I had seen some posts about concerns with excess oil consumption on silverados with 2.7.  My 2019 has 57,000 miles on it and has from my estimation consistently used one quart or more per 2,000 miles.  I brought it to the dealership attention. They did some checking and there was some leakage at valve covers, but they did not offer to do anything.  They informed me that GM considered oil use of one quart per 2,000 miles acceptable. Their answer was to do an oil consumption check by coming to the dealership every 500 miles to have the oil level checked.  The dealership is 40 miles from me so makes it tough and tried to talk to closer dealership about doing this, but they said I had to go to dealership where I purchased.  I feel it’s a runaround and frustrated.  I’ve owned new s-10, Colorado, and 2 silverados and this is the only oil consumer.  Please email me if you’ve had oil consumption concerns/issues. [email protected].  Looking to contact state attorney generals offices and find legal team to tackle this issue.  I’ve been loyal GM customer and now getting kicked to the curb and not willing to accept it!  

I don’t own your engine. I had a similar experience with the mighty GM small block. Out of many I’ve owned one was an oil user. The response from GM was the same. The results was through the 7 years I owned the vehicle it never changed. 

Some engines use oil and it sucks, but that's the way it is and there isn't anything that can be done about it without tearing the engine down.  Luckily, most engines that burn oil from the factory never really experience an increase in consumption so its a non issue other than having to add additional oil occasionally.  

On 8/8/2022 at 2:24 AM, Dave-Minnesota said:

I had seen some posts about concerns with excess oil consumption on silverados with 2.7.  My 2019 has 57,000 miles on it and has from my estimation consistently used one quart or more per 2,000 miles.  I brought it to the dealership attention. They did some checking and there was some leakage at valve covers, but they did not offer to do anything.  They informed me that GM considered oil use of one quart per 2,000 miles acceptable. Their answer was to do an oil consumption check by coming to the dealership every 500 miles to have the oil level checked.  The dealership is 40 miles from me so makes it tough and tried to talk to closer dealership about doing this, but they said I had to go to dealership where I purchased.  I feel it’s a runaround and frustrated.  I’ve owned new s-10, Colorado, and 2 silverados and this is the only oil consumer.  Please email me if you’ve had oil consumption concerns/issues. [email protected].  Looking to contact state attorney generals offices and find legal team to tackle this issue.  I’ve been loyal GM customer and now getting kicked to the curb and not willing to accept it!  

Yea unfortunately for GM and oil consumption it must be documented by the dealer for warranty.  

The closer dealer was rude in telling you that they couldn't be of help IMO.

Going the "legal" route won't get you anywhere.  You are just side stepping the work that has to be done anyway, you have to have documented proof of the consumption from the dealer.  

The one or two 2.7s I've heard of with oil consumption were found to have turbo leaks, so your servicing dealer should have changed the oil when you went there, added dye and then started a consumption test.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I had a 5.3 that used a quart every 1500 miles by 30k miles. They did the test, confirmed it used gobs of oil and said it was within normal parameters lol. It never got worse, thank goodness it has a low oil sensor.  I’d think they treat the 2.7 differently, they aren’t known oil users so there must be an issue.

Edited by Texcl2

I just did an oil change on my "new to me" 2.7L work truck. I noticed after draining the old oil and dumping the old oil into my emptied new oil containers...i was about 1.25-1.5 quarts low. I don't know how many miles were on the current oil change, the OLM was down to 9%. Longer than I would typically run. Usually I do oil changes when I breach 20% on the OLM.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, 

It appears all these gas engines from the 2019 and newer half tons are consuming oil. I hear a lot of the same and worse consumption from other GM and Chevy owners in my area.

My oil consumption issue was first noticed @ 46000 kms in (March 2022) roughly 1000 kms from previous oil service. The "add oil indicator" came on (PANIC Situation). When i pulled the dipstick there was nothing visible! Rather than add to fill i drained the oil and filter to see what was left in the sump. This 5.3 has a 9 quarts capacity and i was down roughly 4 quarts.

I have since been to my dealer twice and both times sent on a 3000 km oil consumption test checked every 500 kms and recorded after 15 min shutdown. 

