unexpected custom upgrades

Well, long story here so I'll get to it.  Back at end of June I drove my truck to work 2 days before we were getting ready to leave for a 2 week camping trip to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  As I was leaving work a jackass ran stop sign and hit me in the side doing $6k worth of damage to my 6 month old/3,000 mile new truck.  I was super pissed and sad at the same time.  Dropped the truck off immediately to body shop to repair and borrowed a truck for our trip.  Of course body shop had trouble getting parts so truck finally just got finished, a little over a month later.

Luckily I saw the dude coming out of corner of my eye and sped up or he would have T-boned me right in the drivers door, but instead hit directly into the drivers rear wheel and bed.  Wheel was cracked and sidewall of tire sliced, along with bedside damage and rear bumper tore up.  I was able to get both bumpers upgraded to color matched instead of back to the plain old black.  So my custom got a little bit of an upgrade.  Sucked being without the truck for over a month and not having it for our trip which was the main reason we bought it in the first place, but oh well, it's now back in my hands and loving the new look.

painted front bumper.jpg

painted rear bumper.jpg

rear damage.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jagerschnapps1 said:

Sorry you had the accident but It looks good. I have the same truck and was thinking of doing the same to just my front bumper. 

thanks.  It’s been very frustrating to say the least.  Thinking of swapping to oem led headlights next.  Just gotta talk myself inti turning loose of the money for the swap.

35 minutes ago, 77xbody said:

Did you paint the door handles when you did the bumpers ?

It looks great, I'm going to paint my bumpers white to match my white custom. I tried to like the gloss black bumpers but color match looks so much better..unless your truck is black 😁

no, I did those a few months ago.  That was a whole other fiasco in itself with its own thread haha.  I’m same as you, tried to like the black but just wasn’t doin it for me.  I originally wanted to order black truck but we live on one of the few gravel roads left in our County so it would be filthy all the time.  The Silver doesn’t look as dirty so settled for that instead.

Glad it wasn't worse. You might give some lazfit a try. I have their led in both high and low. Also the the front turn signals. I'd like to eventually do the oem led swap as well. Problem is production was so low initially that parts are sky high. I'm liking the lazfits in themean time. You might also want to look into the steering wheel swap. I haven't gotten to Wams gauge cluster swap yet, but just having the leather wheel there is cozy enough for now. Kinda disappointed the thread isn't about your ride through the U.P. with your new truck though. 

Currently have lasfit led bulbs.  I do like them, just really love the look of the led drl’s of the oem led headlights.  I think the light output is actually better with my current setup with the lasfit leds.  I am also running a Gen5diy harness for fogs that allows all 6 on high.  I hate having my actual headlights as the drl’s.  Steering wheel is on the list.  I actually had bought one a few months back but didn’t realize it was the wrong color so had to turn around and resell it.  Haven’t messed with buying another yet.

Yes we were super bummed to not have our truck for the trip.  I guess it got to keep a couple extra thousand miles off it though.  Borrowed a Ram 3500 HD dually Diesel that couldn’t even tell our camper was behind it.    That made me kind if regret not buying a diesel truck.