15 hours ago, silveradosid said:

as much as i have enjoyed this engine, it seems that i have a bad one. this morning when i started the truck it has now developed a loud ticking noise from the top of the engine which is probably https://gm-techlink.com/?p=16219 valve problems. i really dont know what to do at this point

How many miles on this engine?

On 12/29/2023 at 6:01 AM, silveradosid said:

as much as i have enjoyed this engine, it seems that i have a bad one. this morning when i started the truck it has now developed a loud ticking noise from the top of the engine which is probably https://gm-techlink.com/?p=16219 valve problems. i really dont know what to do at this point

It stinks but get it fixed on your dime before it starts spitting needles and breaks something more expensive. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just found mine is also consuming oil. Nothing is on the dipstick today. I am now at 38,000 miles. I have changed oil and filter by myself since at 30,000 miles, using Mobil 1 and AcDelco PF66 filter. Most recently did at 35,000 miles. Should I now start a long battle with my dealer or just add 1 qt then enjoy mine with the powertrain warranty and then start the battle when the warranty is expired and my engine has problems? Otherwise, my truck works fine with normal oil pressure. Thanks.

Let it sit for several hours and then check the oil again. I had that happen once and I went back out and checked it later, and it was halfway up the stick.takes a long time for it to drain sometimes for whatever reason.

Oh, I have found an interesting service bulletin (bulletin #: 03-06-01-023E), showing, "The accepted rate of oil consumption for gasoline engines in vehicles at or above 8600 GVW is 0.946 liter (1 qt) within 379 liters (100 gallons) of fuel used" Based on this bulletin, my case seems to be normal...? which is interesting..... If I bring my truck to the dealer, they will say the same thing.... 

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10211061-0001.pdf

To be honest with you, I don't mind adding 1-2 qt oil between oil changes (4-5K miles) unless my engine has problems requiring $$$-$$$$ especially when out of warranty, though some said excessive oil consumption was not covered by warranty... which is also confusing. Some owners who continuously add oil say the truck is just working perfectly, hitting nearly 100K miles. Mine too... normal oil pressure and working just fine until I found nothing was on the dipstick at 38,000 miles today, which was around 3/4 on the dipstick when I changed the oil at 35,000 miles. Can you recommend what I should do at this point? Keep changing the oil and monitoring its level until "excessive" oil consumption occurs, which will be more than 1 qt in 2000 miles in my case, or just go to the dealer? Thank you.

Edited by Interleukin6

31 minutes ago, Interleukin6 said:

Oh, I have found an interesting service bulletin (bulletin #: 03-06-01-023E), showing, "The accepted rate of oil consumption for gasoline engines in vehicles at or above 8600 GVW is 0.946 liter (1 qt) within 379 liters (100 gallons) of fuel used" Based on this bulletin, my case seems to be normal...? which is interesting..... If I bring my truck to the dealer, they will say the same thing.... 

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10211061-0001.pdf

To be honest with you, I don't mind adding 1-2 qt oil between oil changes (4-5K miles) unless my engine has problems requiring $$$-$$$$ especially when out of warranty, though some said excessive oil consumption was not covered by warranty... which is also confusing. Some owners who continuously add oil say the truck is just working perfectly, hitting nearly 100K miles. Mine too... normal oil pressure and working just fine until I found nothing was on the dipstick at 38,000 miles today, which was around 3/4 on the dipstick when I changed the oil at 35,000 miles. Can you recommend what I should do at this point? Keep changing the oil and monitoring its level until "excessive" oil consumption occurs, which will be more than 1 qt in 2000 miles in my case, or just go to the dealer? Thank you.

IMHO I would go to the dealer and start the Oil Consumption Testing procedure. Document all your results and keep any paperwork for any possible settlements in the future. There seems to be an awful lot of these motors using oil. That is not normal oil consumption for an engine with 38,000 miles on it.

On 1/10/2024 at 10:40 PM, Bikerjon said:

IMHO I would go to the dealer and start the Oil Consumption Testing procedure. Document all your results and keep any paperwork for any possible settlements in the future. There seems to be an awful lot of these motors using oil. That is not normal oil consumption for an engine with 38,000 miles on it.

After all math, i am pretty sure my engine (2022 LTD LT 1500 2.7T currently at 38,000 miles) has consumed 0.75-1 qt oil in 3000 miles, which seems to be similar to other 2.7s... As we know, GM says 1 qt oil consumption in 2000 miles is acceptable (for not only 2.7Ts), which means it is still normal adding 3.25 qt oil between 7500 mile oil change intervals recommended by GM (ya~ we change oil sooner)? Really...? 3.25 qt is 54.16% of oil capacity (6 qt) for these engines!!!! From further research, i was shocked tons of vehicles (even from different makers) have been involved in “excessive oil consumption” issues. Is this some kind of trend in current engines? I feel there is no point bring my truck to the dealer for the oil consuming test because they will say it is still normal and also documentation will not be considered for any possible settlements in the future because again they will say it is still normal. How other 2.7 owners are dealing with this issue? Can anyone share experiences of any engine repairs under warranty or out of pocket and also tell me highest mileages on these engines without issues to know how reliable they are? Thanks.

Edited by Interleukin6
  • Like 1

i had mine in the dealership for an oil leak, which they said was caused by a fram oil filter which i knew bull crap. i have done 2 oil changes since the dealer change and it is still leaking oil. last weekend i decided to try and find it. the leak is so bad now that it leaks oil down the side of the engine and on the exhaust and i can smell it when the heater is on, have to leave in the heater in recirculate all the time. the oil leak is on the back of the engine and below the cam carrier. the only thing left is the secondary oil separator and it appears to be leaking out the bottom of the cover. the secondary oil separator has a part number but it has no price listed and is not available. this is what i was told at the gm parts department and they showed me screen to prove to me that it is not available. i can buy the gasket but not the part. this is all part of the pvc system which is why i have oil leaking out of my after cooler pipes. i now need to see if the pvc system is covered under the emmissions warranty to try and make gm fix this problem for a parts that is not available

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...