Black Tail Lights

Good Morning everyone,

I am curious as to if GM ever made any black housing tail lamps for the 2019+ Silverados? Coming from the world of Camaros, GM has been at some point making black tail lights for the 6th gens (both original and refreshed). I am long past my fanboy stage of buying aftermarket lights and I am not a fan of light covers. If my only other options are to find some tint film or get them painted I will go that route. 

If anyone has any pictures of their darkened tail lamps or a thread where they are, please share as I was unable to find much info or pictures, even with the google search function for searching specific domains.

Edited by jaxcam02

Above is what I did. Vvivid light smoke. These taillights are not the easiest to wrap. But with some elbow grease, hair dryer, and determination, you can do it yourself. 

Edited by jashaw

37 minutes ago, bdallas said:

Nice!

Was it difficult to wrap?

Not necessarily but I do have some experience screwing with vinyl and paint protection film. It's a dry fit vinyl so your best friend is patience and a heat gun.

• Thanks 1

I had actually tried wrapping my taillights a few months back.

I could not get it to lay flat without any wrinkles around the sunken in area where the reverse lights are.

Having no experience with dry fit vinyl, I didn't know if I was heating it too much or not enough.

I made two failed attempts and threw in the towel. One day when I'm feeling brave, I'll make another attempt.

...Or I'll pay someone.

1 hour ago, bdallas said:

I had actually tried wrapping my taillights a few months back.

I could not get it to lay flat without any wrinkles around the sunken in area where the reverse lights are.

Having no experience with dry fit vinyl, I didn't know if I was heating it too much or not enough.

I made two failed attempts and threw in the towel. One day when I'm feeling brave, I'll make another attempt.

...Or I'll pay someone.

Use this video for some guidance. I modified his steps a little but the concepts were the same.

- unbolted and disconnected the electrical connections then reinserted the taillights onto the bed, basically to make removing the tail lights when I get the first plane adhered well.

- clean the tail light and surrounding area with alcohol.

- prepared the area, used tailgate as supply table basically.

- began applying, used some heat on the entire sheet, started applying on the rear most section of the tail light and squeegeed it down while letting the loose bit just lay casually on the sides of the tail light.

- removed the tail light and did the rest of the stretching, heating and squeegeeing on the tailgate 

- heating, pressing and stretching small sections at a time, cutting relief cuts helps.

- its key to use heat and stretch the vinyl in all directions when pulling across corners to prevent wrinkles.

Outside of that it just takes practice.

Edited by jaxcam02
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...