Perhaps maybe the first time back in Feb / March i idled my vehicle to often (as we had -40 Celsius weather consistently) so that was a possible cause. However since that time I have put on 20000 kms and on average I burn 1 quart / 1000 kms. (on occasion I will get puff of blue out the tail pipe at start up and can smell burning oil) but not always.

It has a struggle with my dealer! they "GM Canada and Shop foreman" have basically called me a liar saying there is no way it will burn so much.

Now after all these added kms this dealer wants the truck back to tear apart the engine to investigate why this is happening. I live up northern Canada and It is a 6400 kms round trip to my dealer which explains the roughly 21000 kms added in 5 months (now at 67000 kms). Those 2 trips to my dealer cost me @ 7 grand for a carrier, fuel, hotels and 2 flights etc. That has cost a lot of money, headache, downtime, wasted travel and unnecessary added kms taken from my basic 60k / 3 yr factory warranty which General Motors Canada will not be paying back!

I say these newer engines have an issue!

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Denali Driver said:

Hi, 

It appears all these gas engines from the 2019 and newer half tons are consuming oil. I hear a lot of the same and worse consumption from other GM and Chevy owners in my area.

My oil consumption issue was first noticed @ 46000 kms in (March 2022) roughly 1000 kms from previous oil service. The "add oil indicator" came on (PANIC Situation). When i pulled the dipstick there was nothing visible! Rather than add to fill i drained the oil and filter to see what was left in the sump. This 5.3 has a 9 quarts capacity and i was down roughly 4 quarts.

I have since been to my dealer twice and both times sent on a 3000 km oil consumption test checked every 500 kms and recorded after 15 min shutdown. 

Perhaps maybe the first time back in Feb / March i idled my vehicle to often (as we had -40 Celsius weather consistently) so that was a possible cause. However since that time I have put on 20000 kms and on average I burn 1 quart / 1000 kms. (on occasion I will get puff of blue out the tail pipe at start up and can smell burning oil) but not always.

It has a struggle with my dealer! they "GM Canada and Shop foreman" have basically called me a liar saying there is no way it will burn so much.

Now after all these added kms this dealer wants the truck back to tear apart the engine to investigate why this is happening. I live up northern Canada and It is a 6400 kms round trip to my dealer which explains the roughly 21000 kms added in 5 months (now at 67000 kms). Those 2 trips to my dealer cost me @ 7 grand for a carrier, fuel, hotels and 2 flights etc. That has cost a lot of money, headache, downtime, wasted travel and unnecessary added kms taken from my basic 60k / 3 yr factory warranty which General Motors Canada will not be paying back!

I say these newer engines have an issue!

My experience with Ford and GM is 1 qt per 2500 miles is within normal range. Some say 1qt per 1000 miles. At the rate your burning money trading in may be the cheaper course. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2019 2.7 that I bought new with about 58,000 miles on it now.  I run OLM to less than 10% each time using Amsoil SS oil.

I currently have 5,000 miles on my current oil and the OLM is at about 10%.  I checked the oil and noticed it was a quart low, not even reading on the dipstick.  Put a quart in and brought it back up to the hash marks.

On 9/23/2022 at 10:55 AM, Gangly said:

I change mine around the 5% mark and I have never noticed any loss of oil on the 5.3 engine.  I wonder if the engines are being too babied when new and the rings aren't seating properly?

That's always a possibility.  Some 20 years ago when I was in tech school, an engine performance instructor swore by breaking in a vehicle how you plan to drive it.  If you don't give it a little love, the rings won't seal.  On the other hand, I have had other "experts" say the exact opposite and needed to follow break-in procedures.

I can tell you from my experience building HD motors, I never follow the break-in instructions.  they don't allow for proper ring seating, IMO.  At 10k miles on the build, the motor is still breaking in.  Performance is much better than the first 1k miles.  Doesn't noticeably use oil.

I just changed my oil again, my 2.7 uses a touch more than a quart in 5,000 miles. 3 changes in 15,000 miles, all about the same usage. I'm ok with that, pretty normal and inline with most all my cars in the past.

Edited by Acpantera