HD MY2023 - New Orders / Status

I ordered my '22 2500 HC 4x4 Crew in March, order was accepted by GM in a week and a half. Truck arrived at rail yard distribution center in about 11 weeks. It sat 56 miles away for 4 weeks before it was delivered to dealership. So, about 4 months before I was able to drive it off the lot. It has everything I ordered, except parking sensor alerts, which I hate anyway! They go off near tall grass, ice in the winter, etc... I may trade or sell it when the HD refresh hits, which I expect will happen early to mid '23, depends on how much the body changes.

On 7/25/2022 at 6:20 PM, 2021 HD said:

I ordered mine in Feb 2021 it is now almost Aug. 2022 still no date. I ordered a stripped single cab with no bed. Grab a snicker bar it is going to be awhile.

Probably because it's not a big money truck for them to sell! I think the $70k + trucks get their attention first. Greedy bast*rds!

I ordered a 2022 gmc 2500hd at4 gas in feb 2022 and now finally order has been accepted and my target production week is 7/25..(not sure if they started building  yet)...But im pissed about getting a 2023 because my dealer said they don't think i will qualify for the price protection anymore and thats like a 4k increase from when i ordered and they are also shoving a 3 yr onstar package for $1500 on the 2023s...I'm sure mine was slowed by dealer allocation but this was the only dealer that would except my family discount. 

Edited by michael henney

On 7/31/2022 at 10:22 AM, mtbadbob said:

Probably because it's not a big money truck for them to sell! I think the $70k + trucks get their attention first. Greedy bast*rds!

Probably but I dont blame  them.  If I was business would I allocate resources the very little I have to sell something for 100 bucks or 50 bucks,  only makes sense.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, michael henney said:

I ordered a 2022 gmc 2500hd at4 gas in feb 2022 and now finally order has been accepted and my target production week is 7/25..(not sure if they started building  yet)...But im pissed about getting a 2023 because my dealer said they don't think i will qualify for the price protection anymore and thats like a 4k increase from when i ordered and they are also shoving a 3 yr onstar package for $1500 on the 2023s...I'm sure mine was slowed by dealer allocation but this was the only dealer that would except my family discount. 

Dont feel to bad my 22 that was built a week before production for 23s is getting the 1500 onstar garbage as well.  I was in the same boat at you had an order in for a starting in Jan,  got pushed along and I finally cancelled it in June,  fell into the exact truck i wanted being built July 11th, picking it up Friday a 22, so only had to wait 4 weeks which was crazy.  With that said the 23 would have cost about 4k more for the same truck,  1500 for the onstar and 2500 for the annual price jump.  The price protection is gone at this point,  and that really isnt a thing anyways,  dealers pulling your chain on that one. 

@nards444 @michael henney  wow I have never heard of dealers not accepting employee family discounts, that seems pretty sketchy.  I didnt even know they could chose to opt-out of this discount.

I haven't heard anything from my dealer but did see the '23s are finally showing up on the website, so I redid the build & price to see if anything changed.  I noticed the price hike as well as the $1500 OnStar upcharge, where you can't unselect it to remove the $1500 cost. Seems like total garbage.  In many years and many GM vehicles, I've never once used OnStar so definitely frustrated I now have to pay an excessive amount for it. 

Assuming I will also have no price protection, the additional $4k is probably enough to make me seriously reconsider my purchase. I recently went through a similar situation for a new Polaris SxS, and my dealer honored my original ordered pricing even though 3 price hikes went into place before I took delivery.

1 hour ago, nards444 said:

Dont feel to bad my 22 that was built a week before production for 23s is getting the 1500 onstar garbage as well.  I was in the same boat at you had an order in for a starting in Jan,  got pushed along and I finally cancelled it in June,  fell into the exact truck i wanted being built July 11th, picking it up Friday a 22, so only had to wait 4 weeks which was crazy.  With that said the 23 would have cost about 4k more for the same truck,  1500 for the onstar and 2500 for the annual price jump.  The price protection is gone at this point,  and that really isnt a thing anyways,  dealers pulling your chain on that one. 

