On 12/30/2022 at 11:50 PM, Texas_Pete said:

My 2022 LTD With 2.7 was consuming almost 3 quarts a oil change with no answers from dealer but I have slowed it way down myself and stopped the AFM from working also in the fuse box under the hood pull the 2 fuses marked AFM1 and AFM2 I believe they are #60 and #67 but anyway no check engine light or stupid AFM and only was a little over half quart low on a 5000 mile oil change 

Neat. I just pulled those two fuses on my 2022 LTD. Went for a drive to the tire shop and back, about 40 minutes round trip. AFM mode was not super noticeable before, but I could tell when it turned on. After removing the two fuses, no CEL, but haven't noticed any difference in how it runs. Will keep an eye on it and report back in a few days.

On 10/18/2022 at 7:28 AM, Texcl2 said:

Honestly I’m more worried about gasoline diluting the oil. These definitely do that and is why I change the oil every 3k-4K. I’ve had a couple Chevy mechanics say most major engine problems were caused by folks following the change engine oil light and not changing the oil at more frequent intervals and these are friends that know I change my own oil so no sales pressure. Now Chevy has had a history of engines that defectively consumed oil like the 5.3’s from 2007 to like 2014. So this should be in the backs of our minds and we shouldn’t discount what others are seeing wholesale. 

I agree with this. 

When I check my oil it has a distinct gasoline odor. 

On 1/3/2023 at 2:00 PM, fondupot said:

Neat. I just pulled those two fuses on my 2022 LTD. Went for a drive to the tire shop and back, about 40 minutes round trip. AFM mode was not super noticeable before, but I could tell when it turned on. After removing the two fuses, no CEL, but haven't noticed any difference in how it runs. Will keep an eye on it and report back in a few days.

I really hope this works. AFM/DFM stinks. 

Honda cylinder deactivation is called “VCM”. My Pilot stopped burning oil immediately after I installed a VCM Disabler. 

23 hours ago, Churchill729 said:

I really hope this works. AFM/DFM stinks. 

Honda cylinder deactivation is called “VCM”. My Pilot stopped burning oil immediately after I installed a VCM Disabler. 

So after driving for with the fuses removed for about a week, I don't think pulling the fuses accomplishes anything. At lower speeds (45-50mph) on smooth flat roads, I can still feel the AFM kicking in. It's subtle, but It's noticeable. Now this is just me going by feel and experience on how AFM works in previous vehicles. I have no scientific proof. I wonder if someone with some type of a scan tool can check definitively to see if when the vehicle engages 2 cylinder AFM mode, vs normal 4 cylinder mode.

I am going to leave the fuses out for this entire oil change though, to see if it makes any difference in oil consumption as someone else mentioned above.

On 12/30/2022 at 11:50 PM, Texas_Pete said:

My 2022 LTD With 2.7 was consuming almost 3 quarts a oil change with no answers from dealer but I have slowed it way down myself and stopped the AFM from working also in the fuse box under the hood pull the 2 fuses marked AFM1 and AFM2 I believe they are #60 and #67 but anyway no check engine light or stupid AFM and only was a little over half quart low on a 5000 mile oil change 

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Texas_Pete.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your truck. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Texas_Pete/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• Like 1

What your feeling is the mid lift valves kicking in and out for some reason like you said when there is very little load on the truck it will still run the mid lift valves  but has completely shut off going into 2 cylinder mode and caused it from consuming so much oil I changed the oil yesterday at 4200 miles and 1 quart low and never added any throughout 

On 1/9/2023 at 12:25 PM, Texas_Pete said:

What your feeling is the mid lift valves kicking in and out for some reason like you said when there is very little load on the truck it will still run the mid lift valves  but has completely shut off going into 2 cylinder mode and caused it from consuming so much oil I changed the oil yesterday at 4200 miles and 1 quart low and never added any throughout 

Were you able to confirm that AFM is actually disabled (with the fuses removed) with a scan tool or something? Glad to hear your oil consumption has reduced significantly.

