that my dealership can set up tracking. does anyone know how long it usually takes a finished truck to get its vin number??? accidently posted this on someone elses forum the first time sorry new member to this sorta thing

The chance a vehicle ordered on April 4, 2022 already built is none.  Saturday is the order cutoff date for the week. So a vehicle ordered on April 4, 2022 at the dealer would not even have a chance of being picked up until the following Monday, April 11 so its not possible to even be in the system till April 11th.  

Its get assigned a vin when its being built and once the vehicle is produced and invoiced it becomes available to the dealer.

DOSP - Dealer Order Submission Process

The weekly process consists of 4 stages.

1. Constraints Distribution - Dealers are informed on constraints to review before placing orders.  (A Constraint is a limit placed on specific build configurations.)

2. Dealer Order Submission - Dealers can order on Thursday, Friday or no later than midnight on Saturday. (You can submit orders earlier but you don't know the constraints.)

3. The 4-Pass Process - GM will attempt to place each dealer’s orders on Mondays using a 4-Pass process. (At this point a dealer may get more or less than what they were allocated.)

4. Dealer Review - You can review your placed orders for changes or replacements until Tuesday at 9pm ET. That's when the accepted orders are sent to production control.

Edited by elcamino

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2022 at 10:34 PM, Jackson Hyde said:

Sorry I claimed the order on april 4th the truck was already in process of being built they just attached my name to the order on the 4th but according to gmc its already built just no vin yet for some reason @elcamino

On 4/21/2022 at 10:34 PM, Jackson Hyde said:

Sorry I claimed the order on april 4th the truck was already in process of being built they just attached my name to the order on the 4th but according to gmc its already built just no vin yet for some reason @elcamino

Hey Jackson, I basically just did the same thing. I put my name and deposit on an order the dealer already had in place but doesn't have the VIN yet. When did you get yours? (I'm assuming by now you've gotten the vehicle).