My price is set by gm not the dealer...(im using family discount). Most dealers are not excepting them now but a few are... under normal times i would get the discount plus any rebates and dealer discounts.. and price protection is still active but because i have a new build number when it switched to 23 the dealer is not sure if i get it now...

9 hours ago, michael henney said:

My price is set by gm not the dealer...(im using family discount). Most dealers are not excepting them now but a few are... under normal times i would get the discount plus any rebates and dealer discounts.. and price protection is still active but because i have a new build number when it switched to 23 the dealer is not sure if i get it now...

Just fyi I know of two people who have used family discounts just in the last few months; one being a GMC half ton and the other a crossover. Neither with any issue of dealers not accepting. Maybe it’s a regional thing, but glad you found one that does. 

I'm in Chicagoland area and when i placed my order all my local dealers were marking up trucks 5-10k...My mom ordered a yukon in WI and they wanted 5k over msrp but we know someone and got them to take it off wi but they would not take my gms discount. I used this sight for suggestions and and finally after a few i found one that will.

22 hours ago, michael henney said:

I know the price is set by GM,  well sort of.  a dealer pays GM invoice price minus holdback, which in case you didnt know how to get that.  Take 3 % of MSRP,  then minus that from invoice and thats typically what a dealer actually pays for the vehicle minus any special hidden incentives that GM is giving that a dealer typically wont tell or show you.  Of course a dealer is free to sell something for whatever they want.  In the end a dealer is a wholesaler and buys a truck from GM and then sells it to you, and while a dealer is affiliated with GM they are not owned in anyway by GM at least in most cases.  Price protection is bunk again dealer is pulling your chain on that specially when you look at the details of what GM is offering by their price protection

Edited by nards444

22 hours ago, djriv11 said:

@nards444 @michael henney  wow I have never heard of dealers not accepting employee family discounts, that seems pretty sketchy.  I didnt even know they could chose to opt-out of this discount.

I haven't heard anything from my dealer but did see the '23s are finally showing up on the website, so I redid the build & price to see if anything changed.  I noticed the price hike as well as the $1500 OnStar upcharge, where you can't unselect it to remove the $1500 cost. Seems like total garbage.  In many years and many GM vehicles, I've never once used OnStar so definitely frustrated I now have to pay an excessive amount for it. 

Assuming I will also have no price protection, the additional $4k is probably enough to make me seriously reconsider my purchase. I recently went through a similar situation for a new Polaris SxS, and my dealer honored my original ordered pricing even though 3 price hikes went into place before I took delivery.

Yeah its kind of sketchy at times,  dad and family all worked with GM and myself have been using the employee discount for 20 years,  I have heard it all from dealers from they wont take it, to my dad who gives me the discount had to have had to buy a vehicle himself in the last year, to i have to trade in a vehicle to use it.  

Truth is GM is kind of gray on this and really doesn't police it up.  Other reality is some dealers just dont see it a lot and are ignorant.  The other reality is dealers pretty much get MSRP from GM when the discount is used, its a little shy but not by much, so really is good deal to them and is a good business practice.  But if they accept they can not get over MSRP.  The other truth is the friends and family discount is only invoice minus 2% I believe where as the employee discount is invoice minus 8% I believe.  In normal times you can usually negotiate a deal the same or better then the friends and family discount, and that discount is sort of garbage, but right now with no incentives or bargaining it is pretty good.

Most people need to realize there is not huge margins on new vehicles and your not going bargain thousands and thousands off beyond rebates and such.  When coming to a number with a dealer and you are not using the GM discount, set aside incentives as GM typically reimburses the dealer for those.  With that said the starting point for you the buyer is invoice and work down from there,  invoice is not a good deal.  Once you come to the lowest numbers you tack on incentives and rebates.