Edited by fondupot

13 hours ago, fondupot said:

Were you able to confirm that AFM is actually disabled (with the fuses removed) with a scan tool or something? Glad to hear your oil consumption has reduced significantly.

Yes with scan tool hooked up the truck never lost spark at any cylinder on a 80 mile drive but it still will engage the mid lift valves but one of the down sides I went from 17mpg to 14mpg but that was expected 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 10:32 AM, Texas_Pete said:

Yes with scan tool hooked up the truck never lost spark at any cylinder on a 80 mile drive but it still will engage the mid lift valves but one of the down sides I went from 17mpg to 14mpg but that was expected 

Interesting. Ok. I haven't noticed an MPG losses yet with the fuses removed. My average is still between 19-21 with 75% highway, 25% around town. Will be interested to see if my oil consumption goes down. I am going to check the oil at 3000 miles on the current oil change. I have about 1500 more miles to go. Will report back with my findings.

• 4 weeks later...

Just checked my oil after ~2700 miles on the current oil change. I removed the fuses for AFM1 and AFM2 near the beginning of this oil change. I am running 5W30 full syn Valvoline this time.

Checked the oil with the engine cold, sitting for 3ish hours since last drove.

Oil showed on the dipstick about 1/2 way up the hatch marks.

This is considerably better than the last time I checked (when I had the fuses for AFM1 and AFM2 still installed). The oil level was barely on the dipstick after checking around 3000 miles on an oil change.

As long as I’m running Mobil 1 in my 2022 refresh TB, it seems to not use oil. I’m running 0w-30 in it now as it’s been getting down to -30f some mornings and it hasn’t used a drop in 3000 miles. The one time I noticed big oil usage was on a long hard running trip with dealer oil shortly after I bought the truck. I’m not sure if it was still breaking in or what.

Edited by Texcl2

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: 3700 miles on my current oil change. So an additional 1000 miles since I posted on February 4th. I checked the oil today, the truck was sitting for ~4 hours when I checked it. Oil showed on the dipstick right at 1/2 way up the hatch marks again. No sign of oil consumption so far with AFM1 and AFM2 fuses pulled. My OLM is at 48%. The oil used on this oil change is Valvoline Full syn 5W30.

• 9 months later...

Using a 2021 Chevy Silverado 1500 regular cab 2wd with the 2.7 to tow a lawn mower trailer daily.  Oil life was at 19%.  Sticker the dealer put on the windshield says change oil when the oil life gets to 5%.  Check engine light went on.  Immediately called the dealer.  When they checked the engine light it was because of low oil.  Dipstick had no oil on it.  Turns out it was 8000 miles since I changed the oil.  Don't go by the oil life percentage.  I plan on checking my oil once a week going forward.  Truck currently has 20,000 miles on it.

Edited by Mike Remo

Just to give everyone an update on my 2022 Silverado LTD 2.7 the motor damn near exploded 68,000 miles left me with an out of warranty truck tank motor that needed $9800 for repair That was the first Chevy I’ve ever bought and that was the last cause that 22 Silverado has put me to driving 2002 350 with 300,000 miles and running like a champ go Ford Motor Company Seriously worse experiencing my life was buying this truck

Edited by Texas_Pete
  • Sad 1

On 12/9/2023 at 8:33 PM, Texas_Pete said:

Just to give everyone an update on my 2022 Silverado LTD 2.7 the motor damn near exploded 68,000 miles left me with an out of warranty truck tank motor that needed $9800 for repair That was the first Chevy I’ve ever bought and that was the last cause that 22 Silverado has put me to driving 2002 350 with 300,000 miles and running like a champ go Ford Motor Company Seriously worse experiencing my life was buying this truck

Damn! Sorry to hear.

I'm right around 95,000 miles and my 2.7 seems to be chugging along fine. Knock on wood.

Edited by fondupot