57 minutes ago, newdude said:

I pulled this straight from the owners manual.  It applies to all GM engines so this isn't 2.7T specific.  

Also, the 2 hours is their ideal time frame.  15 minutes hot or 1/2 hour warm is acceptable as well.

No doubt. One of the many I either couldn’t or didn’t follow. Like their break in procedure. Nonsense in my world with no adverse effects. I had one of the few rotary engines that didn’t use oil. Can’t even count how many flat shifts it had before the 600 miles break in. Mostly by my father before I got my license. When we test drove his V-10 Ram we had rubber dripping off the wheel wells. I’ll take it, he said to the salesman. 👍

11 hours ago, newdude said:

I pulled this straight from the owners manual.  It applies to all GM engines so this isn't 2.7T specific.  

I learned this by doing. I have two GM ECOTEC 2.4 I-4's. One has 190K on it the other 14K on it. They act identically. 

I've started doing overnight oil changes in them. Changing to a fresh container after draining 4 hours will catch an additional half pint of oil over the next eight hours. That's 20% of the hatched range for those motors. If you drain like they do at a Quick Lube and add the five quarts it asks for you will be exactly half a quart over full. Checking oil during a fuel stop will show half a quart low if it started just full. When I want to know what the 'real' level is I pull the stick the night before (level spot or leveling). Insert fully the next morning and turn one full rotation. With draw and it is what it is. If you pull and wipe it draws oil up the tube which changes the reading about a half pint. This waffle stick dip stick is garbage as are S bend tubes. Who designs the garbage? :crazy:

If you add oil wait at least 4 hours before checking to see if it was enough.  :nonod:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I learned this by doing. I have two GM ECOTEC 2.4 I-4's. One has 190K on it the other 14K on it. They act identically. 

I've started doing overnight oil changes in them. Changing to a fresh container after draining 4 hours will catch an additional half pint of oil over the next eight hours. That's 20% of the hatched range for those motors. If you drain like they do at a Quick Lube and add the five quarts it asks for you will be exactly half a quart over full. Checking oil during a fuel stop will show half a quart low if it started just full. When I want to know what the 'real' level is I pull the stick the night before (level spot or leveling). Insert fully the next morning and turn one full rotation. With draw and it is what it is. If you pull and wipe it draws oil up the tube which changes the reading about a half pint. This waffle stick dip stick is garbage as are S bend tubes. Who designs the garbage? :crazy:

If you add oil wait at least 4 hours before checking to see if it was enough.  :nonod:

I used to run them 1/2 quart low for this reason, and for racing.  Now I use a longer filter.  

• Like 1

2022 LTD 2.7T checked cold this am level in insulated garage.  Dipstick 1/4 qt off full in ~3000 miles.  Running Amsoil Signature Series 5w30.  If it will consume that chemistry it will consume any.  18600 miles or so on odometer. 

Got a feeling this engine underside piston cooling may contribute to oil consumption in higher boost than normal driving. 

Reason I say that is that I had to drive to Colorado Springs airport and back in traffic on I-25 that was moving quick, 75 mph+ without getting run over.  It may have used a majority of that 1/4 qt on that 300 mile round trip vs the 3000 miles so far. 

Only other time it used any oil was a longer drain on a road trip where we drove hard in bursts. 

Normal driving around the home base it doesn't show any dipstick checked consumption.  

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 6:22 AM, swathdiver said:

I used to run them 1/2 quart low for this reason, and for racing.  Now I use a longer filter.  

Racing a Bilmar built Oldsracing 2.3 Quad 4 we added a qt over before every IMSA race to not run out of oil over 3 hours of racing.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, customboss said:

Racing a Bilmar built Oldsracing 2.3 Quad 4 we added a qt over before every IMSA race to not run out of oil over 3 hours of racing.  

That's a motor I always wanted to own!  Couldn't find an excuse to buy an Olds Achieva SCX with 7 cars at the time.

As for the oil level, our races were a quarter mile at a time, we didn't have that issue!  Got any photos of the race car?

Edited by swathdiver
  • Like 1

Just finished changing the oil on my 2022 LTD Custom 2.7L. I checked the oil level before changing and it was about halfway on the dipstick, after sitting overnight.

After changing the oil, I dumped the oil oil into a 5 quart jug and barely got to the 5 quart mark on it. Now I did spill some during the draining process, and there is a little bit of oil retained in the filter, but not a full quart of oil. This leads me to believe this motor burns about 5/8 to 3/4 quart of oil between oil changes.

This time my OLM was 18%. There was 6100 miles on this oil change. Using 5W30 Mobil1. AC Delco Filter.

Is this acceptable oil consumption for this motor? To me, no. I healthy motor should burn less than a 1/4 quart of oil in the span of a oil change. IMHO.

If this was my personal truck I might be a little more concerned. But this is a company truck, and I'll just keep changing the oil around between 15-20% OLM and call it good. I am in the habit of checking the dipstick when I fill up for gas, so if I notice it's getting dangerously low, I'll top it off.

• Like 1

I’ll keep and eye on mine, so far no issues. I had an oil consumption issue with my 2008 suburban that i bought new and the dealer said 1 quart every 1500 miles was acceptable lol. I sold it at 100k and was totally reliable but always used oil. My next car a Subaru was almost as bad. My Toyotas, nissans and Hondas don’t use any oil nor did my f-150. I have the HO engine you guys with the ltd’s have the 1st gen 2.7, so maybe they fixed it with the newer generation I know mine has a different block pistons and crank, supposedly to make it more durable.

It's completely acceptable for an automotive engine to use a quart of oil every 5,000 miles or so, there is nothing to "fix" in that case. There isn't a manufacturer or dealer that will look into an excessive oil usage complaint unless said engine is using a quart every 1,000 to 1,500 miles, and then it will have to be monitored and  documented by an authorized dealer if seeking a warranty repair. 

Honestly I’m more worried about gasoline diluting the oil. These definitely do that and is why I change the oil every 3k-4K. I’ve had a couple Chevy mechanics say most major engine problems were caused by folks following the change engine oil light and not changing the oil at more frequent intervals and these are friends that know I change my own oil so no sales pressure. Now Chevy has had a history of engines that defectively consumed oil like the 5.3’s from 2007 to like 2014. So this should be in the backs of our minds and we shouldn’t discount what others are seeing wholesale. 

Edited by Texcl2

• 2 months later...

My 2022 LTD With 2.7 was consuming almost 3 quarts a oil change with no answers from dealer but I have slowed it way down myself and stopped the AFM from working also in the fuse box under the hood pull the 2 fuses marked AFM1 and AFM2 I believe they are #60 and #67 but anyway no check engine light or stupid AFM and only was a little over half quart low on a 5000 mile oil change