Warranty vs. Suspension Mods ??

Has anyone experienced, or been denied, warranty repairs after your suspension mods?

I have a 2021 Silverado Regular Cab, 4wd, Long Bed W/T.  .....The tailgate and bed sides are much higher than my 1998 Silverado.  .....Since I bought this as a work truck, it is a P.I.T.A. for loading & unloading anything.    ....Although today's trend is to LIFT the trucks, I want to LOWER mine!

GM warranty states that suspension mods void warranty.    .....I'm concerned if I have non-suspension repairs needed (lifters, electronics, etc) GM could deny warranty repairs.

A local Chevy dealer will sell you a new truck with a lift kit installed.  ....From what I can learn, this is a "grey area" with warranty coverage.

The risk of high-cost repairs if warranty is denied makes me nervous.

I'm wishing I kept my 1998 Silverado!

Dealer who modify suspensions (lift trucks etc) are taking on the responsibility for warranting them.  Other dealers are not likely to want to touch the vehicle unless the customer is paying the bill as they might never collect on warranty work if GM blocks it or the other dealer refuses to honor it.  Buyer beware.

• Thanks 1

We will not deny warranty for such mods unless if what ever you have causes a problem that warranty would cover.  Other words if you have a shock bad and you have have a lift kit that is non GM then that shock would not be warranty.  If you have a radio out or bad lifters your lift kit will not void those repairs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The modification has to be related to the damaged or failed component for the warranty on said item to be denied. For instance, an aftermarket spring or shock will not void the warranty on a radio warranty claim, or powertrain claim such as failed lifters or broken springs.  However, if your CV fails prematurely there is a strong likely hood that the warranty claim would be denied since the addition of springs and shocks adjusted your CV angles, regardless of how minor the angle chance was. 

• Thanks 1

Dealers do not have to ignore the Magnusson Moss Act.  GM has clearly stated what is not covered which makes them in the clear for not covering "alterations"

"What is Not Covered

Routine maintenance

Slight noise, vibrations or other normal characteristics of the vehicle

Damage due to accident, misuse, insufficient maintenance or alteration."

• Thanks 1